Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

migraine help

Diamondsmum
March 9th, 2009, 02:06 PM
hey guys need some help

major migraine today on scale of 1-10 its an 11

& the censored &^%$%^%$%^TGFTR$% people downstairs have music blasting so loud my house is shaking & then they went out. (They know I have a migraine as well) as I seen them in passing taking garbage out & She noticed & said I hope you feel better. (they did this on purpose)

I cant get away from it no matter which room I am in. and ear plugs dont work due to the bass its shaking the house + I am sick to stomach,

Landlord wont do nothing as they are moving out end on month.

Anyone have ideas on how to manage this :wall::frustrated::mad:

Chris21711
March 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Sorry I can't help you out DM, I have never had a migraine, just hope that it goes away quickly.

Stacer
March 9th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Sometimes when I have a migraine I focus on repetitive things (such as a clock ticking) maybe if you focus on the beat of the music instead of the volume, it might help. Or smash a window and turn the music off yourself !:D

Diamondsmum
March 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Well I didnt smash a window but I did use the window to gain entry (called & informed landlord) After it knocked a picture off my wall of of MIL's memorial & smashed all over the fireplace.

Needless to say Migraine is still there & I am now going to try & sleep

Bailey_
March 9th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Hope you feel better! Despite the fact that these people are moving at the end of the month, they're still your landlords responsibility. Is there someone higher than your landlord you can speak to in the meantime; maybe write a letter?

As far as migraines are concerned, I feel your pain!! I usually take Zomeg, though it's a perscribed medicine by your doctor and can bring other side effects like nausea, etc. I am thankfully not affected by Zomeg and it really works for my killer migraines. Other than that, a dark room and a nap!!

Feel better!

Cathy1
March 9th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I also suffer from migraines and when I talked to the pharmacist he said I could take 1 advil and 1 tylenol together. It does help some of the time at least enough to make me comfortable. You can try calling a pharmacist and see what they say.

dragon_queen
March 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I take Imitrex, it works the pills make you drowsy so they help you sleep. the injection is great too, you feel the effects in 5 minutes ( great when you're at work and can't leave)

angeldogs
March 9th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I just take some advil and take the thumb of my right hand and put it between the thumb and index finger on my left hand and with some pressure make little circles.it can sometimes take awhile but it works.my Dr.advised me to do that.

Winston
March 9th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Hey DM I feel your pain! I also suffer! I wouldnt take anything for a long time other than advil or a tylenol but it soon became apparent that sometimes the migraine is far too bad and nothing works except waiting it out. I know some people that it has been so severe they have gone to the emergency and they were given a shot of something. Anyway I finally told the doc to give me something stronger and I was given a new drug called Replax. Works very well but it is just as costly as imitrex. I have only taken twice when it was beyond excruciating and I went to bed right away and eventually fell asleep to wake up later feeling much relief!

Have you been able to figure out what triggers them or when they are coming? some people become aware of when it is coming on like a flash of light or a friend of mine would see lines visually (like the road paint) and immediately it would come on.

Good luck :grouphug:
Cindy

angeldogs
March 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
My wife used to get severe migraines when we first met.she went with me to one of my chiropractor appointments and they were talking.she had some much pressure in her neck that her muscle and tendons were tight and she didn't even have a migraine at the time.he said with all the pressure she had was causing it.she went to him for awhile and he would take one of those viberating massage machines to her neck and adjust her.it wasn't long after that the migraines stopped.

Diamondsmum
March 9th, 2009, 07:56 PM
tx guys

I went and got a shot Toradol? I think I just know I got a shot and felt better

I have meds for it it wasnt cutting it My right side of face was swollen & I think it was a weather trigger. family doc sent me to walk in & called ahead so I didnt go to emerg.

Woke up with it i get em once in a while mainly weather or MSG triggers em

totallyhip
March 9th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Glad the shot is helping. This is good to know. I too suffer horribly from migraines. I take a whole load of Ex. strength tylenol an lock myself in a dark room and cover my eyes. Sleep and drink tons of water! I am told that a cold compress helps on the forehead or back of neck. I also told that tomato juice helps as well as grapes. Have not tried them yet.

I'm gonna look into some other meds. I can't take aspirin or anything like Advil :wall:

Hope you feel back to normal soon.

Luvmypitgirls
March 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Diamondsmum, I don't know if you are a frequent sufferer of migraine headaches or not but if you are I suggest accupuncture.
My husband had chronic migraines for years and years, sometimes up to 25 per month. He fell off an overpass when he was a kid and fractured his skull, very lucky to have survived.
Anyway, after years of emergency room visits and being pumped up with narcotics to deal with the pain, he was finally referred to the chronic pain clinic. The doctor there suggested accupuncture, and he decided to try it. It worked, for us it was the miracle we had been hoping for.
In the last year, he has had a total of three migraines, and they were managed with extra strength Advil.
Perhaps it's something you may want to consider, my husband says the first visit it hurt just a little bit, but after that he barely felt anything.

Diamondsmum
March 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM
tx again guys,

ID say about 10-15 a month? or so depends spring & fall is worse with weather change.

No warning ususally wake up with it:sad:

Family doc is great the meds I have usually work but not for today.

I will look into it

Bailey_
March 9th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Ugh, 10-15! That's awful. I'm the same, I get them whenever the weather changes or we get chinooks. I still remember my very first migraine, grade 7 science class - looking at the blackboard and realizing there was a very tiny bright spot that was not going away! My doctor at the time said my migraines were brought on by low blood sugar, but overtime I've been able to pin them on the weather/temperature changes.

Feel better soon!

Smiley14
March 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Oh my goodness, I too suffer from chronic migraines, usually triggered by weather. I can't even IMAGINE having to endure noisy neighbors like that. How absolutely frustrating! :wall:

I have a prescription for Relpax that is literally a life-saver for me. No combintion of OTC works for me. My type of migraine has to do with nerve endings and aren't touched by ibuprofen. Which is why I can even take ibuprofen or other OTC meds with Relpax and they don't interact. I would miss several days of work every month otherwise without this medication. I used to use Imitrix, but it would always come back before the end of the day. Found out Imitrix worsk for about 12 hours and Relpax is considered the next generation and lasts for 24 hours. I also have almost no side effects where Imitrix made me quite sick for about 4 hours after taking it. The prescription is expensive. I only get 9 pills/month and it's $100 WITH my insurance. I almost always use all 9 pills each month as well. I also end up in the ER once or twice a year when even the Relpax doesn't work and I have to get several shots, some combination of painkillers and muscle relaxers. Migraines are awful. I wouldn't wish them on anyone. I hope you're feeling better now! If you're getting that many per month and they're triggered by the weather and preventing you from going about your daily life like mine were, please ask your doctor about prescription medication. It really does make such a big difference in your quality of life!

luckypenny
March 10th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Umm, this is odd...how many of us are migraine sufferers :confused:.

Zomig nasal spray is what been most successful for me although I usually need two doses. Imitrex made me seriously :sick: :yuck:. I get to visit the ER about 1-2 times a year (last time was triggered by codeine which resulted in a migraine and seizure :o). I get an IV drip at the hospital that includes anti-inflammatories and...believe it or not...a mild children's anti-nausea medication. The combination of the two starts to work within minutes. I keep forgetting to ask exactly what the meds are because I'm first in excrutiating pain, and then wiped right out after it goes away :o.

I do know some of the triggers for me are alcohol, too much sleep, not enough sleep, and going long periods without food. The migraines that wake me up are the absolute worst too. I love the Zomig though...if I catch it fast enough, it works rather quickly and I don't feel any side effects.

:grouphug: Diamondsmum. It looks like alot of us can empathize with you.

TacoGrl
March 10th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I get really bad headaches...not sure if they are migraines...just thought they were stress induced, but I can't really function when I am having one, so maybe migraines. :shrug:

I usually take Robax Platinum of all things...I had a back injury a few years ago and found out quite by accident they work on my headaches too...they knock me out, but I wake up a couple of hours later feeling 100%!

As for the neighbours...been there...only thing you can do is call the Police and that usually just escalates things...too bad landlord won't do anything...perhaps it is time you look for another place as well...a landlord like that doesn't deserve a good tenant like you. :frustrated:

Gail P
March 10th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I too get a lot of headaches, to varying degrees including full-blown migraines. I haven't really found a trigger, I always say that if there is any reason to get a headache (weather, amount of sleep, hormones, stress, tension etc, etc.) I will have one. It's not unusual for me to feel fine for part of the day but then develop a headache, other times I wake up with them. My question to everyone is how do you get your medication to stay down and actually help you? If I have a bad migraine, nothing will stay in my stomach. And I really mean nothing. Not even the tiniest sip of water. And depending how how quickly the medication comes back up I'm not always sure if it's safe to try taking more. :shrug: I have lots of days with milder headaches the I just live with and don't take anything (don't want to become immune to it), and for moderate-bad headaches I've tried extra-strength acetaminophen, advil migraine, ibuprophen, etc. Someone gave me a couple of their Imitrex to try but I didn't find that any better. I've also been for massage therapy to see if that would help. Migraines run in my family, my mom gets them, my sister and my brother. When I have them I generally try to keep everything quiet and dark and curl up in bed with the dogs cuddled around me and try to sleep it off. If I stay still my stomach will settle better, but as soon as I have to get up to take anything or go to the bathroom I'm sick. :sick: Actually the headaches are part of the reason I'm giving up my home-based business of teaching riding lessons. The heat and humidity always make me feel worse and wipe me right out, very low energy and tired all the time in hot weather, with more headaches than in the winter. No wonder I like winter so much, the cold air is very refreshing.

Diamondsmum
March 10th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Gail gravol works for me first thing after I get up I cant eat or drink anything until I have it I sit up & have them beside my bed.

I also have used the childrens quick dissolve tablets they dont come back up as quick. even If Its just 1.

With lastnights shot I also had a shot of gravol as well just in case. (meds with me always come back up)

It also helps me sleep.

Migraines are the worse :sick:

Today I can feel the spot where it started behind right ear back of head if I touch it its tender like I banged my head.

I had 1 which was so bad I have passed out & the kids found me on floor in middle of kitchen. bc I was somewhat alone I kept checkin in on MSN with my gf/family. I had laptop on lap in dark room with sunglasses on & the brightness turned down.

ancientgirl
March 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Sorry you were feeling so bad, and doubly sorry for your jerky neighbors.

I also suffer from migraines, although not to the extent you do. 10-15 a month is a lot! I usually take Exceedrin when I feel one coming on. Then I try to take a nap and hope to just sleep through the worst of it. Mine sometimes come with the arrival of my arch nemesis. I've had moments when I've felt one coming on at night. At that point, I just take some pills and go to bed, early.

kiara
March 10th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Why don't you call the police? they are braking the law. Give them a moving present. As for migraines, I heard that they can be brought on by dehydration, you need to drink more liquids. Also certain foods like cheese, etc. can bring them on. Otherwise you should go to a neurologist for help if your migraines are very painful and frequent.

Diamondsmum
March 10th, 2009, 04:13 PM
kiara..

its NOT breaking the law it wasnt past 11pm at night & trust me been to a neurlogist in Dec for them nothing can been done accept manage them.

I have another appoint in May for it as a follow up.

angeldogs
March 10th, 2009, 06:21 PM
That must suck getting that much.

In Ontario it doesn't have to be after 11:00.as long as it's cause a distrurbance it can be weither they are moving or not.a friend is going through it know with the tenants above,as long as it's exesive noise she is to call the by law officers and they have been there before 12:00pm.

Bailey_
March 10th, 2009, 06:32 PM
hahaha, I still remember when our doctor gave me the list of all the possible known 'triggers' for migraines. THREE PAGES LONG. It's unreal how many things can cause different people to have them, and it totally sucks. I feel your pain DiamondsMum and I hope the next one isn't as bad!!!!

nickileigh143
March 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM
You should try excedrin migraine! I have migraines and nothing ever really worked. Sometimes a medicine called BC powder helped if taken with coca cola, but excedrin migraine has been a miracle drug lately! Hope it gets better!

CClover
March 10th, 2009, 07:04 PM
DD I 'm so sorry you feel so bad.

Migraine? Just seeing the word can trigger one! I usualy have sings it's comming about half an hour before.
Blind spot,can't even speak or write,very precise spot on top of my head.
Stress,certain foods and red wine are my enemies, so is Imitrex,I stop taking it went someone found me on laying down my side not breathing.

Tylenol Ultra Headache is my friend.A tid bit of Tiger Balm on the forehead can also help.When I go to Vermont I always come back with the Headon for migraine.

Luvmypitgirls
March 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Diamond, was thinking about you today, I hope your migraine has eased up.
My son woke up with one this morning, he gets cluster migraines. The weather here has fluctuated a lot lately which seems to be a trigger for his, or when his shunt isn't working up to par.

Hope you're feeling a bit better.:)

Dee-O-Gee
March 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM
K....this is going to sound REALLY corny :sorry:

When I get migraines, I take a potato--cut it in half--and place the cut part of each side on my temples and hold them in place with a scarf/bandana.

TRUST ME!!!! It really works :thumbs up

After about a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, the migraine goes away and the cuty side of the potato has turned to black.

Sorry but this really does work. :D:laughing:

TacoGrl
March 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Not sure about Ontario, but here, excessive noise can be shut down any time of the day...it's just getting an officer to respond :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, they would retaliate and things would just spiral from there...some people need to grow up. :frustrated:

Diamondsmum
March 11th, 2009, 10:11 PM
LOL @ kim on the potatoe :P havta remember that

LMPG- Yup Its eased luckily

excessive noise in our bylaw is noise heard say on street (which it wasnt) you couldnt hear it from even on my deck.

I think they stragitically placed speakers pointing up :frustrated: but I am counting the days down to them moving out.:thumbs up

CClover
March 11th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I'm wiling to try the potato trick but I need a pic ''How to do potato bandana'' first!:laughing: