Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please clue me in on biting each other

ancientgirl
March 11th, 2009, 01:53 PM
In the past week or so I've noticed something. When Vlad and Maks are playing, or when Maks goes to run up against Vlad, Vlad will bite at Maks' butt and legs. Not really bite, but you know, like nip at him. Yesterday I noticed Czari do this to Maks too.

Is this a form of letting the cat being nipped at know who's boss?

TacoGrl
March 11th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Butt and legs eh? LoL! When my two go at it, they go for the throat, stomach and face...both of them!!! Seth had his hand on Messina's tail and was biting her shoulder the other day until she got tired of it and smacked him in the head and then the REAL fun began!!!

I think it is just play...one will be sitting there minding their own business and the other will come along and bite or hit to engage the other...no screams or anything...they aren't hurting each other...no claws out either...just having fun. :shrug:

ancientgirl
March 11th, 2009, 02:56 PM
LOL, okay, that is probably what it is. It usually happens when Maks is walking either past one or just walking in the general area. He, however does like to play/fight with Kiska and I have seen him bite at her neck. :rolleyes:

Dracko
March 11th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I don't know the message it is sending to the other cat but mine do it too. It seems to be just a smart way to try to get at the other one w/o being vulnerable to getting nipped too. Never starts a fight. Just play.

14+kitties
March 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM
You should see TT doing it to Sammy! :eek: The other night Sammy was lying in the middle of the living room floor minding her own business. Timmy decided her back leg looked really good. He plopped down beside it and started nomming!! Sammy just laid there thank dawg! He does it to the other ones too. Harmless play. If one starts yeowling too much I stop it.

ancientgirl
March 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys. It's always nice to know mine aren't the only ones who do this stuff.

Love4himies
March 11th, 2009, 05:38 PM
You should see TT doing it to Sammy! :eek: The other night Sammy was lying in the middle of the living room floor minding her own business. Timmy decided her back leg looked really good. He plopped down beside it and started nomming!! Sammy just laid there thank dawg! He does it to the other ones too. Harmless play. If one starts yeowling too much I stop it.

Now I need to see pics :yell: :D Haven't seen any of TT lately :sad:

I think it is just a way to ask: "Wanna play?" Jasper doesn't do that, but it could because he is never sure what mood the girls are in :laughing:.

ancientgirl
March 11th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Jasper doesn't do that, but it could because he is never sure what mood the girls are in :laughing:.

LOL, Jasper is one smart boy.

Jim Hall
March 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
ahh haaa the old ambush trick manda seys up for it but almost always thinks better of it