Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is your dog protective?

LNeilB
March 5th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I guess with Greyhounds it's likely a 50/50 proposition. We have a few wimps in our ranks :D

Nigel will bark, but beyond that I can't rely on him. Truffles will just run fast. Sola would lay down her life for me.

One night, I thought it would come to that. (http://lifewithdogs.blogspot.com/2009/03/locked-loaded-loser.html) :eek:

Ever had any middle of the night scares?

SnowDancer
March 5th, 2009, 09:34 AM
No one got between me and my 2 Alpha Dachshunds - but my Eskimo will most definitely alert me to the need to protect him - as he hides behind me. Yet people think that the American Eskimo breed is, shall we say "vicious" - and the Dachshund comical. Right!

ruby2sday
March 5th, 2009, 11:16 AM
My shih tzu thinks he's a rotweiller.

BenMax
March 5th, 2009, 11:21 AM
My min pin....well I rather not say - but is definately one of the worst temperment I have ever encountered. Most difficult dog for others to love I am afraid...(but I love her!):lovestruck:

TacoGrl
March 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Not a dog, but my Messina is right there to pass judgement on guests' worthiness to come near me...it was funny, someone was walking down the hall to the door the other night...Messina was right at the door growling and Seth was sitting behind her with his head resting on her hindside.

lUvMyLaB<3
March 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM
my lab will bark, when someone comes in the yard or something, she used to bark a lot, now she barks 4 times then sits, i think if we were not home we could trust her. She is DEFINITELY very protective of dogs, wont let a strange dog anywhere near her people. my little guc-miester is really good at warning us about everything and anything, I think he is just alerting us that a strange person is near and he is about to get petted and told how cute he is, he loves everyone and everything... a lot!

luckypenny
March 5th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Ava's so protective, she'd protect any intruders from the other dogs trying to protect us :rolleyes:. Anything for a stranger's attention :D.

Funny blog entry LNeilB, lol. I see you and my dh have a particular kind of sense of humor in common :clown:.

:D

Dog Dancer
March 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
My LabX Halo is a nervous dog and barks if anybody approaches at night. If they did anything untoward I'm quite certain she would have a go at them. Halo will also protect me from any garbage cans that may try to sneak up on us in the dark also! My AkitaX Shadow is definitely protective. She has a good sense of people though and only growls or warns if she doesn't like the feel of the person. Her responses have been spot on as far as I can tell. I know that a fellow down the road from us is a drug dealer and if he walks past us when we're out Shadow will walk backwards to keep an eye on him. He's never made one move towards us and she's never made a move on him, but she has him pegged as a person of concern and I agree with her.

Luvmypitgirls
March 5th, 2009, 04:33 PM
My Rotti Kato, is very protective, I pity the fool that ever tries to break into my house or tries something with me while on a walk or something.

Now as for my Pits, well let's just say if anyone broke into my house while we were gone, they'd probably do nothing more than knock the person down and try to lick their faces off.

When someone comes to the door Kato is right there hackles up, growling, until I give him the "stand down" command. The pits are there wagging their butts so hard big smiles on their faces as if to say "Oh is it a new friend? Who's here, can I kiss em?" I tell them they are "pit-thetic", but I wouldn't want them any other way.:)

LNeilB
March 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
My Rotti Kato, is very protective, I pity the fool that ever tries to break into my house or tries something with me while on a walk or something.

Now as for my Pits, well let's just say if anyone broke into my house while we were gone, they'd probably do nothing more than knock the person down and try to lick their faces off.

When someone comes to the door Kato is right there hackles up, growling, until I give him the "stand down" command. The pits are there wagging their butts so hard big smiles on their faces as if to say "Oh is it a new friend? Who's here, can I kiss em?" I tell them they are "pit-thetic", but I wouldn't want them any other way.:)

:laughing: That is not necessarily a bad thing!

Etown_Chick
March 5th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I found out how protective scruffy is one day last summer. I was gardening, and he wandered away from me. I turned around to see what he was doing, and he was licking the hand of the meter reader who'd come into the back yard...sigh...
But I don't blame him, he was still 'new to me' at that point. He's become more protective of me and the property since. I'm not sure what he'd do if someone attacked ME, but if they dared to take his frisbee, THEN there'd be trouble lol.