Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Very Very Sad News...

lUvMyLaB<3
March 8th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Ok... I cannot believe I am typing this.. as many of you know I am fostering a mother and her kittens.. And some of you know the difficult time we have had... Anyway I have been worried about this mother, she is about 9 months old, and not too sure. So we have allowed her to stay on the couch in the living room where we can observe her constantly. My hubby and I take turns watching them throughout the night. Last night he slept for a bit then checked on them. And much to our sadness he found the little white and orange female under the mother, no longer alive. It is a possibility that the mother suffocated her, or could be something else, we are not sure what it is at this point. It didn't seem like it had happened long before we found out, he called me and I tried everything to get her breathing again but I could not get her back.

I am absolutely heartbroken. I have never lost one before, now everything is going through my head, where they too warm? was she choking? was it something I did? could I have prevented it? Why didn't I get there sooner? I don't know what to do or where to go from here, this is horrible and I feel absolutely sick.. I wish I had done better I don't know how I could have allowed this to happen...

Here is a pic of her so we can remember what she was like.. only 4 days old..

Chris21711
March 8th, 2009, 01:23 PM
So saddened to hear that LML :sad: please don't second guess yourself :grouphug:

:rip: Little one

cpietra16
March 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I so feel for you. We went thru that when mommy cat lost a perfectly healthy looking baby. The vet told us that sometimes moms do lay on them an suffocate them by mistake.....RIP little one. I know how sad you must feel.

catlover2
March 8th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Very sorry to hear your news. Please don't beat yourself up over this....unfortunately accidents do happen. This kind of death in a young kitten is always devastating, especially when kitty wasn't sick or anything. Unfortunately, accidents do happen especially with inexperienced first-time queens.

One thing I can think of that may have contributed to kitty's death is that if they were on a soft blanket on the sofa that it became bunched or folded, and the momcat could not distinguish a lump in the blanket from the kitten and suffocated it. I used to keep all my queens and their kittens in a cardboard box on a pad of newspapers. In over 15 yrs. of breeding, never had a kitten suffocated. Mind you it doesn't look as comfy, but it's the best thing for the kittens, until they are of good size.

Thank you for fostering this momcat, you're an angel.

BusterBoo
March 8th, 2009, 04:01 PM
:rip: sweet kitty....

14+kitties
March 8th, 2009, 04:11 PM
:candle::rip: little sweetie. :candle:
I am not going to even try to second guess what happened. None of us can. Another possibility is Fading Kitten Syndrome. Sometimes a kitten who is perfectly healthy one minute is gone within a few hours. Nothing we can do. Just know you didn't do a thing wrong. It just happens. :grouphug: to you.

RolandsMom
March 8th, 2009, 04:15 PM
:rip: sweet baby. :grouphug::grouphug:

Dee-O-Gee
March 8th, 2009, 04:44 PM
So sorry LML. Here lies the "coulda, shoulda, woulda" scenario however; you (and your hubby) are truly wonderful people to give care to mommy and ALL her kittens.

As Chris said...don't second guess yourself and have to agree with catlover2--you're an absolute :angel: for fostering this mommycat and all her babies

:highfive: to you and your hubby and a big :grouphug:

:rip: sweet little creamsicle kitty.

Love4himies
March 8th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I am so sorry to hear that :cry: :grouphug:

:rip: sweet kitten :candle:

lUvMyLaB<3
March 8th, 2009, 06:07 PM
no they are not on anything too squishy, but we have noticed that she does not move sometimes when she is on them, if their head is out they cry out and she still does not move, she is too young, she is doing well but not the best mother ever, that is why we are being extremly watchful, not watchful enough obviously.. I don't know what she has been through, I think enough though she seems like she has quite a story, you can tell by watching her.

We have taken on this, to care for them the best possible, and I feel like I failed, this was not supposed to happen, they are not mine I am just caring for them, that makes it worse, I loved those little ones so much, this has never ever happened. I have had some that are born not breathing and I can get them back, I tried for a long time to resucitate her, I don't think she had been gone long she was still warm and floppy but as much as I tried I had to stop... this is so terrible.. WHY do people let their YOUNG cats breed??? Then leave the mess for other people, they don't care the heartbreak they cause my family? or the kitties??? GRRR!

Chris21711
March 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Don't keep beating yourself up LML, they can't all be saved no matter how much one tries. Even babies with all the high tech hospitals available, they can't all be saved. You are doing your very best :grouphug:

Love4himies
March 8th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Awwww lml :grouphug:. You did everything you could, this is NOT your fault at all. This is the fault of the person who didn't spay their cat. 7 months old, momma is just a kitten herself. :sad:

rainbow
March 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I agree ....definitely not your fault at all. :grouphug:

:rip: sweet baby kitty :candle:

growler~GateKeeper
March 8th, 2009, 07:45 PM
:cry2: LML you did all you could :grouphug:

:rip: sweet :angel2: baby kit :candle:

ancientgirl
March 9th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I'm so sorry about this. That poor little baby. Don't beat yourself up. You are doing the best you can, and that poor mother shouldn't even have had to go through this. She's doing the best she can too.

RIP little kitty.:rip:

lUvMyLaB<3
March 9th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words, it is really helping me. I just want to help them, my heart is broken for her she does not understand why she is not with her family anymore and it is not fair and to watch her look for the baby for an hour was gut wrenching..

ancientgirl
March 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words, it is really helping me. I just want to help them, my heart is broken for her she does not understand why she is not with her family anymore and it is not fair and to watch her look for the baby for an hour was gut wrenching..

Oh no, she was looking for her baby? That poor little sweet girl. :sad:

ownedbycats
March 10th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I know how you feel. I lost a baby last summer, despite everything. Fine the evening before, then gone. I'd been weighing all of them, so I know they were all growing well. Sometimes you just lose them and you don't know why. You at least tried to help. Others wouldn't even do that much.