Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Miniature husky or AKK breeders in BC?

LittleMonster
March 9th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Does anyone know of good AKK or miniature husky breeders in BC? I'll take rescue organizations too actually, so if you have contacts post them/pm them. I've tried googling and only found a couple of websites. One was charging upwards of $1500 for a puppy. waaaaah??? :eek: I thought only awesome breeds like pure bred labradoodles could command such high prices! (joking)

I may want to get another puppy in the near future and wanted to do some looking. Yes I may look at shelters too when the time comes but this is all for research purposes.

Thank you!

Scuba
March 9th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Does anyone know of good AKK or miniature husky breeders in BC? I'll take rescue organizations too actually, so if you have contacts post them/pm them. I've tried googling and only found a couple of websites. One was charging upwards of $1500 for a puppy. waaaaah??? :eek: I thought only awesome breeds like pure bred labradoodles could command such high prices! (joking)

I may want to get another puppy in the near future and wanted to do some looking. Yes I may look at shelters too when the time comes but this is all for research purposes.

Thank you!

"pure bred labradoodles" is an oxymoron. They are known as designer breeds. Why people will pay big money for them, I don't know. Most likely because they are like a brand or because it is fashionable. Please don't buy from breeders that sell these types of dogs.

LittleMonster
March 9th, 2009, 11:04 PM
yes... obviously you didn't read the whole line. :rolleyes:

back on topic, are AKK's a legititimate breed? Forgive my noobism but Im no expert on these dogs. I didn't find them on the CKC website, and wikipedia says they are only recognized by the UKC.

growler~GateKeeper
March 9th, 2009, 11:29 PM
The Alaskan Klee Kai is not recognised by the Canadian Kennel Club it is also not recognised by the American Kennel Club.

There are no breeders registered with the AKK Association in Canada, here is the site for the AKK rescue: http://alaskankleekainationalrescue.com/index.html

Have you checked www.petfinder.org for a homeless dog looking for a home?

Scuba
March 9th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I don't know of any miniature husky rescues in BC, but there is an Alaskan Eskimo Dog rescue in BC that I know of. Not exactly what you are looking for but don't know of anything else.

You got to take into consideration that the miniature husky was on purposely breed to be smaller by people. That makes them no different than a pugle (pug x beagle) in my eyes. The AKK was originally a mistake, then some breeders breed them for their specific size and looks. That smacks of designer breeding to me as well.

Too bad you weren't a member a few months ago. I would have had exactly what you were looking for.

LittleMonster
March 9th, 2009, 11:56 PM
i see i see.

To be honest I was just browsing and these "breeds" caught my attention. I have no solid plans to get another dog, but will definitely check out the local pound if the decision is made.

You bring up an interesting point though, maybe fit for another thread. What makes miniature american eskimo or the north american version of the pomeranian legitimate breeds? After all, both of these breeds were bred down in size from larger dogs.

well, thanks for the info so far.

Scuba
March 10th, 2009, 12:25 AM
i see i see.

To be honest I was just browsing and these "breeds" caught my attention. I have no solid plans to get another dog, but will definitely check out the local pound if the decision is made.

You bring up an interesting point though, maybe fit for another thread. What makes miniature american eskimo or the north american version of the pomeranian legitimate breeds? After all, both of these breeds were bred down in size from larger dogs.

well, thanks for the info so far.

Well, it is all dependent on who you talk to. If a bunch of people decide, "Hey this breed is legitimate! Lets get it registered within our organisation." Then to them that would be a legitimate breed. Perception is reality.

shirley1011
March 10th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Why not look at the Norwegian Elkhound or Keeshonds both small
husky type dogs. Norwegian Elkhound ASS. Canada is in BC and may be able to help you with a rescue there when the time comes. Have done rescues for them here in Ontario.

clm
March 10th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Why not look at the Norwegian Elkhound or Keeshonds both small
husky type dogs. Norwegian Elkhound ASS. Canada is in BC and may be able to help you with a rescue there when the time comes. Have done rescues for them here in Ontario.

Absolutely, both wonderful breeds. The keeshond is a touch smaller than the Norwegian Elkhound I think. My guys are two sizes, lol. Baxter is pushing 60lbs and Bentley is 20lbs lighter. Quite the size range even within the breed itself. But you gotta like grooming if you get a Keeshond.

The Shiba Inu is another smaller type husky breed. Their weight range is 17 - 23lbs.

Cindy

SnowDancer
March 10th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I have a small Standard American Eskimo - his ideal weight is 22 lbs. He is about to turn 5 and so far has been extremely healthy. The minis that are maybe 15 lbs. are perhaps more prone to health problems, but there are no guarantees. Personally, I would absolutely never get a dog that had been bred down to reduce size - hence the small Standard Eskie. My only problem is that my guy is white and my clothes use to be black. The Keeshond as CLM pointed out is a lovely dog - and actually has the easiest going temperament of the Spitz family - I have met a few and I love their colouring. Both of CLMs are in the appropriate size range for the breed. If you go to the specific Eskimo site - www.eskie.net, there is a thread going on right now about Eskies in B.C. - I guess there was a show on CBC about them - one of the rescues is involved. Eskies are very common in Western Ontario - we live in Toronto and when we adopted our guy in July 2004 there were few breeders. His best friend in the world is a full size Husky - he would do anything for this dog - protect him with his life - with us, his job is to alert us to any danger to us. But he made me proud with the husky.

LittleMonster
March 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
cool. I've met quite a few eskies as well, they always play well with my pom, he is about 12lbs.

I didn't know keeshonden were that popular in north america. This breed was actually on my short list but I couldn't find any at the time. I guess I will look more into them.

I also looked shiba inu but I was told they cannot be walked off leash, ever. I've seen a couple in the park though and they look great.

So my list so far is:
Keeshond
eskie
Elkhound
Schipperke

More suggestions/info is welcomed of course.

Thanks.

clm
March 10th, 2009, 07:24 PM
cool. I've met quite a few eskies as well, they always play well with my pom, he is about 12lbs.

I didn't know keeshonden were that popular in north america. This breed was actually on my short list but I couldn't find any at the time. I guess I will look more into them.

I also looked shiba inu but I was told they cannot be walked off leash, ever. I've seen a couple in the park though and they look great.

So my list so far is:
Keeshond
eskie
Elkhound
Schipperke

More suggestions/info is welcomed of course.

Thanks.

I'm not sure I'd walk a Kees off leash either. :laughing: At least none of the ones we've ever had. Kees are not that popular and good breeders are hard to find, it can be done though. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you contact someone at the Keeshond Club of Canada, they can direct you to a breeder or the Canadian Kennel Club can also give you a list. I can PM you my breeders name and web site info if you want to check her out.

Cindy

LittleMonster
March 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM
sure cindy, i'd appreciate that.

SnowDancer
March 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't walk an Eskie off leash either. When my dog goes to the boarder's she takes the group to an off leash park that is fenced - and of course he listens to her - someone dogs know to behave when away from home. Eskie's - like so many breeds - are hard-wired to go after certain prey and nothing will stop them. Re the Shiba, the man who did some gardening for us last summer has a Shiba and oh my heavens, he never put the dog on a leash and he growled at everyone - we went to Home Depot and the Shiba was running loose all over the store - I was having a fit. The Shiba did not care for my Eskie and went for him. He is extremely devoted to his Dad - but is not happy with the 2 new Dachshunds that the gardener's wife has taken in. Of course, since dogs like me, I am accepted. You should have seen us going to HD in his truck with the Shiba on my knee - with my Eskie watching from the window. When he brought the Dachshunds over to see me he had all 3 in the cab of the truck - loose - I was very worried. Not a chance. He did run into people with 2 Shibas and there was almost a bloodbath. Nice dogs - very loyal - but you know, I would be worried. No offense to owners of Shibas - actually before I met my first Shiba I tried to get my Eskie into the Shiba Toronto Group so he would have a play group, but they couldn't take him - for the reasons noted. Definitely you could find an Eskie in B.C. They are funny guys and they NEVER mature - puppies to the end. Just make sure eyes are not blue - and if you get one make sure he/she is at least a small standard, health wise. The boys are often prettier than the girls - no one takes my guy for a boy - actually a man wanted to know if my guy was spayed because he has a boy and thought they would make beautiful puppies - I finally had to stand my guy up and show him that he has equipment. I guess sort of like Cardinals - the males are prettier. The Eskies are either fox-like looking or teddy bear. My guy is a Teddy. I do like the Keeshond, but the coat is much harder to care for according to my Groomer who does a couple - but then I am useless at grooming.