Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some People Shouldn't Own Pets!

Scuba
March 4th, 2009, 04:08 PM
It angers me so much when I see people with dogs who aren't responsible. Off leash on the streets or not picking up after their dogs.

The other night going home on my bicycle, if I had been going a little faster I would probably have hit two little dogs (Shih Tzus). Some owner was just letting them run around off leash. These two little terrors when I nearly made them into roadkill were running across the street barking their little heads off towards a nice lady walking her Golden (on leash). The idiot owner didn't do anything to stop them either!

Today I saw some guy walking his Bulldog which deposits a nice warm pile of turd in the flower bed of an apartment. Instead of cleaning it up, he just looks at it. Its not a sculpture, its a steaming pile of poo that by law you have to pick up. Deal with it damn it! When I suggested to him that it would be nice if he could clean it up, he just gave me a dirty look and walked off with his dog. I don't want to preach to people but whatever happened to common decency?

I have bags on me all the time now (I don't even have my own dog) and afterward I was thinking about whether I should have cleaned up after that dog. At the same time I am hesistant about it since I was never responsible for it in the first place.

Just gets so angry sometimes. Rant over, going to hop on my bicycle for a long ride (providing I don't run into any off leash dogs).

hazelrunpack
March 4th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I stopped to pick up after an inconsiderate dog walker once (yep...I carry bags all the time, too!) and got yelled at by the irate property owner for allowing my dog to poop on his grass. :eek: Don't know where he thought my dog had gotten off to, though, since I wasn't walking one at the time. :laughing:

How did your bike ride go? :D Uneventful, I hope! :fingerscr

cell
March 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I was walking home today and had to avoid a huge steam pile someone left from their dog in the middle of the city sidewalk. I understand that sometimes dogs can go more times then you have bags (I personally would have 2) but at least haul the dog off to the side off the sidewalk.

Growing up as a kid the neighbors dog would come over and leave piles on our yard, until my dad got fed up and picked up all the piles in a shovel and flinged it against the bricks of their house, where it stayed stuck to the side. It wasn't long after that the owners started using their tie out...

Etown_Chick
March 4th, 2009, 08:42 PM
A neighbor's cat used to leave his 'doo' in my garden. I got so fed up that I picked up all I could find and left it on their doorstop. Too bad they never got the hint.
I always take spare bags to the park. I don't mind picking up a few extra loads to keep the park cleaner but c'mon people! Our park has turned into a pigsty from all the pooh, and a LOT of the culprits are the regulars..grr.

angeldogs
March 4th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I hate when people walk their dogs off leash in the city.we have one guy around here that does walk his dog off leash and were on a high traffic street.i hate it but the dog does listen to every command the guy tells him and does pick up after.he is one of the few that pickup after their dog thats off leash.and we get lots that don't pickup at all.

onster
March 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I hear ya scuba!

One of the neighbours dogs seems to poop on our yard all the time :frustrated: I think we have it particularly bad cuz our house is on the corner.

cassblonde
March 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM
I was gonna post a rant about "Why don't they pick it up?!?" but I see someone else already has :)

I always pick up after my dog although I do let my dog off leash in a couple areas and my dog loves to chase bikes ... I normally ask nicely for the bike rider to stop and re-leash Susie if one comes along.

Bailey_
March 31st, 2009, 06:04 PM
Its not a sculpture, its a steaming pile of poo that by law you have to pick up.

:laughing: Well said!! I personally don't think there's ANY excuse for not having enough bags. You can get one of those handy little disposable poop-bags (they usually are in the shape of a dog-bone) at any petstore, cheap! It gives you an entire roll, and you can clip it to the leash, the zipper of your coat, and I personally wear it on the belthoop of my jeans.

Yay for poop pickers!

cell
March 31st, 2009, 08:37 PM
Its really gross the state of city sidewalk now that the snow is melting piles that have been deposited, covered by snow and then more deposits are now all over the place since the snow has melted, it literally looks like a toilet on the sidewalks now. There are other dogs, peoples new puppies, and toddlers running around on the street, its disgusting, no wonder people don't let their kids outside, its like a open sewer. Also if your dog has the runs and you know you can't pick it up at least don't walk on busy streets, steer towards less used street or areas with shrubbery.

Mat&Murph
March 31st, 2009, 08:59 PM
I get mad too when someone lets their dog poo all over my yard and not pick up...I have 2 very large dogs And I NEVER let them poo on someone else's yard let alone not pick up!!!
They won't like haveing to deal with mastiff poo on their yard!!!

kitona
March 31st, 2009, 09:35 PM
Dog poo may be bad, but the worst I've run into is HUMAN poo in some of our parks! One can always tell 'cause there's toilet paper nearby and my dogs get more interested in it than with dog poo. It's gotta be the worst! Joggers, take baggies with you!

ancientgirl
April 1st, 2009, 08:27 AM
Where I live there is a rule that you have to keep your dog on a leash when you take them out. And there are only certain areas you can walk them. They have made it very easy for owners to walk their dogs. They have little areas with grass where they can do their business, and the place even supplies you with plastic bags and a little garbage can on this pole. Yet there are people who let their dogs pee and poop in the hallways, in the stairwells and some people just let their dogs off leash to run where ever they want. The association spent over $40k, redoing the entire landscaping. This money was passed on to the owners, and there are people who let their dogs in the gardens, where many plants are dead because of pee.

Now, because of these irresponsible people, they are implementing rules for everyone who owns dogs. Higher fines if you are caught allowing your dog to pee/poop where they should not, if they are off leash and if you walk them where they should not be. They even set up cameras. What's worse, the rule is you can't have a dog over 15 or 20 pounds, and up to now they've turned a blind eye to bigger dogs. Now my neighbor who owns the most amazing boxer, is thinking they may need to move because they may be fined monthly because their dog is over the limit.

All this because some irresponsible people didn't follow the rules and just allowed their dogs to do anything. Not the dogs fault, they only know what their owners allow them to do.

Melinda
April 1st, 2009, 08:57 AM
:laughing: Well said!! I personally don't think there's ANY excuse for not having enough bags. You can get one of those handy little disposable poop-bags (they usually are in the shape of a dog-bone) at any petstore, cheap! It gives you an entire roll, and you can clip it to the leash, the zipper of your coat, and I personally wear it on the belthoop of my jeans.

Yay for poop pickers!

mine is shaped like a fire hydrant, and yes, I pass them out to people..politely, just wish their words back to me were just as polite, we walk on the bike path here, its disgusting the way our one neighbour uses it for her dogs personal toilet and doesn't pick up. Brina was trained to step aside and sit on the grass when a bike comes or roller blader etc. she is always leashed but I use an extendable leash and sometimes she see's the bikes before I do.

muggsmom
April 1st, 2009, 09:19 AM
Dog poo may be bad, but the worst I've run into is HUMAN poo in some of our parks! One can always tell 'cause there's toilet paper nearby and my dogs get more interested in it than with dog poo. It's gotta be the worst! Joggers, take baggies with you!

That is one of the most disgusting things I have ever heard!:eeew:

We live out in the country and the 2 dogs next door run free and the world is their toilet! Not to mention the dozens of cats. We always take bags when we walk. I mean, come on, how hard is it???

Luvmypitgirls
April 1st, 2009, 10:37 AM
Just the other day the lady across the street from me let her lil dog take a crap right at the end of the walk to my house (where my walk and the city sidewalk meet).
This is the second time in three weeks:frustrated:

I went and picked it up with one of my poop bags, waited for her to leave for work and took the baggie over to her house. I was going to hang it from her doorknob, but then I thought, hell we are in a reccession, I can't afford to waste a doggy poo bag on her dog, so I dumped the poo directly infront of her door.

Btw, when she gets home from work it's dark out and she rarely uses her porch light....:evil:

I always take bags with me, there is no excuse to leave dog poop laying around. I get so frustrated because I have a neighbor with cats who have killed my front flowerbeds using them as litter boxes, and several people who have allowed their dogs to defecate on my yard and walk away.
It just adds to the insult when it's one of your direct neighbors.:frustrated:

claw
April 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
I don't live in a city, but i often go visit my boyfriend in Winnipeg. When we walk down the sidewalk from his house to go catch a bus i always have to watch where i step because people don't pick up their doggy's doo. :frustrated:

cassblonde
April 1st, 2009, 12:59 PM
Of course this goes both ways - sometimes the owners that ~are~ picking up get yelled at(although I have some sympathy for both parties in the following story).

A friend of mine warned me about one house when my dog stopped to poo, I didn't see the owner come to her door to give me the evil eye but I heard her door open. I picked up everything(I always do) so it's like she never even went there. I guess one day a few weeks ago my friend was walking her dog along the same street and her dog stopped to go, my friend was waiting for her dog to finish so she could pick it up and the lady came right out onto her front step to yell at her "You'd better pick that up!!!" I felt this was over doing it because if the lady had looked she would have seen the bag at the ready on my friend's other hand.

I understand the homeowners frustration because clearly this is a hot button issue for her but I also understand my friend's frustration because she always picks up after her dog. It really was a no-win situation. My friend picked up the waste and went on her way but she wasn't pleased about being attacked for no reason.

I pick up no matter what and thankfully my dog normally goes on grass so it's super easy to clear up. I even pick up when she goes in the vacant lot that we use as an off leash part of our walk.

At this point I can't say what makes me angrier when on a walk - the piles of poo or the broken glass. Probably the glass since my dog won't get hurt by stepping in poo. /sigh/ Why is it that individuals feel that there is nothing more fun than smashing a beer bottle right on a paved public pathway? I worry about my dog and my kids stepping on a piece of glass and getting cut ...

Joeyjoejoe
April 1st, 2009, 11:48 PM
I hate lazy dog owners.

I live in a pet friendly condo. We even have a mini gated dog park for dogs to go do their business. There is even a disposal unit right there with free bags. BUT every day I walk by and see dog poo just laying on the grass!

Joeyjoejoe
April 1st, 2009, 11:57 PM
Oh and some super lazy owner who lives above me (don't know how many floors), is too lazy to even bring the dog down to the mini dog park. My balcony railings kinda wrap around the balcony floor, so if you drop something close to the edge, it will fall into the balcony of the neighbor below. So somebody is letting their dog go on their balcony and not cleaning it up! I occasionally get dried up poo pellets on my balcony. It's probably a small dog, looks similar in size and shape of when I had a pom...

Bailey_
April 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM

Seriously? BARF!

coppperbelle
April 2nd, 2009, 05:41 AM
A few years ago my MIL lived in an apartment building. Directly above her there was a couple with a large GSD. Instead of walking the dog they allowed her to pee on the balcony. Since it was an older building the pee would of course drip onto my MIL balcony.

I know this comment isn't going to be popular but I am sick of the cats in my neighborhood pooping in my garden and elsewhere. Cats should not be allowed to roam as they are a nuisance. In the spring my neighborhood is taken over by cats, probably because someone in the area hasn't spayed their cat. Not only do I find their poop in my garden but on my lawn and my dogs take great joy in rolling in it. I often see cats sleeping on my lawn furniture too.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
April 2nd, 2009, 08:22 AM
I know this comment isn't going to be popular but I am sick of the cats in my neighborhood pooping in my garden and elsewhere. Cats should not be allowed to roam as they are a nuisance. In the spring my neighborhood is taken over by cats, probably because someone in the area hasn't spayed their cat. Not only do I find their poop in my garden but on my lawn and my dogs take great joy in rolling in it. I often see cats sleeping on my lawn furniture too.

Amen. Letting a cat roam is just as irresponsible as letting a dog roam. The birds in the yard shouldn't have to be predated by domestic animals and my grandmother shouldn't have to be forced to clean up after them :mad: And the cats shouldn't suffer themselves and get killed by cars, predators, etc, and then have an "owner" turn around and put blame on everyone/everything but themselves.

Margo Kram
April 2nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
but then I thought, hell we are in a reccession, I can't afford to waste a doggy poo bag on her dog, so I dumped the poo directly infront of her door.

:thumbs up

But does that mean you're recycling poop bags?:)

Spring thaws the worst for poop mines on the sidewalk. I don't know why people think it's okay to not pick up after their dogs in the winter just becuase theres' some snow on the ground.

Scuba
April 2nd, 2009, 11:03 AM
Luvmypitgirls - I have seen heavy duty nylon cloth bags that you can reuse!:D Got to wash them out and sanitize as well after each use though.:eek:

I use biodegradable bags myself, haven't made the jump yet to the extreme reusable bags. But I get where you are coming from, often times I will hold off on tying a bag by just twisting the top over just in case the dog decides to deposit another pile. I have encountered quite a few dogs that like to poo here, there and every where.:loser:

The worst thing lately is that I have noticed a lot of dog poo that is not being picked up around the Vancouver SPCA. It is not the volunteers or staff, rather people who live in the neighborhood (not all of them just some). That and also people who bring their dogs to a few of the parks in the area. However, if this becomes an issue, I know who is going to get the blame.:sad:

Chris21711
April 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
A friend of mine who lives in town, her property is the continuation of town property that is heavily wooded.

People sometimes continue walking their dogs into their property, which is fine by them as long as it is respected...A couple of weeks ago they encountered a man walking his GSD while they were in the woods themselves...They explained that it was not town property but privately owned and that they had no problem as long he respected that any business done by his dog be diligently removed.......Here is the Boner......"I don't believe in picking up, I consider it fertilizer" :eek:

kiara
April 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
I can relate to this rant. We do have many uncivilized dog owners here too. We went for a walk in a park, close to an apartment complex and of course all the dog ornaments spoiled our walk. We are not dog owners at this time, but we love dogs, don't understand why people don't pick up after them, or let them run loose? All this is against the law. Don't pick up after his dog. Next time you see this guy, just follow him, get his address and if you have a cell phone on you, call the police. Unless he lives in an apartment building, you don't know what apt. number it is.