Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A scary incident today

chico2
March 4th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Today while walking Bailey,I hear this man scream"don't pull"I bet you the could hear it in Niagara Falls:laughing:
Anyway,here is this huge man with two dogs,I think they were a Pit-Bull type,not Staffies though.
This dogs were short and very muscular,large chests,ears cropped and they were dying to get to Bailey.
As big as the man was,he could not hold the dogs,he told me to go away:sad:
As I was leaving,the dogs spotted Fate in her yard and they went ballistic started to fight each other and crying and screaming like crazy,it was just horrible.
The man finally got them apart and continued being dragged by these dogs.
I am not a Pit-Bull hater,but these 2 dogs really scared me,the man had no control over them at all.
They had big heads,very wide jaws,but much shorter and chunkier than a beautiful Staffie would be..I was scared,but at the same time felt very sorry for these dogs:sad:

BusterBoo
March 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Glad no one was hurt!!!! I think this guy needs to get some obedience training soon since once the good weather starts, his doggies will want to be on more walks. Maybe if you are out one day (without Bailey!), you can suggest he takes his pups for some serious training.

:shrug:

14+kitties
March 4th, 2009, 06:01 PM
That would have been very scary! :eek:
Y'know, it's not the dogs I am afraid of so much as the :loser: owners who don't know how to handle them! :frustrated:

Love4himies
March 4th, 2009, 06:10 PM
:eek::eek::grouphug::grouphug: Why would he walk dogs he had no control over :wall: :loser:? Were they muzzled?

It is owners like this guy (if he was the owner and not a babysitter) that give pitbulls a bad name. Poor dogs, they will be the ones suffering the consequences of not being properly socialized and trained. :sad:

cell
March 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
It sounds like the man has American Bullies, which are essentially unrecognizable from their American pit bull origins, created by mans greed and vanity.
These are the type of "pitties" (Although many pit bull enthusiasts reject these dogs as pit bulls due to its lack of functionality from the original am staff like standard and the persona that it is bringing about for the positive pits out there) you see on the cover of rap albums, or with the huge spiked collars. The dogs that you see studded out on kijiji advertising 30" headpieces (yes they refer to the dogs head and a headpiece like its wearing a hat or something). These dogs seem to have been created by backyard breeders who have nothing in mind but the image of the animals they are trying to create. Maybe this was not the immediate focus, as stated in this article http://caninecity.17.forumer.com/a/the-abkc-standard-for-american-bullies_post20.html
The "breed" is essentially pit bull will English bulldog and some other things mixed in, trying to get a squat dog with huge muscling, hugely broad chests and giant heads. The line of the dog depends to what extent it has been influenced on the preference, some of the dogs are still fairly light and functional, while some look like they will collapse under their own weight.
I do no like this style of pit bull, the videos I have seen of them display animals with poor movement, poor agility and speed, and usually can't even stand for long periods of time due to their disfigured stature and structure. But the enthusiasts like them because they look big, "gangsta" and tough.

The dogs have come from this:
http://blog.oregonlive.com/environment_impact/2008/05/medium_pitbull.5.19.JPG

To Create This:

http://www.northcountygottiline.net/GINSA.JPG
http://www.kcgottilinepits.com/gottilineguero20c.jpg

TacoGrl
March 4th, 2009, 08:55 PM
That is scary! :eek:

For the life of me, I will never understand why some people have dogs that require more care and/or training than they are prepared for! :frustrated:

A little research goes a long way.

I used to want a boxer because of the way they looked...I researched them and decided I do not have the lifestyle they require, so guess what? I DIDN'T GET ONE!

hazelrunpack
March 4th, 2009, 09:24 PM
That guy was seriously out of his league. Wouldn't you think if he couldn't handle them together he'd figure out that walking them one at a time might be better? Sometimes you have to wonder seriously about people's sanity.

You be careful, Chico. Even if you don't have Bailey with you next time, you don't know how well socialized these dogs are toward people. :grouphug: And this guy sounds like an accident waiting to happen...

chico2
March 5th, 2009, 08:33 AM
cell,the heads and size of the dogs in the pic(not the staffie)are very similar,legs were not that severe though.
L4H,no they were not muzzled,they were panting like crazy,but probably just being excited to be outside.

I've never seen them before and hope I don't see them again.
It is very possible this man was only watching these dogs,the way he was yelling at them.
They ended up being all tangled after they jumped each other,but they did not seem to be hurt,the crying was heartbreaking though...:sad:
Hazel,no I would never approach these dogs,or the person who"walked"them,I was really scared.
They came from the town-house complex across the street from my house.
Still,they are dogs and I wonder how they are treated behind closed doors:sad:

Blackdog22
March 5th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Cell, I think some of the low to the ground XXL pits you are talking about can be easily traced back to a bloodline of pitbull. Despite belief, alot of these dogs are indeed purebred, purple ribbon, registered apbt. They are not the type known to be game and are usually only bred/sold for looks. You will not likely see these dogs at any performance event, be it legal, or illegal.

I'm glad nothing bad happened, perhaps try to meet up with the owner(when your dogless of course) and ask him a few questions about his pups. Everyone has to start training somewhere, maybe this fellow finally took the initiative and just doesnt have a clue what to do. In which case, encouragement from the community would likely be well received. I would try to go help the guy, give him advice, let him know you want him and his dogs to succeed.

Melinda
March 5th, 2009, 09:16 AM
those dogs look just like Daddy, Ceasor milans dog!! some dogs are just normally leash aggresive and once off leash are fine, I had a dog like that .....

BenMax
March 5th, 2009, 09:18 AM
They could have been mastiffs as there are many different kinds. Or American Bulldogs that sometimes get thought of as pitties or AMSTAFs.

Maybe this 'dude' realizes that this incident could cost the lives of his dogs?:loser:

Hopefully this has taught him a lesson...:shrug:

ancientgirl
March 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Unbelievable! I'm so glad you, Bailey and Fate are okay!

These are the consequences of people who are in over their heads. It sounds like these dogs had never even seen another dog!

Cell, those pictures are disturbing. Man should NOT play with nature! Period!

chico2
March 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
BenMax,they were not Mastiffs for sure or American Bulldogs,they had short legs and a longer body than an English Bulldog,but faces just like the pic Cell showed.
I actually saw this man shortly before,being dropped off from a pick-up,so it's quiet possible he is dog-sitting these 2 dogs and does not know how to handle them.
I am totally against muzzles,but if something happened these dogs would be in trouble,as would the owner.
A former member(GG)wrote me,that it's possible they just don't like being on a leash and got all worked up because of it,does not make them bad dogs,but they scared me,because they were dragging the big strong man.
I know Fate,who is never walked on a leash,just about choked herself one day when someone tried to walk her.
BlackDog,I would have no problems with approaching the dogs,where they a little calmer,but the"owner"asked me to go away,since I was near my house,that's what I did.

onster
March 5th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I would have been sooo scared. Im glad you were all ok :grouphug:

erykah1310
March 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM
WOW, Chico, scary indeed.
Glad everyone was alright though, when you start thinking of the "what if's" and such could cause one to lose sleep.

growler~GateKeeper
March 6th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I would have no problems with approaching the dogs,where they a little calmer,but the"owner"asked me to go away,since I was near my house,that's what I did.

It sounds like the guy realized he would not be able to handle both dogs around another dog and though a poor choice of words was looking out for your & Bailey's safety. It is also possible the dogs are not socialized to people as well. :sad:

chico2
March 6th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I am not normally afraid of dogs,I would only approach a strange dog if the owner approves.
But I am responsible for little Bailey and would do anything to protect her.
These pups ,had the owner lost the grip on the leashes,might just run off,not go for Bailey,but I rather not put myself and her in that situation.
I kind of watched yesterday,there were lots of dogs outside,I guess people hibernate over winter,but I did not see these two,I would have heard them from far off,the owner yells at them really loud...poor misunderstood pups:sad: