Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

mechanics

TacoGrl
March 4th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Ok...where to start....:frustrated:

I used to be a Service Advisor at a couple of dealerships and I left the industry for moral issues (I could not check my morals at the door). Now, I am back to being a customer (different dealership of course), but I am so leary of EVERYTHING the advisors tell me and I notice EVERYTHING they try to pull! I find myself being short with them...yes, being one of those customers. I know the phrases...I know how the techs check history and upsell before even pulling the vehicle in...I know how to weasle out of warranty work in favour of better paying customer pay...I plain don't trust them.

Does everyone feel this way or is it just me being paranoid? :shrug:

My truck is in the shop today, hence the :frustrated: and I received a call from the nim-rod "taking care" of it wanting to do stuff that has already been done less than 10k ago! He was talking to me like I was an idiot...they all seem to..do guys get spoken to like that? I used to talk to everyone the same...again, I don't know if I am just being paranoid. :rolleyes:

has anyone had some good experiences they would like ot share?

SIL
March 4th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Tacogrl...you aren't paranoid. I feel the same way, most of the dealerships want to take your money before you even walk in the door!!! We had a problem with our van and were told that it wasn't under warranty by the service rep. We had no choice but to change the part and pay the big $$$. My husband emailed the manager and a few days later we were told that they had received 'recall letters' and the part that they had changed in our van was actually covered. I still don't believe the 'recall letter' and never actually saw it but we did get our money back :D

Now that our vehicles are older we take them to a mechanic that runs his own shop and doesn't try to gouge you. :thumbs up

14+kitties
March 4th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Oh, so not a good time to talk about dealerships! Sunday I was pulling out of my parking spot at Costco and had stopped to turn my wheel so I could continue up my lane. (not a great way to describe it but hopefully you know what I mean.)The dork in the spot behind me pulled out and smucked the back of my car! :frustrated: Yes, he knew he did it. He got out of his vehicle and said sorry about that. He hit the light, broke it, put a small dent in the truck. Yeah, doesn't look like much damage, right? This is a 2005 Sunfire with only 62000k on it. Not an expensive car by any means but one I love and baby. The light that needs replaced runs the whole length of the trunk.
It's a parking lot incident. IF I had been sitting still with the motor not running he would have been at fault. Seeing as I was backing up and he started pulling out of the spot opposite me it's 50/50. No going through insurance.
Soooooo, start phoning around to look for replacement parts. Dealership - $1600, another used dealership - $1200! :eek: No way!! Highway robbery! This is just for the light. Thankfully hubby can do the work himself. We phoned around and finally managed to find one in Aurora for $400 at a scrap yard. :frustrated: Not a happy camper!!!

Sorry for long story. It's disgusting the amount they charge for parts like this!!

aslan
March 4th, 2009, 04:12 PM
14+ did you try Standard Auto wreckers in Scarb? It's a pick it yourself yard, there is one in oakville too, they are cheaper if you pull them yourself.

TacoGrl
March 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM
We have Pick 'N Pull here too...used to be Pick Your Part...they charge now to get in and wander around...good prices though and just like Safeway, you come out with a bag full when you went for a mirror! :D

Scuba
March 4th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Luckily for me I don't drive that much, actually don't even have my own car at the moment. However I do understand where you are coming from. Dealerships are the worst in my opinion (personal experience, yours may vary).

Even with my bicycles I get this done to me. Lots of local bicycle shops want to sell me what they have in stock, doesn't matter if it wasn't the part I want or need. Often time they will even try to go into the "technical jargon" to try and confuse me and try to get me to purchase parts or services that I don't require. One LBS try to sell some new old stock (stuff that has been sitting around forever) at brand new prices. Some of it wasn't even in great condition even though it had never been used. Just from them moving it around and the parts banging into each other. There were some really deep scratches and dings in some rims. When I pointed it out to them, they said "Oh, that is OK, won't affect it.". I don't think so buddy! Hence I don't go to that shop anymore unless it is for something very specific.

I still remember my first time taking my bicycle in to get a "tune up" and how little work was actually done for my money. At least now I can do a lot of the minor repairs myself. Also too bad there are no non-profit car repair places. The bicycle shop that I frequent now is a cooperative and education is their main goal. Also their prices are very reasonable if you don't want to get your hands dirty yourself.

14+kitties
March 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
14+ did you try Standard Auto wreckers in Scarb? It's a pick it yourself yard, there is one in oakville too, they are cheaper if you pull them yourself.

Umm, who's talking? :rolleyes: Haven't heard this "voice" for a while. :D Where you been hiding stranger?
I will mention it to hubby. I don't know if he wants to run all over the country looking for parts. He is starting to get really busy. Let's see if he called them.
Thanks for the help!! :thumbs up

TacoGrl
March 4th, 2009, 09:13 PM
So, I picked my truck up...not sure if the problem still exists because this noisy train seemed to follow me home! I will go for a drive later.

I am dealing with the Shop Foreman/Asst Manager now...he is great...he seems to be very good at dealing with "special" people such as myself :laughing: but the best part is that he doesn't "dumb it down" when he talks to me...he even admitted he is not sure if the truck is fixed because he was tired/frustrated from chasing ghosts all day he knows are there-he has witnessed them-he fixed a couple of things he thought of from past experience, but he's still not sure (I felt sorry for him-I know how it is sometimes)...far cry from the advisor who who shoved it off as NFF (no fault found) because it was warranty :rolleyes:

However...in the back of my mind I can't help but think I have been "handled" so I don't turn in a bad CSI survey...a little knowledge sure does play with the mind sometimes. :sad:

kiara
March 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
We had a bad and dangerous experience with a dealership in Montreal, first time in our lives! I have to explain this story. My elderly father who is 86 and has beginning of Alzheimer's lost his driving permit, so we took away his car. We went away for vacation and I get a call from a lady in his condo that he got a brand new car. The dealership was able to get a licence plate and insurance and he was able to drive it home. We ended up with a huge problem, since he would not give us the keys we had to call the police to stop him. They were not able to "catch" him on the road and he was driving for three weeks and could have killed or maimed someone. After many frantic phone calls to the police, they finally went to his condo and took the keys away. Apparently here in Quebec no laws were broken??????, you can still buy a car without a valid driver's licence, (probably as a gift). We went to the dealership and they told us that no laws were broken. Something is wrong with this industry, that no one checked for his permit. Even the license bureau told us that no laws were broken. I think the dealership has a moral obligation to check and not only think of the money he will be making. My dad bought the car for cash, so maybe that had something to do with it. Our laws need to become more strict to protect the public from this happening again.

TacoGrl
March 5th, 2009, 01:53 PM
We had a bad and dangerous experience with a dealership in Montreal, first time in our lives! I have to explain this story. My elderly father who is 86 and has beginning of Alzheimer's lost his driving permit, so we took away his car. We went away for vacation and I get a call from a lady in his condo that he got a brand new car. The dealership was able to get a licence plate and insurance and he was able to drive it home. We ended up with a huge problem, since he would not give us the keys we had to call the police to stop him. They were not able to "catch" him on the road and he was driving for three weeks and could have killed or maimed someone. After many frantic phone calls to the police, they finally went to his condo and took the keys away. Apparently here in Quebec no laws were broken??????, you can still buy a car without a valid driver's licence, (probably as a gift). We went to the dealership and they told us that no laws were broken. Something is wrong with this industry, that no one checked for his permit. Even the license bureau told us that no laws were broken. I think the dealership has a moral obligation to check and not only think of the money he will be making. My dad bought the car for cash, so maybe that had something to do with it. Our laws need to become more strict to protect the public from this happening again.

That is wierd cuz normally, even to go for a road test, you need to provide ID...every vehicle I have ever bought, they have photocopied my license to prove I am who I say I am...perhaps him paying cash did have something to do with it...

JennieV
March 5th, 2009, 01:56 PM
:frustrated: I dont think that I trust anyone in the industry. Not even the private garages.
My husband was recently hired by this auto parts distributor, that sells parts ot the garage..Well, the first thing he looked up was our front bumper, that is cracked (by a snow removal dude, that kinda didn't notice it) and we got quoted $900 to fix it. Guess how much that bumper costs to the garage? yep..the whole 93$ +tax. Would you trust them again?

Anyhow, I have a long and painful history with garages and dealerships, theres always hidden agendas and its not fair, but what are you gonna do? How are you gonna prove it? Unless you are right there and know the terminology and know the costs and all that, which the average person doesn't.

SUCKS! :yell: