Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Harry's down..

Harrys Mum
March 9th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Hi all,

I am new to this site, but it looks fantastic!

I am a little worried about my pup Harry, he is a maltese x terrier, we rescued him from the pound. We went away this weekend and left him with a friend and her pup, when we collected him last night he seemed exhausted, but also had a sore paw... he is limping and as soon as he got home, he went straight to his basket an went to sleep - this is very unusual - Usually Harry tears around the house causing havic where ever he goes! He slept through the night.. again odd for Harry.. and seemed down this morning... I don't know if he is just missing his doggy friend, exhausted from a long weekend of playing or if his foot is really bad... he won't let me touch his paw for long and I can't get a good enough look at it to see the problem.

Should I leave him for a couple of days to see if he picks up or take him straight to the vet.... any help would be greatly appreciated.

LittleMonster
March 9th, 2009, 11:43 PM
distract him with a treat and look at the paw. It might have a small cut, it happens, or maybe it got burned/irritated, like rope burn you can get on your hands (I wonder if this can actually happen). Maybe a good belly rub will allow you to sneak a peak. :shrug:

I don't know about his lack of energy but I have personally seen dogs (especially the ones who are an only dog in the house) get very tired for a couple of days after a sleepover. He probably played with his bud through the night. If he is eating and drinking good, and is poop and pee look normal I wouldn't worry too much over it. Im not a vet but it doesn't sound life threatening.

Harrys Mum
March 10th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Thanks, I'll give him another day or two and see if he picks up! Poor little man!:fingerscr

bambee
March 11th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Yeah give him a few more days but do continue observing him. Hope he'll be back to himself soon!

angeldogs
March 11th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Sounds like he is exhausted from his sleep over with his buddy.we get a lot of pups that come for a day of daycare and the owners report after the few first times their pups go straight home and sleep.

Try to give his paw a good checking over and check between the pads. keep an eye on him.if you have any real concerns take him to the vet.

hazelrunpack
March 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
How's he doing Harrys Mum? Back to normal now? :fingerscr