Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Diezel learned down...kinda lol

onster
March 5th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks Scuba, Hazel and Angeldogs for tips to get him lay down. In the end, angeldogs method worked the best with Diezel (moving the treat down then back rather than forward) and now Diezel knows down :thumbs up I say kinda because if I say down only he just looks at me like with those big brown eyes utterly confused and then tries to shake/sit :rolleyes: I need to touch my hand to the ground but no longer near his paws or anything and he will go down. I think he'll be better at it tomorrow hopefully :thumbs up

Thanks all for your help with him. My friend saw the vids and is so impressed. She asked me today she wants to visit him but hopes he will be calm. I told her I dont know as he may get excited but I could try tiring him out first and then asking him to sit/lay down. She just gets scared when he jumps up so hopefully he sit/lay down and then he will get some loving from his mama :lovestruck:

Oh and he also learned to fetch. Today was the first day he would actually bring the ball back and drop it somewhat near me lol. Before getting him to drop it was imposible and when Id approach him he'd run off with it again.

Here are the vids...

Combo move - Shake Sit Down:

http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt298/Diesel_08/?action=view&current=shakesitdown.flv

Fetch:
http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt298/Diesel_08/?action=view&current=fetch.flv

And 2 downs:
http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt298/Diesel_08/?action=view&current=down.flv

http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt298/Diesel_08/?action=view&current=down2.flv

He really likes to shake whenever I ask him anything :crazy:

Oh and otter he loooves the chicken weiners. had some today and he went craaaaazy. I didnt ask him to do anything and he sat then tried to shake with one paw, then the other then both!!! hahahahaha

hazelrunpack
March 5th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Sounds like a totally successful day! That's a cool tip, angeldogs! I have to try that with Macie :fingerscr

So did your friend come along today, onster? Was Diezel a good boy for her? :goodvibes:

14+kitties
March 5th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Diezel is starting to be a regular gentleman now. :cloud9: Wonderful!!
Sammy does the same thing with the shake when she gets excited. Which is just about all the time. :D Those paws of hers just get going. First one, then the other........... :rolleyes:

onster
March 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Sounds like a totally successful day! That's a cool tip, angeldogs! I have to try that with Macie :fingerscr

So did your friend come along today, onster? Was Diezel a good boy for her? :goodvibes:

It really was a good day! Somedays (like yesterday) he doesnt really listen to me, just spends his time chasing things and running off so that I get bored/frustrated and leave after a while. Today though his focus was 100% on me, i spent like 2 hours there and he only ran off twice and only for a run around then he came back. Heck there was a point where I was sitting down on some rocks and he had his head on my lap getting pets when suddenly these 2 ducks fly overhead (pretty low) he looked up but didnt even try to chase them :D usually if a bird so much as comes anywhere near his 'space' he gets this wild look and runs off :crazy:

Angeldogs method really worked! Diezel got it right away :thumbs up Macie doesnt know sit or down? :eek::p lol aww its ok i loves u anyway :lovestruck:

She didnt come today just expressed her desire to come sometime but not with her husband with me :D

Diezel is starting to be a regular gentleman now. :cloud9: Wonderful!!
Sammy does the same thing with the shake when she gets excited. Which is just about all the time. :D Those paws of hers just get going. First one, then the other........... :rolleyes:
He is isnt he :cloud9: My friends hubby emailed me today and said and I quote "Diesel has improved his behaviour since you started taking care of him" :D Apparently he isnt as mouthy/rambuctious anymore. I dont see how teaching him tricks did that but maybe its like positively chanelling his energy lol i dunno :shrug:

The shake thing is too funny eh? I tried to have my palm facing down to go with a hang signal for down but as soon as he sees that hand no matter what way he just tries to paw at it like mad!!!

onster
March 5th, 2009, 10:04 PM
and speaking of sammy, we havent seen pics of her lately :sad: :cry2:

angeldogs
March 5th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Good job.your doing a wonderful with Diezel.he seems to be learning quickly.One smart boy.

Hazel when we are teaching puppies to adult dogs the down holding the treat low to the ground and moving it in between their paws they slide their bums back and go down.some get most of the way down and we will start moving it back towards us slowly so they go down is a stretch to reach the treat.we find it very successful in teaching down.

You are channelling his energy.your making him work for his treats and can his food.and dogs like to work and teaching new tricks your making him use his mind which is all a good thing.

onster
March 5th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks again angeldogs! Really the better behaved he becomes i think the better quality of life he will have because his people will be able to interact with him more and more :thumbs up I think, once their daughter is better :pray:, this will also let them know that if they work on it he can learn a lot.

I think he is very smart but quite stubborn too!

angeldogs
March 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Your welcome.The very smart ones can be stubburn.

hazelrunpack
March 5th, 2009, 11:33 PM
You can tell Diezel's learning to value your presence, onster--yesterday he ran off so you left. Today he wouldn't let himself get distracted and lose you! :thumbs up

I'll try that trick, angeldogs. Our little waif, Macie, gets catatonic when presented with new commands so she's been a challenge. She's just soooo not into that 'sit' and 'down' thing. :dog:

angeldogs
March 5th, 2009, 11:50 PM
You can tell Diezel's learning to value your presence, onster--yesterday he ran off so you left. Today he wouldn't let himself get distracted and lose you! :thumbs up

I'll try that trick, angeldogs. Our little waif, Macie, gets catatonic when presented with new commands so she's been a challenge. She's just soooo not into that 'sit' and 'down' thing. :dog:

Yep some of them can be like that.hope it works for you with Macie.make it a real valuable treat when you do it.

ancientgirl
March 6th, 2009, 10:05 AM
That's so great! He's a smart boy, and you are wonderful for teaching these things. In the long run, you are doing him a great service, not just feeding him and leaving. You are giving him some company and someone to please and play with as well as teaching him to be a really good member of your friends family. Maybe once the mother in law gets out of the hospital, your friends hubby can devote some time to him and he can be more than just an outside dog on a farm.

Chris21711
March 6th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Great going Onster, he has really come a long way since you have been visiting and working with him, maybe your friends just didn't spend too much time one on one with him, he sure seems to be responding to you though :thumbs up

AG - It is not the MIL in hospital it is their young Daughter :sad:

onster
March 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM
He does get a lot of attention from the MIL (whose now on holiday). She lives alone on the big farm and really Diezel is her only companion. I think maybe they are too soft with him, not that Im mean! But he is stubborn and you have to be stubborn right back. Sit means sit! They tried training him before but I guess they gave up easily/ he knows that they will not be pig headed like me and not give him the treat till he sits :p They had dogs before which were apparently trained - Diezel is the first one they had to use an electric collar on :sad: I think he is too smart for his own good and they are too soft.

For the first few days of trying to teach him sit he would not do it at all! I got frustrated really and I almost gave up - I told my friend you know he is impossible! But then the next day I thought what the heck one more sit...I said sit and he sat!!! So he knew how to do it but he just didnt want to :rolleyes::frustrated: After that shake only took afew times, he listened faster. And after I fig'd out how to get him to lie down (thanks again angeldogs) he learned it right away too.

Jim Hall
March 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM
lol as with any animal patience is the key oh and yummy treats too

ancientgirl
March 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Great going Onster, he has really come a long way since you have been visiting and working with him, maybe your friends just didn't spend too much time one on one with him, he sure seems to be responding to you though :thumbs up

AG - It is not the MIL in hospital it is their young Daughter :sad:

Oh geez! I'm a dork. I remember now. That's terrible. I got confused, since the MIL isn't there I then thought it was her. I hope that little girl gets better soon.

onster
March 6th, 2009, 11:11 AM
lol the first few days he'd spit out the treats too Jim!!
haha he was impossible on all fronts :p

onster
March 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM
AG its easy to get mixed up!

Their little girl had the tube out but still on Oxygen. I went to visit, poor girl..her breathing is soooo rattly, her chest is just so full of gunk. Its heart breaking :sad: They have to pump her lungs (hand pump) with air then shake her to loosen up the phlegm and then use suction tube in her nose and mouth. She cries and moans the whole time :cry: I am seriously in awe of how strong her parents are.

Chris21711
March 6th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Oink...I think AG and myself have been drinking the same stuff! I forgot that it was the MIL's dog and that they were caring for him while she was away :loser:

I think you are making a lot of progress Onster, I've been working with Skippy for 8+ years on not snatching treats, sometimes he will still try :wall:

krdahmer
March 6th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Wow Deizel is so smart! I bet he is improving so much because of all this extra love and attention he's been getting! ;)

My :pray: that the little girl gets better soon... that sounds very painful for her!

and speaking of sammy, we havent seen pics of her lately :sad: :cry2:
Ya .... um ditto!!! :frustrated::D

onster
March 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM
lol come on if u could snatch treats wouldnt u chris?? :p:p

Im off duty for the weekend and it sucks :cry: I miss Diezel :yell::yell: I was excited to work with him again.

thanks for the wellwishes, ill pass them on.

hazelrunpack
March 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
What that poor girl is going through! :cry: And her parents... Does she have something like cystic fibrosis? :sad:

:goodvibes: for continued improvement for her!

Yep some of them can be like that.hope it works for you with Macie.make it a real valuable treat when you do it.

Im off duty for the weekend and it sucks I miss Diezel I was excited to work with him again

Wanna come work with Macie this weekend, onster? Turns out Macie can contort herself into a pretzel and would rather stand on her head than sit or lie down on command...and she almost did stand on her head.... She can get her head under her belly and between her hind legs without ever falling over... :rolleyes: :laughing: So she still doesn't sit... :o

But she did give me sweet kussies after we'd worked at it a while. :cloud9:

angeldogs
March 6th, 2009, 10:39 PM
What that poor girl is going through! :cry: And her parents... Does she have something like cystic fibrosis? :sad:

:goodvibes: for continued improvement for her!

Wanna come work with Macie this weekend, onster? Turns out Macie can contort herself into a pretzel and would rather stand on her head than sit or lie down on command...and she almost did stand on her head.... She can get her head under her belly and between her hind legs without ever falling over... :rolleyes: :laughing: So she still doesn't sit... :o

But she did give me sweet kussies after we'd worked at it a while. :cloud9:
Macie sounds like a silly pup and a flexable one at that.:laughing:.keep trying

Have you tried putting a real tasty treat to her nose and start moving it towards the top of her head so he nose follows the treat until it gets so her head is going into a howling position so she has to sit to keep following the treat.it might work for the sit.

Then again Macie might just put herself into a reverse pretzel.LOL

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Yep...that was the first thing I tried, angeldogs :o Reverse pretzel is about it. So I tried positioning her to put her butt against a wall when she started backing up and twisting--all that did was allow her to leverage herself into a tighter pretzel. :rolleyes: She's a stubborn little cookie, that one! :laughing: But hazel luvz her anywayz :cloud9:

Maybe Diezel can visit with onster and show her the ropes :thumbs up

onster
March 7th, 2009, 11:06 AM
awww hehehe goofy macie :crazy::crazy: I would love to visit Macie and the whole crew!

Hazel, their girl has a severe case of muscular dystrophy and the respiratory distress is a symptom (she cant cough on her own/ is more prone to respiratory illness).

angeldogs
March 7th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Yep...that was the first thing I tried, angeldogs :o Reverse pretzel is about it. So I tried positioning her to put her butt against a wall when she started backing up and twisting--all that did was allow her to leverage herself into a tighter pretzel. :rolleyes: She's a stubborn little cookie, that one! :laughing: But hazel luvz her anywayz :cloud9:

Maybe Diezel can visit with onster and show her the ropes :thumbs up

:laughing: for some reason i can just picture that.silly girl.

My best wishes for the daughter and my prayers that the parents stay strong for her.

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Hazel, their girl has a severe case of muscular dystrophy and the respiratory distress is a symptom (she cant cough on her own/ is more prone to respiratory illness).

:sad: We have friends whose daughter also has muscular dystrophy. She's been on a respirator for years...she's in her 20s now...

onster
March 31st, 2009, 03:38 PM
I bought Diezel a cuz today.

Omg big mistake.

I spent an hour trying to chase him down to get it back!!! He wouldnt trade it for anything. If he dropped it for a treat as soon as I'd reach in to get it hed drop to the treat grab it and run away. In the end I had to give up and leave. WHen I got in my car he was still playing with it and it rolled out of his reach in the electric zone. My God the whimpering that went on.

Was my chance to get it back. Went it but he just kept crying and looking at me so sad jumping up to get it I didnt have the heart to take it and threw it back.

He doesnt chew on it just make it squeek squeek.

Oh and the other dog was there too. He stole the cuz for a while then Diezel would come stand by me (get it back!!!) lol. Played fetch with the other dog a bit. They ran around after eachother and playbowed. At some points I got nervous though because they would jump up at eachother and growly snarly biting would ensue. Made me kinda scared when they did that next to me. Have to learn how to read doggie language.

onster
March 31st, 2009, 03:38 PM
oh and thank you all for ure well wishes.
The daughter is back to her normal now. YAY

No more rattly chest , no more oxygen! :)

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2009, 03:47 PM
I'm glad the daughter is better now.

Does that mean you won't be seeing Diezel anymore?

onster
March 31st, 2009, 04:06 PM
Shes been better for bout a week , i just forgot to update :o:o

But im still going :thumbs up They feel really bad though and told me whenever I dont want to anymore to tell them...dont think that will be the case.

True somedays I really dont wanan get supremely muddy and stinky but when I go there and hes super happy to see me its worth it.

I just wish they would give him a bath.

angeldogs
March 31st, 2009, 09:00 PM

That is good to hear that she is back to normal.

hazelrunpack
April 2nd, 2009, 10:42 PM

That's great that their daughter is doing so well now! :highfive: Is she home again?

And how is Diezel doing ? What new tricks did he learn while hazel was off in :rip: motherboard land? :o

onster
April 2nd, 2009, 10:51 PM
thanks for all ure well wishes angeldogs..yep its great that she's better.

Hazel - yes she's at home.

ure motherboard :rip: eh? I was wondering where u were at :o i hadnt been in the tjt so i assumed u were busy there :P

diezel...hasnt really learned anything else. He doesnt seem to want to learn anymore :frustrated: He knows sit, down, rollover, shake & crawl down pat. But now when I try to teach him something new ill get in him to sit. He sits takes a treat and then runs off. Then comes back in a minute and say i tell him sit but dont give him a treat (to teach him something else) he runs off again. I think with spring theres a lot more interesting things appearing in his space so he's a bit more distracted than usual :shrug:

Oh and the ultimate distraction is the cuz. Yesterday when I pulled up to the gate there was the orange cuz just lying on the ground (not in electric zone). He was off chillaxing somewhere but as soon as he saw me and greeted me of course he ran for the cuz and squeek squeek squeek/ running with it. He loves dunking it in his water bucket and fishing for it. Gets his whole head soaked. quite funny actually. Has done this 3 days in a row several times.

Today the cuz was again in front of the gate but this time in the electric area so I thought Id feed him first then work on some tricks :D but after he ate he kept trying to get the cuz and circling and coming to me then running back to cuz area so I gave in and threw it to him. And so began another hour of him refusing to give the cuz back just squeek squeek squeek..dunking it.. running with it. :crazy:

Sometimes he'd drop it and run off but as soon as I come close he comes galloping for it and grabs it. It gets kinda boring I have to say but not to him lol. I run after him sometimes and then he gets really excited running with his cuz.

I wonder when the novelty will wear off. You think he'd be sick of it since I leave it with him? (I know these things usually require supervision but considering they leave cans around - apparently he likes to lick them clean- and he has a whole bunch of other things he can hurt himself eating yet hasnt I didn think a cuz would hurt. I checked it over today and no cracks or anything that looks like its about to fall off.

hazelrunpack
April 3rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
Sounds like Cuz has made another convert! :D

Our dogs are pretty distracted these days, too...pregnant squirrels must smell really funky :rolleyes: And so many little birds to point! The Pack is beside itself trying to decide what to watch next. Wait till the swallows return--Diezel will exhaust himself running below them, looking up! :laughing:

onster
April 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Whats special bout the swallows??? Its good to know its not just the goofball Diezel who's acting mad :P

lol

i asked my friends hubby to feed Diezel today. Its been raining all day and still raining. I'll admit it I just dont wanna get dirty today lol. Plus the farm is all open so the wind is stronger and it can be freezing there!!!

hazelrunpack
April 4th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Swallows like to swoop low over open areas...dogs love to chase them across those open areas. :D Leastwise, hazel's do! :p The Princess-Queen is especially good at that activity. :dog:

growler~GateKeeper
April 4th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Glad to hear the girl is better :goodvibes:

It sounds like Diesel likes a good game of chase that's why he's always after the cuz when you're there, plus is doesn't want it taken away ~ clever boy :pawprint:

Swallows like to swoop low over open areas...dogs love to chase them across those open areas. :D Leastwise, hazel's do! :p The Princess-Queen is especially good at that activity. :dog:

Uh....... is that next on the 'To Video Tape' list? :D :D