Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Still eating Poopcicles!

solo-nicolas
March 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Sorry in advance for this gross post!

Solo is just about to turn two and he still eats Poopcicles!! (Frozen poop). He won't touch it unless it's frozen though. He also has a preference for his own, but won't always discriminate against foreign poop either.

I get out to clean up as often as I can, but it's not always a perfectly clean lawn during winter!

He's fed 3 cups a day of Acana Grasslands. Morning, Lunch, Dinner.
But he's also a Lab with a voracious appetite.

Has anyone else had similar problems? When did your pooch grow out of this nasty habit?

Thank goodness spring is near!

wolfgirl333
March 4th, 2009, 03:24 PM
LOL It is a very bad and gross habit some dogs seem to have. All of ours seem to have a thing for our horse poop and one in particular (the lab x bouvier des flandres.. must be in the breed lol) developed a thing for chicken poo aswell... very gross.. although mine enjoy it all year round although, like yours, frozen ones appeal greater, probably because of its easiness to bring anywhere lol (their favs tho are horse hooves, lol its crazy when the farrier comes here)

I can't say much about dog poo though ... have you tried giving him something to distract him like bones or raw hides for exemple?

He might also need more then 3 cups of food a day considering he look like a big fellow... my puppy's no more then 2 months of age and he already eats 2 cups a day. unless you meant your feeding him 3 cup of food 3 times a day then Id go with the distraction thing when you put him outside lol

Hope this helps a little.

BusterBoo
March 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Welcome to the Club!!! Buster loves his poopsicles and I am quite worried that they may turn into summer time treats as well. :yuck:

I have heard that putting pineapple juice on the kibble will help stop the poop eating but haven't tried it (yet...)

The only sure solution is to scoop the poop right away. I keep Buster on a 25 ft leash even though my yard is all fenced. That way, he is pooping only in a small area, makes clean ups easier.

btw.....Buster will be 3 yrs old in April....and he just started this nasty habit this winter. :yell:

solo-nicolas
March 5th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks for your sympathies and recommendations. I'll give some of them a try!:thumbs up

Luvmypitgirls
March 5th, 2009, 03:37 PM
LMAO @poopcicles:laughing: I have the same issue, and I tried to distract them with toys and treats to no avail, now I've gotten into the habit of going outside with them and telling them NO whenever they appear to be ready to nibble on a poopcicle. I try to clean up right after they go, but sometimes, it's just not do-able:yuck:

solo-nicolas
March 5th, 2009, 03:46 PM
:lightbulb:
Poopcicles™

Josh83
March 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
My previous dog use to eat that as well I think it's just dogs being dogs. But it is probably a good idea to try and avoid as there is alot of bacteria and viruses that are spread in feces.

Make sure your dog is up to date with it's shots. I am no Vet. but i think Parvo virus is something to worry about with your dog eating feces especially is he is a puppy it can be fatal.

wolfgirl333
March 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Hello solo-nicolas,

How is it going with your Solo and his habit of poopsicle eating lol
Any improvements yet?

Also, I read many posts about poop eating lol and maybe it might be a food deficiency so he might not get all the nutrients he needs in the food you are feeding him so maybe change the food or give him extra nutrients.

Hope his habit goes away soon cuz like Josh83 said many dog diseases are transmitted through feces and can be very dangerous for your dog, especially parvo since it's such a hard virus to get rid of since it can stay in the environment for up to 6 months even with using the most powerful disinfectant.

Best of luck to both of you!