Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mmmm, chicken

14+kitties
March 6th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I was bagging up chicken breasts a while ago. Look who came for a bite. Tinka seems to really enjoy it. The other 4 sniffed, licked, and walked away. Dayle was the only other one who actually tried biting. She didn't like it either. :rolleyes:

Dracko
March 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Aw how cute. I have 2 out of 5 that will eat raw. The other 3 won't go near it. Smitty purrs the entire time he eats anything raw. Don't know how he can do that and eat at the same time. :laughing:

onster
March 6th, 2009, 07:27 PM
awww its ok at least she licked it. Maybe try the liver/kidney? bunduk gobbled that up!

Good for her for giving a lick though :thumbs up

yay tinka!

ancientgirl
March 6th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Aww, Tinka is really enjoying that.

Oksana is the only one who won't eat raw chicken. When I buy it to make for them, I always give the others little pieces. LOL, it's the only time I've ever heard little Maks growl.:laughing:

Frenchy
March 6th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I'm sure they would all love it after a couple of days ;)

14+kitties
March 6th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Mmmm, wish I could afford to feed it to them more often. My catty cats get hearts and giblets a few times a week. They love them. My house kitties not so much. I have tried chicken backs with all of them. Nope, turned their noses up. I am wondering if I tried grinding them up if they would eat it then. Still doing lots of experiments. Once the dry food I bought for my catty cats is done I am going to try not to use it any more. :fingerscr

So, anyone have a grinder you aren't using? :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
March 6th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Mmmm-mmmm...Tinka really knows the good stuff when she sniffs it! :thumbs up Yummy!

luckypenny
March 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Sweet Tinka is as smart as she is adorable :lovestruck:.

krdahmer
March 6th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Aw good girl Tinka! :thumbs up:lovestruck: Does she growl at all when the others approach her when she's eating real meat? I know when I give Palomine a bit of raw meat (he's the only one who'll touch it here) anyone who walks by gets growled and snarled at! :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
March 6th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Good girl Tinka :thumbs up did she finish all of it? :cat:

Good for Dayle for at least giving it a lick, sometimes given another try down the road she & the others may change their minds :D

TeriM
March 6th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Tinka :lovestruck:. Maybe the others will learn from her example :D.

Love4himies
March 7th, 2009, 06:48 AM
They very well could, Teri. I find that Jasper and Sweet Pea often imitate each other. Plus, Jasper became interested in raw when he watched my foster kittens eating.

Love4himies
March 7th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Once they get a taste for raw, watch out, when there is meat in the kitchen they will drive you nuts until you give them some :laughing:

Good girl, Tinka, keep eating the raw.:lovestruck:

Frenchy
March 7th, 2009, 08:11 AM
14+ , you're really starting to feed them raw ? congrats !!! :thumbs up

At first Paddy didn't like it either. I would give them their regular diet in the morning and raw at night. After about a week , Paddy figured out he wasn't getting anything other than the raw at night and started to eat it. Came to love it , you know cats , it takes time :D

Frenchy
March 7th, 2009, 08:12 AM
oh and for the meat grinder , have you looked at kijiji and les Pac ? I saw a used one for sell once.

14+kitties
March 7th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Not so much going 100% raw. But I would like to eliminate the dry over time if I can. They get good canned food now. To try to eliminate all the dry is going to take time. The house ones won't be as hard as the catty cats. That will take some finnessing to figure out how much, when, if everyone is eating, etc. But it will get done. Like SCM says, even the worse quality canned is better than the best dry. :thumbs up

Tinka actually ate a good quantity of the chicken. Dayle ate a tiny bit. The other 3........ um, no.

Grumpy
March 7th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Awwww Tinka seems to enjoy every bit of it...she sure looks so much like my baby Chimonk 'cept Chimonk doesn't like raw... just sniffs it...

14+kitties
March 8th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Awwww Tinka seems to enjoy every bit of it...she sure looks so much like my baby Chimonk 'cept Chimonk doesn't like raw... just sniffs it...

Thanks Grumpy. Actually I think my TT looks more like your Chimonk. I will find a pic of him when he was very little and post it. He really was tiny.

chico2
March 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Tinka is so cute and brave:lovestruck:
My 3 will eat one tiny peace of eaw meat,but that's it,they won't eat another.
I tried those puck-thingys once,they did not even lick the meat,it went to my Crows..
My 3 are not eating dry food anymore,I think they get enough wet to satisfy them,unfortunately I have a huge bag of dry,but some other critter will eat it..I cannot donate it to HS,since my cats don't touch it,maybe there is something wrong with it??

14+kitties
March 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I don't think the food would be bad. Maybe they have just figured out that canned is better for them. :shrug: HS would probably love it!
It will be a slow transition to get all the kitties onto a better food. I also have to kind of keep in mind costs. Right now it costs somewhere around $100 a week. Would like to be able to keep it around there or lower.

ancientgirl
March 8th, 2009, 04:54 PM
14+, have you talked to some of the pet stores around there or maybe even written to some distributors and asked if you could buy food directly from them? I know when I went to order the case I just got for my gang, I noticed when the girl at the store was ordering it cost them $14 for a case of 12 13.5oz Innova. Maybe since you have so many they would give you a deal.:shrug:

14+kitties
March 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Great thought AG but nope, they won't do it. I have tried with the one store I deal with. The other one I don't go in because they sell kittens and pups. :frustrated:
I spoke to the people who are looking after one of the feral groups in Toronto. They used to get their food from Friskies. After the big recall Friskies stopped doing it.
I will keep checking. I am sure once I get going on the raw I can cut costs.

ancientgirl
March 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM
You would think some of these companies who always claim they are looking out for animals would want to help someone taking care of so many cats.

I hope you can get them all converted soon. It really is hard trying to get them all fed and not go broke. I have two cases of Innova, and ordered two more for next week, and these little stinkers are starting to turn their noses up! :frustrated: And so far, it's the best quality of the most cost effective food I've been able to find them.

14+kitties
March 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Mine weren't real crazy about the Innova either. Loved the first few cans but after that.... not so much. :shrug:

ancientgirl
March 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Well, I've been tricking them by grinding some of their treats and shaking some ground treats on top.

14+kitties
March 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Yep. That works! :thumbs up