Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crate & Xpen training ???

pwrca
March 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I've been pretty sucessful training Mooshie (mini, short hair, male daxie) who is now 3 months old. We haven't had an accident indoors for about 2 weeks now. My question is, when I go out I've put him in his open crate inside his xpen, with the door open so he can access his food and water; I usually put down a puppy pad so he can do his business if he has to. Experience to date is; he will usually pee/poop on the puppy pad but, will then pull his blanket out of the crate and scrunch up the puppy pad. Am I doing the right thing? Or, should I just crate him, door closed, and make him wait till we get home? He is 3 months old, how long can I expect him to hold his ellimination? If I'm gone 5 - 6 hours, he should have access to his food & water shouldn't he?

SnowDancer
March 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM
My Dachshunds were not crated, so perhaps I am not the best person to address this issues. Except of course to point out that Dachshunds do have small bladders - even when fully grown - and your pup is only 3 months. Re the pulling out of the blanket that is 100% normal Dachshund behaviour as is scrunching up the pee pad - Heck I am surprised that he hasn't eaten it as yet. That in itself is amazing. I would also watch the blanket as he develops because when he goes through the chewing phase, blankets are very popular and you may not be so lucky as to have a thick thread wrapped around a canine going down his throat and wrapping itself around an intestines - the good news in our case is that our guy did - so we knew to get to emergency fast. Each of our 5 mini Dachshunds had a speciality item to chew - all starting with blankets and then developing their own favourite - leather; lingerie or silky stuff; blankets or flannel - that type of thing. Once when we had 4 Dachshunds I did a test - I put an item of each type on the bed and watched them - once they had each gone for their favourite item, they ceased to be interested. I was at the ready to pull the items away. I of course was especially watchful with my Alpha, although he could deny Mommy nothing. I would not deprive your Dachshund of food/water - it is very important to a Dachshund, but then that is just me, a Dachshund groupie.

SnowDancer
March 11th, 2009, 07:53 PM
My Dachshunds were not crated, so perhaps I am not the best person to address this issues. Except of course to point out that Dachshunds do have small bladders - even when fully grown - and your pup is only 3 months. Re the pulling out of the blanket that is 100% normal Dachshund behaviour as is scrunching up the pee pad - Heck I am surprised that he hasn't eaten it as yet. That in itself is amazing. I would also watch the blanket as he develops because when he goes through the chewing phase, blankets are very popular and you may not be so lucky as to have a thick thread wrapped around a canine going down his throat and wrapping itself around an intestines - the good news in our case is that our guy did - so we knew to get to emergency fast. Each of our 5 mini Dachshunds had a speciality item to chew - all starting with blankets and then developing their own favourite - leather; lingerie or silky stuff; blankets or flannel - that type of thing. Once when we had 4 Dachshunds I did a test - I put an item of each type on the bed and watched them - once they had each gone for their favourite item, they ceased to be interested. I was at the ready to pull the items away. I of course was especially watchful with my Alpha, although he could deny Mommy nothing. I would not deprive your Dachshund of food/water - it is very important to a Dachshund, but then that is just me, a Dachshund groupie.