Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

More Fabric Collars!

Smiley14
March 8th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Hope I'm not boring everyone too much by all these collar posts! I won't post them anymore or at least not every single one, LOL! But I just had to post these as I finally found the perfect balance and weight for the fabric collars. I sewed lightweight nylon webbing into these and they're PERFECT! I'm thrilled with how it turned out so well to use the nylon inside the fabric! The only problem now is that my poor little machine can barely handle it. Yikes! But as long as I don't go in reverse and change the needle often as the nylon dulls it really fast, it works! I really should be using a better machine on this kind of collar, but I managed to make it work. So I finished this set tonight. :) I ordered a lot more fabric online with really nice prints and some cool Japanese Import fabric that I think will make really cute collars too. Cool! This fabric isn't too exciting, but it's one of the first ones I bought at JoAnn's, so thought it would make a good one to experiment with. I'm so happy with this combination of fabric and nylon!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/smileysteph14/Fabriccollarswithnylon002.jpg

The pups weren't really in the mood to pose, LOL! I think they're getting tired of posing for me this weekend. :laughing:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/smileysteph14/Fabriccollarswithnylon008.jpg

angeldogs
March 8th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Those a great.with the butterflies on there they will be good summertime collars.you really are doing a fantastic job on the collars.:thumbs up

Love4himies
March 9th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I love them :lovestruck:. A doggie could have a different one for each day of the week. Or a matching collar/sweater/booties :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
March 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Oh, that collar would look lovely on Czari with her coloring!

It's funny, when you first started posting pictures of PB&J posing, they'd be looking at the camera all happy. Now they're turned away just laying there.:laughing:

Chris21711
March 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Great collars Smiley, post all you want, peeps aren't obligated to look if they don't want to. Next up....leashes to match :thumbs up Then, then...designer purses for the hoomans, and and and :laughing:

If this venture of yours really gets off the ground Smiley, yep you will need a heavy duty machine.

hazelrunpack
March 9th, 2009, 01:08 PM
They look great! Very summery! :D I'm with Chris...keep on postin' 'em! If by some stretch of the imagination we get tired of looking at them, we can spend our time looking at PB&J! :thumbs up :p

BenMax
March 9th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Ok - how do we order???????? Seriously.

kwilli
March 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM
The collars are lovely!! I just bought a new one for our new pup... It was $17 and yours are nicer! Love the colurs and patterns youu've chose. I second that... Where can we order?:)

Chaser
March 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Oooh I love the butterflies! I am seriously in love with your collars....so many would look so pretty with Kailey's colouring! :lovestruck:

onster
March 9th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Very beautiful collars once again. The fabric is very pretty.

happycats
March 9th, 2009, 08:05 PM
They are beautiful!! I love them! I would love to order some for Buddy, and they would make great Christmas gifts for all my pet owner friends and family.

Smiley14
March 9th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Oh, thank you all SO much for your kind and encouraging words!!! I'm going to try using a cotton webbing instead of nylon and try a heavy duty needle to see if that helps. I'm concerned about ruining my poor machine otherwise! If I can't find a way to sew them on my poor little machine, then I definitely won't try to sell any right now. But I'm sure I can at least make some for people here still if they'd like! I'm just waiting for my fabrics to come in the mail and for the time to run back to JoAnn's to pick up cotton webbing and different needles.

For some reason, JoAnn's is always super crowded. Every time I've gone there, the cutting line takes at least an hour to get through and the check-out line another good hour or more. It takes at least a few hours just to get through the store...ridiculous! So I'll try to stop over there this weekend and do a little bit more experimenting. :) I want to eventually get a better machine, but as this one is brand new and was a Christmas gift, I don't want to be replacing it already. It does work on the ribbon collars no problem and the fabric collars without the webbing inside at least. But my favorite is of course the ones my machine can barely handle! Isn't that the way things usually go. :rolleyes: :laughing:

ancientgirl
March 10th, 2009, 07:40 AM
You know, I think it's just a Jo-Ann fabric thing. Every time I've ever gone into one it's always been crowded. There is one very close to me and every time I go in there the wait for cutting is ridiculous! I always like to look at the remnants table, because if I can find something I like in there, I don't have to wait to have anything cut.

I don't know about the others, but Since my gang are indoors I don't think I'd need anything heavy duty. I imagine those would be more for like the bigger dogs that are outside a lot and stuff.:shrug:

You should be fine for now, but you can always price some of the more heavy duty machines. Maybe look on ebay and see what they have there. If you find that you are able to sell these at that store then a heavy duty machine would be a good investment. Heck, you can even eventually try making little outfits too with matching collars! The possibilities are endless!

Luvmypitgirls
March 12th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Smiley, wicked collars!
Awhile back I said if you ever started a business I would be interested in making an order, so please be sure to let us know when we can begin the ordering process!
I love the butterfly material, if you can find some dragonfly material I'd order two of each!

Smiley14
March 12th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Thanks everyone!!! :)

I picked up a heavy duty needle at JoAnn's and it made a huge difference! I can sew through the fabric and nylon much easier and can even go in reverse now. :rolleyes: So my little machine is hanging in there! :) I tried using cotton webbing as well and it works nearly as well as the nylon webbing and did seem to be a little easier on the machine. I still prefer the nylon webbing inside the fabric the best though. So I made these three collars the last two days. With the heavy duty needles, I can also finally give the collars the proper reinforced stitching they should have so now I'm more confident they will hold as well. COOL!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/smileysteph14/Bluecollars005.jpg

I'm not really planning to set up any kind of website at the moment, but I will post all my fabrics and ribbon and if anyone wants one, they can just let me know! (Is that allowed per the rules of the forum?) I have to order the webbing and buckles online and may have to special order depending upon the sizes people want or if people want cat collars. I don't want to just randomly order a bunch of stuff and not use it. I would just ask for the cost of the materials and shipping, so probably about $10 for fabric ones and $7 for ribbon? I have to add up the costs and not sure how much shipping is, but the ribbon ones are approx $3-4 to make and the fabric ones about $7 to make plus whatever shipping costs from the US to Canada.

angeldogs
March 12th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I like those last 3 collars.fancy and will stand out well for people that have longer fur dogs.That heavy duty needle makes a difference.

breeze
March 12th, 2009, 07:39 AM
love the colors Smiley !!

:thumbs up

http://www.smileycons.com/img/bigsmileys2/24.gif