Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another question....

shan
August 4th, 2004, 12:23 PM
One more question....I used to just hook Annies lead to her collar, but she gets really excited when she has to go and runs to the end of her lead, pulling on her neck. I have started using a harness for her, and this seems to help. I put it on in the morning when she goes out in the morning, then take it off when I leave for work. It goes back on when I get home from work and then stays on till bed time. Is it okay for this to be left on for that amont of time? (about 5 or so hours total/day) Also the harness I have is pulled over the head, and latches behind the back leg. Is there a better alternative to this? Annie doesnt like the harness being pulled on/off over her head.

Thanks agin

MBRA518
August 4th, 2004, 09:33 PM
My dog pulls like that too - you might want to try a halti - or head halter... dogs don't usually like them at first but soon learn to associate them with walks and soon get used to them. They will go on only when used through, but it really helps the pulling.

sammiec
August 5th, 2004, 10:53 AM
What kind of training does Annie have?

shan
August 5th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Annie is 6 months on the 8th, so she doesnt have a whole lot of training. She is usually quite well behaved on a leash, as she has been on it since the day I got her. She just gets excited when she has to go and runs as fast as she can out the door to the end of her leash. I would like to teach her how to heel, I am just not to sure how to start. I have thought about obedience classes, but there arent a whole lot around where I am, in fact there isnt any in my town (Ponoka Alberta). I am working to try and teach her manners myself.

sammiec
August 5th, 2004, 11:45 AM
I looked in Leduc, Lacombe, AND Red Deer and couldn't find ANYTHING!! That's actually kinda surprising since Red Deer is pretty big! ( I have family in Edmonton and Cochrane!!) My only suggestion can be... Good Owners, Great Dogs... it's a book by Brian Killcommons and Sarah Wilson!! It's fantastic! I have talked about it a couple of times in this forum; they teach you a lot of puppy obedience training, I used this before Briggs and I started classes...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0446675385/002-9360672-8220808?v=glance

I bought mine at a SuperPet, not sure if you even have one of those in your area!!! But you should be able to find it, or order on line...

shan
August 5th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Okay thanks! I will try and find it!

Lucky Rescue
August 5th, 2004, 12:13 PM
She just gets excited when she has to go and runs as fast as she can out the door to the end of her leash

My dog did this too when I got her. She didn't have any manners and would bolt out the door the second I opened it.

You must teach her to sit at the door and wait for her leash to be put on, and NOT race out the door when you open it.

Here is what I did. Had my dog sit in front of the door and kept her sitting until her leash was on. If she gets up, help her to sit again, but do not repeat the command.

I held the leash in one hand, and started to open the door with the other hand. As soon as the door started to open, if my dog got up, I SLAMMED the door in her face. Had her sit again, and repeated until she remained sitting as the door opened. Then YOU go out the door first while the dog remains sitting.

Dog learns that she is not going anywhere until she politely sits and waits.

Do not ever let her bolt out ahead of you. If you do, and then you follow her, she has learned that doing this gets her what she wants.

This works.

Work on that, and then we'll tell you how to teach "heel". :D