Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Legal Action for Dog Sold

thymes
March 5th, 2009, 07:18 PM
This post has been deleted

Blackdog22
March 5th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Unfortunately I can't be much help. I hope the dog ends up finding a good home and doesn't end up being a victim in this scenario.

I don't think you have any legal recourse, but I am no lawyer.

Next time, these people should research breeders BEFORE purchasing the dog, In this day and age it's very easy to get taken, and many people breeding dogs are sadly only doing it for profit.....they could careless what happens after the cash is in hand.

Dracko
March 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I can't even read the whole post. Just another person who bought from a byb cuz they wanted a "perfect" dog rather than giving one to a dog that needed a home or it could be put down.

Melanie1010
March 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I agree Dracko... sadly this person should of known to research better before going to a BYB and buying a dog. She likely has no legal recourse..there's a reason for the saying "Buyer Beware" hopefully the dog gets the care it needs...

TacoGrl
March 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM
It is funny how people will research what car/stereo/vacuum/etc. to buy more than a breeder or breed of dog they want to add to their family.

I have no use for BYB or the people who buy from them. Next thing you know, your SIL will be at a shelter saying "I am allergic to it" and yet another "perfect" dog ends up in the shelter system. :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't think you and your SIL will get much sympathy here.

cell
March 5th, 2009, 10:18 PM
There is no legal recourse that will be available for this case it is a simple case of he said she said, no receipt of sale, no contract.
I find it surprising that if someone knew enough to ask about luxating patella they would not know how to spot it? It is mentioned a wonky leg was noticed, that should have been a RED FLAG, especially when you are dealing with someone trying to get rid of something.
There is no shame in walking away from a situation you don't trust, even when looking at a pet who tugs your heart strings, sometimes when something seems wrong with it there is something wrong and unless you want to take in a charity case and the expenses involved walk away you have made no commitment by viewing.
If the seller says the vet says the animal is fine, it only takes 5 minutes to request the paperwork or get the vet on the phone to confirm. Buyer Beware as Melanie said.

thymes
March 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
This post has been deleted

Blackdog22
March 6th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Thymes, maybe next time your SIL is thinking about getting a dog she could rescue.
If she is after a cheap healthy dog, rescue is the way to go. Otherwise, encourage her to RESEARCH (not talk on the phone and send emails to someone) the breeder heavily. FYI, I doubt you will find a purebred healthy chihuahua, from a reputable breeder for 300.

This is a crappy situation, but entirely your SIL's fault for being ignorant.

So, is she going to keep the dog or is that in question? If it is, please don't give it back to that lady....i'm sure that goes without saying.

Good luck with your troubles....

aslan
March 6th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I personally want to thank cell for being the only one who answered the OP's question with out bashing the crap out of her. Yes we all know the evils of buying from a byb and hmmm we all learned it somewhere. It makes no sense to kick the person while they're down.

To the OP as cell said without a written contrace, bill of sale,health guarantee, there isn't going to be alot that can be done in this situation. I hope all turns out well for the dog.

Ford
March 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM
This is another example of a new user who came to the forum looking for help, only to be chased away by those who would rather judge than help. If you are unable to provide advice, or feel the need to only post disparaging remarks, please move on to another thread. Rudeness and snide comments does not help, and only reflects poorly on yourself, and the board.

Please remember, first impressions can mean the difference between someone visiting again to become more educated about our pets, and leaving to never return.

This thread will now be locked.

Your friendly neighbourhood mod,
Ford