Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello

LoveMyLab22
March 7th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Hi there, I'm new to this site. My name is Aaron I'm a 22 year old Semi Professional from Wisconsin. I joined because I have some questions on a Black Lab that my partner and I recently adopted. I'm hoping to learn a lot from this site. Don't be afraid to stop in say hi. I have an 11mo old Black Lab named Chevy who's going to need a lot of work and I appreciate any advice I can find. First off I'm Curious to know how long after changing the diet will his stool remain runny... it's messy to have to pick up (we live in an apartment and have to pick up after our dogs) and he had an accident which didn't make for an easy job of clean up. Also whats the best way I can break him of his former time habits. His previous owner must have taken him out in the wee hours of the mornings to which I'm not up until at least 7-730am he wakes us at 430-5am.

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Welcome to the board, Aaron.

It shouldn't take too long to switch from one food to another. Did you do it cold turkey or gradually? If it's just diarrhea from a new food, a little pure pumpkin (not spiced or sugary for pie filling) in his meals might help to firm him up.

Maybe Chevy's just reacting to the ingredients in the food, though...what did you switch him to and what was he eating before?

As for getting up early, that might just be a product of his age. :D Our dogs all seem to like the pre-dawn outings till they get to be a year or so of age. And they don't really seem to enjoy sleeping in till they're at least 3.

So...do you have any pics of Chevy to share with us? We're crazy about pics, y'know. :D