Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Frenchy and Chloe......

14+kitties
March 7th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK at the new vet today! Everyone here has lots of :fingerscr and paws for you!!!!!!!!!!:grouphug:

Love4himies
March 7th, 2009, 06:40 AM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::fingerscr:fingerscr:pray::p ray: for you and Chloe, Frenchy.

angeldogs
March 7th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Good luck at the new vet today Frenchy and Chloe.:goodvibes::fingerscr

Frenchy
March 7th, 2009, 08:05 AM
awww thanks so much guys ! :grouphug:

We're leaving in an hour , new vet got all the previous test's results (by fax) pee sample has been taking this morning (oh boy that was quite the adventure , me in my pj's following Chloe outside with a pan in my hand , trying to not slip on the ice :laughing:)

she had to go out 3 times last night , I can tell she really doesn't want to have an accident in the house anymore , lately , she wines until I get up and let her out.

thanks for the good vibes , will update when I get back :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2009, 09:07 AM
:goodvibes: :fingerscr

Melanie1010
March 7th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Good Luck Frenchy and Chloe!! I hope the vet visit goes well and we have our fingers and paws crossed for you both!!

14+kitties
March 7th, 2009, 09:09 AM
awww thanks so much guys ! :grouphug:

We're leaving in an hour , new vet got all the previous test's results (by fax) pee sample has been taking this morning (oh boy that was quite the adventure , me in my pj's following Chloe outside with a pan in my hand , trying to not slip on the ice :laughing:)

she had to go out 3 times last night , I can tell she really doesn't want to have an accident in the house anymore , lately , she wines until I get up and let her out.

thanks for the good vibes , will update when I get back :goodvibes:

Maybe meds are starting to work? Everything I have read says it takes a while for them to be effective. Good luck mf.

Frenchy
March 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Maybe meds are starting to work?

no at all , because she still pees 3 times at night , the only difference is she wakes me up for each of them. I was suppose to see a difference after 10 days , and it's been 2 1/2 months now.

We just got back and I wasn't too impressed , like not at all. Even if they had her file since last Tuesday , nobody read it before I got there. :frustrated: Now they basicly want to do all the tests all over again. Things she already has been tested 2-3 times for. Enough with the tests , I want freaking answers. But they don't have any for me. :wall: The vet prefered to test blood instead of urine I brought. So we did , I will have the blood test result Monday. This is just to see if her kidneys are ok . They were the first 3 freaking tests !!!!! Then she wants to do another ACTH test , and a "echography" ....

I have a prescription for 3 months worth of Lysodren , btw , what is it with them charging $15.00 to write a freaking prescription ? They didn't even had the meds at the clinic and anyway , I'm going to get it at the pharmacy since it's much cheaper there (still , $35.00 for 6 pills) . So I wasn't impressed with that either. Also , since I would have to leave Chloe for a day to do the ACTH test , they would charge me kennel for a day ! WTF ?

Anyway , like I said before , this was the last time today , I'm done with tests , I'm done with vets , I'm spending money on pills that aren't making any difference. Will keep trying the Lysodren , but not holding my breath.

I am extremely disappointed about vets around here.

ancientgirl
March 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Frenchy, I'm sorry about your latest vet experience. And I'm sorry Chloe had to endure more pokes.

Have you tried the holistic approach, like Tommysmom? Maybe you can try looking around your area for a holistic vet that may give you more answers.

BusterBoo
March 7th, 2009, 12:15 PM
:sorry: Frenchy, I was soooo hoping for some good news for Chloe and you. I don't blame you for saying enough is enough, it's a tough time for Chloe... :grouphug:

:pray: for a miracle....

rainbow
March 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Aww, Frenchy, I am so very sorry that the new vet doesn't seem to be any better than the old one. :grouphug:

Have you ever checked out this website? ....

http://www.caninecushings.net/?

I had a quick look around and there seems to be alot of helpful information. :)

Frenchy
March 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
And I'm sorry Chloe had to endure more pokes.

it's a tough time for Chloe... :grouphug:

That's another thing .... from the minute we got there (had to wait 15-20 minutes for them to see us) until the end of the consultation , Chloe was shaking like a leaf :sad: when she came back from the blood test , both her legs were bandaged. They didn't get enough blood from the first so they did a second one on the second leg .... poor Chloe :sad:

BusterBoo
March 7th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Ohhhhhhh! Poor Chloe, I hope she is resting well for the rest of the afternoon. We are getting beautiful sunshine and warm temps today and I hope you are getting the same and that Chloe is snoozing in the sunshine.

It doesn't sound like they were too well prepared for Chloe.... :mad:

:grouphug:

Frenchy
March 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM
http://www.caninecushings.net/?

thanks Rainbow , I have read lots about cushing but never saw this forum :thumbs up will probably register and ask questions ....

Ohhhhhhh! Poor Chloe, I hope she is resting well for the rest of the afternoon.

She's been sleeping since we got home :angel:

angeldogs
March 7th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Poor girl why can't they learn to take blood or enough the first time.

I don't blame you for having enough with vets if all they are going to do is the same tests over and over again.

rainbow
March 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM
thanks Rainbow , I have read lots about cushing but never saw this forum :thumbs up will probably register and ask questions ....

Since it is a forum just for Cushings Disease there is a good chance others have gone through what you and Chloe are. :grouphug: Hopefully someone there will be able to help you. :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

14+kitties
March 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Awww Frenchy, I am so sorry you didn't get better answers and more help. :twohugger: I was hoping for a different outcome.
My offer still stands on the other thing....

Love4himies
March 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Awww poor Chloe :grouphug:. I hope you do get some answers from the bloodwork. :pray:

chico2
March 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Oh no,you sound really frustrated and I don't blame you,poor Chloe more tests :sad:
:pray:Chloe will do ok:grouphug:I wish the animals would understand why they have to be poked and tested..

clm
March 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Well that's just the pits. I'm sorry Frenchy, I was so hoping you'd get some answers.
Is there any way you could put a doggie door in that leads out to a tiny fenced in area in your yard so she could go in and out as she needs to at night? At least you could get some sleep that way.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
A doggie door would be great if the kitties didn't use it, too... Unless it led to a fenced area with the top closed off somehow so the kitties couldn't climb out. :shrug:

I'm sorry this vet couldn't give you any answers either, Frenchy. :grouphug: Maybe you can find some on the BB. :fingerscr

I can't believe they charge that much just for writing out the prescription! :eek:

Out of curiosity, did they say what they wanted to do the echogram for? :confused:

RolandsMom
March 7th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Poor Chloe. I hope yo:grouphug:u find something useful on that forum!!

clm
March 7th, 2009, 05:22 PM
A doggie door would be great if the kitties didn't use it, too... Unless it led to a fenced area with the top closed off somehow so the kitties couldn't climb out. :shrug:

:

You'd have to keep the kitties in a room they couldn't get out of at night and keep the doggy door locked during the times they're out. You can get doggy doors that only open or close if the dog is wearing a special collar too.

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
March 8th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Sorry to hear you were unhappy with the vet visit :grouphug:

The reason they wanted a blood sample is likely to test for adverse reactions from the meds:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1597&aid=416
Lysodren: Until recently, Lysodren (also known as mitotane, and o,p'-DDD) was the only treatment available for pituitary dependent Cushing's disease. It is convenient to use and is relatively inexpensive and is still probably the most widely used treatment. The downside of this drug is that it can have some serious side effects and regular blood-monitoring needs to be performed. During the initial phases of the therapy, the dog must be very carefully monitored, and there must be close communication between the veterinarian and the owner.

The use of Lysodren is somewhat like chemotherapy. It works by destroying cells of the adrenal gland that produce the corticosteroid hormones. As the number of corticosteroid-producing cells is reduced, even though the pituitary gland continues to produce excess ACTH, the adrenal gland is less able to respond, so the amount of glucocorticoid being produced is reduced. The problems arise when too much of the adrenal cortex is killed off. The animals may then need to be placed on prednisone, either short or long term. The Lysodren is initially given daily while the animal is being monitored for a decrease in the symptoms (water consumption, appetite). On the 8th or 9th day of the initial therapy, the dog needs to be examined and an ACTH stimulation test is performed to determine if the drug is working. If the goal is achieved, maintenance therapy is started. If the goal has not been reached, then the dog generally remains on the daily medication for 3 to 7 additional days and is rechecked until the proper results are achieved. If the dog becomes lethargic, vomits, or has diarrhea, or if the treatment does not work by 30 days, then the treatment plan is reevaluated. If treatment is successful, then symptoms should resolve within 4 to 6 months. A certain percentage of dogs will relapse and need to undergo the daily therapy again at some point in their lives. If a dog ever becomes ill while on Lysodren, the Lysodren should be stopped immediately and the dog should be examined by a veterinarian. The dog will need to be on Lysodren for the rest of his life.

They generally will redo the ACTH several times to check how well the meds are working.

The echography is an abdominal ultrasound to check the organs, size of the adrenal glands, and check for tumors:

Abdominal ultrasound is helpful in three respects. First, it is a good test to evaluate all of the abdominal organs in the dog. Secondly, it is used to study the size and shape of the adrenal glands. The adrenal glands in pituitary dependent hyperadrenocorticism are usually normal in size or enlarged. If a tumor is present however, one adrenal gland is often abnormally large or of uneven shape. Finally, if a tumor is suspected, ultrasound can help identify any metastasis to other organs.

:grouphug: :goodvibes: for Chloe & you

onster
March 8th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Im sorry vets have been so frustrating frenchy :sad:

:grouphug::grouphug: to you and chloe.

Winston
March 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Frenchy I am just wondering if there is a veterinary teaching college any where close by. They may be willing to help you out. The one that is close to Hamilton is in Guelph and has a very good reputation. Maybe someone could take the time to read her file and research other options?? just a thought?

Hugs to you my friend! stay strong it will work out!

Frenchy
March 8th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Frenchy I am just wondering if there is a veterinary teaching college any where close by.

It's about 2 hours from here , and they don't do anything for free :frustrated:

Growler , I know it takes a lot of tests but the thing is , they should stop testing for the cushing and look at what else she has. Because she probably has something else on top of the cushing.

Hazel , the echogram would be to see if she has tumors / mass , cancer is always part of the vet's conversations .... might just be it.

chico2
March 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Frenchy,I have not seen you really tell what kind of symptoms she has,but maybe I just missed it:confused:
Is she very sick,in pain or what?Is Cushings something life-threatening?
She is such a sweet girl,hope she'll be ok:lovestruck::fingerscr

14+kitties
March 8th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Chico - this article will explain cushings to you. It's a toughie to fight. :sad:

http://www.2ndchance.info/cushings.htm

Frenchy - I don't know if you have seen that article or not. It does cover meds available. :shrug:

How is Chloe doing today? :grouphug: to you for what you do mf.

Frenchy
March 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Frenchy,I have not seen you really tell what kind of symptoms she has,but maybe I just missed it:confused:
Is she very sick,in pain or what?Is Cushings something life-threatening?
She is such a sweet girl,hope she'll be ok:lovestruck::fingerscr

Cushing is life threatening if not treated , will cause renal failure. The symptoms are : drink and pee a lot , and huge appetite. I've been getting up 1-2 times at night to let her out (she wakes me up) for months now. And still I get up in the morning to find pee in the house. Same when I come home from work , 2-3 puddles to clean up. For the past weeks , it has been getting worse instead of better.

On rare occasions , she would wake me up but I would tell her to go back to sleep , just because I'm too exhausted to get up , so she will go in the house because she can't hold it in. It's been months since I had a full night of sleep and it's really getting to me.

And I know about diapers but Chloe has a bum issue as well , so the diaper won't stay on. :shrug:

Frenchy
March 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM
http://www.2ndchance.info/cushings.htm

Yes I read a lot about it. Vets told me Anypril want's for Chloe , and believe it or not :rolleyes: it's even more expensive than the Lysodren she's getting ($35.00 for 6 pills and that's the cheapest I found , at the pharmacy) vets here are not using the Trilostane :shrug:

chico2
March 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Frenchy,I really don't know what to add,except I hope Chloe somehow will be ok,the price of the meds is robbery:evil:
:grouphug:wish I knew of a handsome sugar-daddy who loves dogs:dog:

Frenchy
March 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
:grouphug:wish I knew of a handsome sugar-daddy who loves dogs:dog:

I would settle for a single vet :D Imagine all the money I would save !

So I had to call back the vet for the results because they were not calling me back :wall: of course , the blood test came back good , just like the other 3. And she said now we most do this test and that test and bla bla bla .... I told her no thanks.

So I got Chloe's meds today , but get this .... last night , she only peed once. (she finished the meds last wednesday and was suppose to get some on Saturday and this morning too but I didn't have any left) then I get back home .... I swear , I'm still looking for the pee puddles , can't find none ! :confused: so I will continue the meds ..... but , if she gets worse on them , I'll stop. She gets better when off them ? :confused: but I can't be sure since it's only been a few days .... what a rollercoaster !

hazelrunpack
March 9th, 2009, 05:46 PM
How peculiar! :fingerscr that the trend continues!! Wouldn't it be great if it turns out the meds aren't necessary anymore?

ancientgirl
March 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Maybe she doesn't need the amount you've been giving her?:shrug:

Frenchy
March 9th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Maybe she doesn't need the amount you've been giving her?:shrug:

no , 2 vets confirmed it was the right amount.

It also may be just a 24 hour thing .... you think they're getting better and then it just comes back. :shrug:

ancientgirl
March 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I hope not. I hope it's a good sign that she's getting better.:pray:

coppperbelle
March 10th, 2009, 03:09 PM
It must be so frustrating. Have you tried calling St-Hyacinthe vet school? I know it is quite a distance away but they do have Saturday appointments, I think.
The other option is to maybe try out the rescue's vet. They are very good and if you explain that you are with the rescue you may get a discount. I know it is over the bridge but it is very easy to get to.

14+kitties
March 10th, 2009, 03:13 PM
That is so weird that she does better off the meds then when on. :confused:
I hope she starts getting some relief soon. And you!!

hazelrunpack
March 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Did the improvement last? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

rainbow
March 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
It must be so frustrating. Have you tried calling St-Hyacinthe vet school? I know it is quite a distance away but they do have Saturday appointments, I think.
The other option is to maybe try out the rescue's vet. They are very good and if you explain that you are with the rescue you may get a discount. I know it is over the bridge but it is very easy to get to.

That sounds like a good idea. :thumbs up

How is Chloe today? :fingerscr

Did you ask any questions on the cushings forum? :goodvibes:

Frenchy
March 10th, 2009, 07:50 PM
That is so weird that she does better off the meds then when on. :confused:

I have to ask Doc Lee about this. Because since these meds take so long to take effect , IMO it would take long to do the opposite so maybe it,s not because she didn't get any for a couple of days .... I don't know.

Did the improvement last? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Kinda ! She didn't ask to go out last night and no pee inside this morning :thumbs up but there was a puddle when I got back home. She did get her pill this morning but I don't know if it's related. Will wait a while , if the accidents start again while she's on the meds , I'll stop them.

Did you ask any questions on the cushings forum? :goodvibes:

No I didn't. They will ask for details and I do have all her results , they are all in french and it's hard enough for me to understand them without putting them in english :o