Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray kitty

chico2
March 4th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I have already talked to 14+about this kitty that comes around here...I thought he had a home,but seeing him today,the shape he is in,I doubt it:sad:
He/she is a longhaired,grey/white cat,cleaned up he would be really beautiful.
He is matted,has something wrong with his eye:sad:

I've seen him for a couple of months off and on,but today I got a good look at him,before he bolted over the fence and in to my front-yard.
I went in and got a bowl of food,calling him,but again he bolted right across our busy street,I cried,thought for sure he got run over,but he made it.

I left the food on the side of the house,he will eventually come back.
I will talk to HS,see if anyone is missing this once beautiful cat,hopefully they will lend me a trap(they did years ago)but I am worried they will euthanize him/her.
He survived this very cold winter,maybe he has an owner who just does not care???
I don't know,I just know I cannot get this kitty out of my head:sad:
No,I cannot take him in my house,Rocky would kill me:evil:

Love4himies
March 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Even if he is owned, they are being very neglectful and don't deserve this kitty. Can you take him to a no kill shelter? It has been my experience that long haired kitties tend to get adopted quite quickly.

krdahmer
March 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM
If the HS won't lend you one, I have one here you could borrow Chico.... hubby works up there kinda (not by you, but I have to drop him off right by the airport) so we could meet somewhere to drop it off and pick it up.

And I know exactly why you can't get him out of your head, the same reason the one I saw roaming the grass at the side of the 420 is still in my head a week after pulling over and trying to get it. (It was pretty skittery, and right in the right area to be one of my ferals from the old crappy apartment area...looked just like little momma, but a little bigger, prob. one of her kittens. Hubby of course was sweet and patient and drove along the shoulder with the four-ways on so I could walk along and try to get closer to the poor thing.):sad: It happens every time I see a cat (or dog) that looks like it's in danger or not being cared for.... they haunt me for weeks, and even after time has passed I never forget..... I still say a prayer everytime I pass a certain spot on the highway where I saw an orange cat that had been hit and killed, and that was 10 years ago. I just want them to know that even if the rest of the world never noticed them, and never cared that they were gone, never felt their loss... I did. :cry:

:grouphug: keep your spirits up and just keep talking to him sweetly, if he's been out for some time it'll take a while before he stops bolting, but it helps if he sees you leave the food. I'm sure between all of us here we can come up with something if the HS won't help.... have you tried getting a pic of him yet? Maybe someone is missing him, you never know. :goodvibes: & :pray: that he stays safe and healthy! And big :2huggers: for your big heart!

Chris21711
March 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Chico, so kind of you to worry about this poor soul.

As far as I know Hamilton is no-kill, but have also heard that they can be not so humane, that they pick and choose who they take in and may send you to the other part of the building, which is Animal Control and then who knows :shrug:

The THS is definately 'no-kill' and I'm pretty sure they would take the kitty and treat him/her. I know it is a bit of a drive for you though. Thanks for caring :grouphug:

14+kitties
March 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Yep, I second kr's thoughts. However, if you can't get him into a HS or no kill and can't find his owners (although it sounds like if he has them they don't deserve him) then you know where he can come.
Do you have a carrier for him once you get him chico? If not kr maybe can stop by on her way to meet you and I can give her one of mine. If he ends up coming out here anyway it isn't a biggie. I wouldn't have to worry about returning it. :D
Let me know........

krdahmer
March 4th, 2009, 11:42 AM
See... Kitty Rescue Brigade at the ready! ;) :laughing:

Chris21711
March 4th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Yous guys are great :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 4th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Sounds like the little guy's fortunes are about to change! :fingerscr I hope this all works out for him. chico, kr and 14+, you're :angel:s for caring about this kitty.

NoahGrey
March 4th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I will talk to HS,see if anyone is missing this once beautiful cat,hopefully they will lend me a trap(they did years ago)but I am worried they will euthanize him/her.

Oakville and District Humane Society is a great great shelter. I know some of the Officers there and know how they run. They do not euth for cage space. They only euth animals that are extremely sick (to the point that they will not recover) animals that are injured, and agressive animals. Every animal that goes through their doors, they go beyond for everyone. Domestic or Wildlife. They even give feral cats a chance. And from what I hear, alot of the ferals have come around. They also deal with Toronto Wildlife center ALOT, Owl Foundation as well as other rescues.

I can reasurre you that getting an officer to pick the cat up, you don't have to worry. That cat will have it great temp home, until it gets adopted. I know that they had cats on their adoption room for 2 years, until they got adopted. Pretty impressive. I know that they are never under roughly 200 cats at a time there. I remember talking to an Officer there one day, a few months ago and they had over 450 cats. That just says how much they care.

I do know that they lend out traps for cats and wildlife. Give them a call.

Happy to hear that you have a good shelter in your city. I've seen some bad ones...city and non-profit.

ACO22

chico2
March 4th, 2009, 04:45 PM
ACO,I too am very familiar with the Oakville HS and they are great,I've dealt with them quiet a lot.:thumbs upACO,everyone I've dealt with there in the past are wonderful caring people,you are right!

Dahmer,14+,you are just great,thank you:grouphug:
I talked at lenght to Oakville HS and they are bringing me a cat-trap,she checked their"lost"file,but there are so many she will continue checking.
They are a no-kill shelter,except for in extreem circumstances like if a cat is severely wounded,or has an untreatable disease and is suffering.

I told her I have another option,through friends,but she said,we are in the business of rescuing animals and he/she will be ok,if I manage to catch him:fingerscr
She was very concerned with his eye-injury,but I could really not say much,I was facing him for only a couple of seconds,his one eye was half-way closed:sad:
What is the best food to put in a trap,Tuna???
I probably will not be getting the trap before tomorrow...

14+kitties
March 4th, 2009, 04:49 PM
That is so great the they are going to help! I wonder in a few months once the kittens are being dumped if the answer will always be the same.
Tuna, sardines, anything smelly. Just be aware that if the kitty has at some time been trapped before he may not fall for it. If neither of them work then you can try catnip. The stronger the better.
If there is a chance, once he is caught, that they will euthanize because of his eye injury then he comes out here, right? I am not going to see a cat put down because he has a bad eye.
Got lots of :pray::goodvibes::fingerscr coming your way!!!

chico2
March 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Dahmer,I know how you must have felt about this cat..a couple of years ago somewhere in Virginia US,we stopped for a sleep at a hotel.
There I saw a little black kitten,meowing looking for food,I got him some and tried to catch him,to no avail,he was too wild..
I was totally distraught,could not sleep nor eat,knowing this little baby was out there.I tried again in the morning,gave him my breakfast,but he would not let me take him.....I was totally miserable the whole trip down to SC.
Kept hearing his little desperate meows in m head.
I did tell the hotel-people to call ASPCA to have him caught,don't know if they did or not.

chico2
March 4th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Thank's 14+.I'll make sure to let them know,but he seems otherwise ok,he can certainly move fast.
First though he has to let himself be caught,several years ago i fed a stray(george)twice/day and when he was hurt,got a trap from HS,but he was too darn smart to get caught.
Hopefully this little guy is not as smart:fingerscr

hazelrunpack
March 4th, 2009, 08:46 PM
:goodvibes: for your trapping efforts!

chico2
March 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM
14+,the HS were concerned about his eye-injury,not because they might euthanize him,but because if he is injured he will be a priority for a trap.

14+kitties
March 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM
14+,the HS were concerned about his eye-injury,not because they might euthanize him,but because if he is injured he will be a priority for a trap.

That's good! I know where I am from the idiots that ran the "shelter" (don't know if they are still there or not) wouldn't even bother coming out. They would make you go to them if they had a trap available. Probably would charge you to have it too. If you told them the cat was injured they may decide to come out with a gun. :sad: Useless! :frustrated: It's refreshing to see an HS with compassion.

Good luck!!!! :fingerscr

chico2
March 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
14+,the trap is here,I put a dish with tuna and lots of juice in it,so hope he comes around:fingerscr:fingerscr
The girl was very nice,stayed here quiet a while and we talked a lot,I've met her before.
They do not kill any animal,not even feral cats,everyone gets a chance at rehab.
I knew that from before,but it was good to be reassured.
I had to put a $100 deposit,but that's just in case I lose the cage or something like that,I get the money back when they pick up the trap again.
I have it for a week for now,can keep it longer if I need to:thumbs up
I was told to take it inside at night,since the risk of catching a Skunk,Raccoon or anything else is greater at night.
This kitty has been around in the daytime a lot.
So,:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscrhe'll let himself be caught:fingerscr
Thank you very much for yours and Dahmers offer to help:grouphug:

Chris21711
March 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Good Luck in your quest Chico, again, thanks for caring.

chico2
March 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Chris,of course I care,I just regret not trying it sooner,he's survived this long cold winter,I don't know how..
But like I told 14+,I thought he had a home,until I saw him close up,matted and dirty:cry:
It's hard to tell with cats,so many are letting their cats roam,but this one I am certain is a stray,poor kitty:sad:.

Chris21711
March 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM
That's the trouble Chico, one can never know if a kittie is out and about or a stray. This one, in the condition he/she is in sounds like a stray for sure, if he/she does have an owner, they obviously do not care and YOU do :)

Love4himies
March 5th, 2009, 12:14 PM
GOOD LUCK, CHICO :goodvibes:

Mr/s. Gray Stray, please, please go into the trap, you won't regret it :pray: :pray:.

onster
March 5th, 2009, 02:27 PM
aww chico ure such a sweetie :grouphug:

best of luck! I hope kitty goes right into the trap :goodvibes:

chico2
March 5th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Thank's everyone no luck today,but I've got time...
"Come on pretty kitty,we'll help you,give you a warm place to sleep,make you all clean and beautiful again and hopefully get you a home of your own,please,please:pray:"

onster
March 5th, 2009, 05:25 PM
did he come around and just not go in the trap or u didnt see him at all?

chico2
March 5th, 2009, 05:29 PM
No,I did not see him today,he's not here every day.
I am just about to bring the trap inside,but I'll leave the Tuna out there,if he comes and eats it,maybe he'll be back for more tomorrow:fingerscrbut in the trap:fingerscr

hazelrunpack
March 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Rats! I was hoping you'd catch him today :o

:fingerscr for tomorrow, chico! Hopefully the tuna will draw him in! :goodvibes:

14+kitties
March 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM
It could take quite some time to catch him. Especially if he knows what the trap is. If just sitting it out doesn't work you can try disguising it by covering it with a blanket or tree branches, etc. It is supposed to rain this weekend. Hopefully he has a warm, dry place to hide out. :sad: I have lots of :fingerscr going on here too!

happycats
March 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Awwwww Chico your an :angel: this kitty is lucky to have you, and I hope you can catch him/her soon! :fingerscr

Love4himies
March 6th, 2009, 08:09 AM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::fingerscr:fingerscr for today being the day.

14+kitties
March 6th, 2009, 08:26 AM
:pray: Add my :goodvibes::fingerscr too!!

chico2
March 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Well,the tuna is gone,since I left it outside at night,but that could have been from any animal around here.
We have the cage back out again,put it out at 6:30am.
So it's better if I cover it??
I was planning on doing that anyway,if it rains,but was afraid it would scare him more:confused:
I am not giving up any time soon,I have it for a week,but can keep it for as long as it takes,unless HS runs out and really needs it,for a wounded animal.

krdahmer
March 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM
What worked when we were trying to get George was that the trap was sticking and not working for a few days, so he would get the food and get out fine, so he trusted it... then I fixed it and wala! that night we caught him. I would try riggin it open for a couple of days (and cover it-we did too I had a towel/garbage bag combo over it to keep out rain) then on day three fix it so it works again. Also cats like that tend to come very early mornings/late in the evening so you may have to try leaving it over night and check on it a few times throughout.

:goodvibes: that you are able to nab him soon!

MOOSEDRY
March 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM
bless you, chico, for trying to help this kitty. i've been reading the posts and praying for a good outcome!

take care.
tracy :lovestruck:

lUvMyLaB<3
March 6th, 2009, 02:42 PM
here kitty kitty! in the trap pleeeease! ohhhhh I hope you get him!! I cannot wait to hear good news!! oh it would be so nice to get him warm and clean and a full belly and a cozy couch the bask in the sun on top of! he deserves it after what he is going through!! Oh PLEEEAASE KITTY!!! Good luck! you are so awesome for caring for this guy! YAY YOU!!!!

chico2
March 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Dahmer,I've seen him a lot any time of the day,the last time he was here was around 10am.
I was told not to leave it out at night,cause we have Possums,Raccoons,Skunks etc..and if we get a skunk we have to get him out ourselves:yell:
Hubby put it out this morning at 7:30,I'll get it out earlier tomorrow and leave it a little later tonight.
OMG,I would be sooooooo happy if I caught him:pray::fingerscr

14+kitties
March 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Mmm, feel like getting up early in the morning for the next couple of days? :rolleyes: If he comes around during the day you are probably ok with it only being set then. You probably have some other nocturnal visits at night. You've said before there are coons around, right? If you could leave it out until around 10 PM and then bring it in you might get him then. He may feel more comfortable.
Covering the trap may make the kitty feel a bit more secure. If it does not look like a trap he may be more likely to go in. I used an old blanket a few times when I left it out.
This is only the second day you have had the trap. I have a feeling you will catch him. :fingerscr

Hate to ask but is there any possibility that this cat is female and is nursing a litter? I know you have seen him/her so will know.

chico2
March 6th, 2009, 05:08 PM
WOW,14+,I have not even thought of that,but there is no way to find out,other than checking her teats,it would be terrible if she had babies somewhere:sad:then I would have to let her go:sad:
I just have a feeling it's a male,don't know why,but I hope he is:fingerscr

Now we have covered the cage and put it in the hedge,with the front sticking out,he probably would not see it's a cage,he always walks along my hedge.
Thank's for all the suggestion,I am kind of new to this..
We'll leave it out until about 10pm,if I get a Skunk,I'll call you or Dahmer:laughing::laughing:

14+kitties
March 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM
WOW,14+,I have not even thought of that,but there is no way to find out,other than checking her teats,it would be terrible if she had babies somewhere:sad:then I would have to let her go:sad:
I just have a feeling it's a male,don't know why,but I hope he is:fingerscr

:sad: I'm sorry to even have to mention it. I am really hoping you are right. You would probably have noticed a bigger belly before now. It is probably a male or a fixed female.

Now we have covered the cage and put it in the hedge,with the front sticking out,he probably would not see it's a cage,he always walks along my hedge.
Thank's for all the suggestion,I am kind of new to this..
We'll leave it out until about 10pm,if I get a Skunk,I'll call you or Dahmer:laughing::laughing:

:thumbs up You got it!! I'm closer so I guess I win. :rolleyes: Now it's just patience.

chico2
March 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah,he's been around for about 2 months,all that time I thought he had a home and I think he's pretty skinny under all that fur:sad:

14+kitties
March 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM
:2huggers: You'll get him. I have complete faith in you! If you have to give the trap back before you get him I will see if I can bring mine to you. Well, actually it's my neighbours. He hasn't asked for it back yet though. :D One of these days I have to get my own.

chico2
March 6th, 2009, 05:23 PM
14+.I really don't think there is a time-limit,I signed up for a week,but can keep it longer.
Thank's for the offer:cat:you're a sweetie as usual..

Love4himies
March 7th, 2009, 07:40 AM
:pray::pray::fingerscr:fingerscr I hope you got him/her last night, chico

chico2
March 7th, 2009, 09:49 AM
If I did,you would already know,I would not sleep a wink,so no,I did not:sad:
I went out a little past 11pm to take the trap away,my stupid new neighbors had their little white longhaired beauty outside,she was in my front-yard:yell:

I talked to them,telling them I was not trying to catch their cat,but a stray and that I hoped they are not letting their beautiful cat roam outside:yell:
I put the food back out,but what's the use,if she eats it:sad:
Last I saw her,she was sitting on their front-porch,so hopefully they let her in,but the dish was empty this morning,I hope my poor little guy ate it.

They moved in last weekend and already they let the cat out :yell:

I put the alarm for 5am last night,went out with a flash-light,a can of stinky food,wearing my house-coat:laughing:putting the trap back..

14+kitties
March 7th, 2009, 10:01 AM
People will never learn until it is too late to keep their cats inside. Especially if they live near a busy road! :wall: :fingerscr the new neighbours listen to you but I doubt it. If they already let it out the first week...... Maybe if you catch it "by accident" it can disappear........ :rolleyes:

Another trick you could try chico, is to put a little line of food or the juices from the can of food on the ground leading into the trap. I caught Little Momma that way after trying for two years. I used tuna and put little pieces of it along the way. I also started with the food close to the edge of the cage and gradually moved it further back in. She got confident that is was safe. It took four days to do it.

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Darn! I was hoping you'd caught the little fella.

Good luck for today! :goodvibes: :fingerscr

At least the weather is getting warmer. Maybe kitty can start fattening up a bit if he's not so busy trying to keep warm.

chico2
March 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
That's a great idea 14+:thumbs upwill do that:cat:

You know how busy my street is,they are just playing with this kitties life and greatly chance losing her,if I did not know who she belonged to,I'd scoop her up in a heartbeat,she's stunning...of course I could not keep her:sad:

I :pray:my poor little guy is still around:fingerscr

14+kitties
March 7th, 2009, 10:18 AM
:laughing: I'm full of them!! Ideas that is. Or full of it. Not sure which. :rolleyes: :laughing:

krdahmer
March 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM
:laughing::laughing: We had to let out a different cat, 2 racoons and I got a frantic call about a skunk one morning too, they were so scared of it the poor thing sat in the trap for like 10 hours :frustrated: I rushed over and it was out in like 5 seconds with no problem. Just aim the trap away from you, keep it covered, hold your breath:rolleyes: and open the door... I pointed it at the bushes and the little guy just waddled out and under a bush... he was so docile. The racoons on the other hand, well that was why the trap was busted for a few days, the one momma racoon rolled the trap halfway across the yard tryin to get out:eek:. But all that adventure was worth it, when the one trapped was finally George! :thumbs up

I used the food along the ground too. :fingerscr that does the trick.... here kitty kitty... go to Chico... she's gonna help ya out! :goodvibes:

Oh and you should give those neighbours a good swift kick in the pants! How anyone living on your street could let a pet out unsupervised is beyond me!:wall: :frustrated:

chico2
March 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I had a call from HS,they just wanted to ask me if I've seen the kitty and not to leave the trap out at night.
She said trapped cats freak out,understandably and they've seen many injuries,because of it:sad:
She also told me,they are available 24/7 which is great,they are such nice people..

Right now it's raining buckets,the trap is ciovered,but a puddle is forming,so tomorrow we'll have to put a board under it...
My new neighbors,I am not a snob,but they look just like they cam from the Virginia Mountain-area:laughing:and there are several people living there:yell:

Shaykeija
March 7th, 2009, 04:58 PM
OMG the Hillbilly's moved in....:laughing:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee169/princesscougar/HILLBILLIES-3.jpg

Good luck catching this pussy cat.

chico2
March 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Shaykeija...:laughing::laughing:I don't really care who they are,just wish they would keep their beautiful kitty inside:yell:
When I went in to tell them I am trapping a stray,I saw about 6 heads at the door:laughing:

chico2
March 8th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Well,last night I had a female Raccoon in the trap,OMG did she cause a racket,but she flew out once we got the cage opened.
I also saw the white cat next door eating the food:yell:
This afternoon,the new neighbors second cat,a beautiful Tortie,was in the trap,had eaten all the food.
I feel like I am feeding theirs cats every day:yell:
Hubby said,Lets bring her to Gerri,yeah sure,as if I would do that,
So no stray kitty,I think about him all the time,I soooo want to save him.
I moved the trap to the other side of the house,hopefully it's safe from their cats there.:frustrated:

These people said they don't let their cats outside,well,they lied!!!

14+kitties
March 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Yeah, sounds like they don't deserve their cats. :frustrated: It is not going to help you with your quest to catch that other kitty who needs help if their cats are outside all the time. They will probably scare it away. :sad: Not to mention their cats won't be alive very long! What a bunch of :loser:s.
I just got finished telling hubby I will have to take one crate out of the catty house and put it in the garage so I can keep the new one in till I get him checked. I could always bring out two crates. :D:rolleyes:

Can you talk to them and see if they would be willing to at least keep theirs in the house until the other one is caught?

Chris21711
March 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
At least you are keeping the neighbourhood well fed Chico :frustrated: Maybe you could try and get the new neighbours on board with you in trying to trap the little 'stray'.

so I can keep the new one in till I get him ?

New One - MAAACCKK - where did this little guy/girl come from?

14+kitties
March 8th, 2009, 06:08 PM
New One - MAAACCKK - where did this little guy/girl come from?

Don't want to threadjack chico's thread Chris so...
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=61310

NoahGrey
March 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Any new news Chico2? Keeping my fingers crossed.

ACO22

chico2
March 11th, 2009, 04:44 PM
No ACO,and I have not even seen him,I used to see him almost every day:sad:,but I have not given up yet.
In the meantime I caught the neighbors white cat this time,makes me sooo mad:yell:
I tried talking to them again,but they say their cats really want to go out,every night..:evil:I hope they are both spayed,but I somehow doubt it. 14+ and Dahmer know how busy our street is,not a place to let cats roam.
I nearly got a Raccoon again,but he scampered off when I went to get the paper.
If I ever catch this little guy and get him some care,I'll be the happiest person.:pray::fingerscr:cat:

glasslass
March 11th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Bless you, Chico, for your efforts to help this kitty. Maybe the suggestion of two traps is a good one. One trap to catch the neighbor's kitty - that'll leave the other trap to catch your intended target. Of course, the stray is probably watching to see what happens to the first one before he touches the second!:o

chico2
March 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I don't think HS would give me a second trap,then I would probably catch both of the neighbors cats and hubby would be very grumpy about the food I am wasting on them.
I wish I would just see him,so I know he's still alive:pray:

14+kitties
March 11th, 2009, 05:18 PM
chico - I am being completely serious when I say this........ If the white kitty gets caught again in your trap let me know. I will come and get him/her. These people really don't deserve to have cats when they live on a busy street like yours and won't keep them safe! It kills me to have to read this stuff all the time. Especially when I couldn't save my sweetie and my road isn't very busy. I can't bear the thought of it happening to another one. :sad:
Or, at the very least, call HS. They don't have to know it's the neighbours cat. Let's see if the neighbour goes looking for it. If they have to claim it from HS and pay to get it back maybe they will learn their lesson and keep it in. That is probably a better idea.

chico2
March 11th, 2009, 05:23 PM
14+They have 2 kitties,the other one I caught is a beautiful little Tortie with a big fluffy tail,the white one is just beautiful....stupid people.
I told HS I caught the neighbors cats,so she would know,I know who's cats they are:sad:
The problem with letting you take her,is my concience,I am a very bad liar and the first one they would ask,would be me.
They'd probably just get another...
It seems they let them out for a few hours when they come home from work,I don't see them in the daytime.

14+kitties
March 11th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Well then, I guess they come out here. Stupid people don't deserve them!
You also have lots of neighbours. It could be one of their cats too. ;)

chico2
March 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM
No,I know all the cats in this neighbor-hood,these 2 belong to the new guys,for sure,
We saw the Tortie in the window one day and the white one is theirs too.
However,I could not do that to you,you certainly have your handsful.
Also,I would not feel right,taking someones cat,unless I found out they are abused,there are quiet a few roaming cats here,but they all have homes,except for my little poor guy,wherever he is:sad:
Thank you for the offer though,it might come to that,who knows??

14+kitties
March 11th, 2009, 05:50 PM
It's too bad letting your cat out to roam on a busy street is not considered abuse. :sad:
Just remember if it ever comes down to it...... I am available.

Love4himies
March 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM
It is too bad. If we were considered their guardians, rather than they our property, then it would be.

onster
March 11th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Sorry you havent had any luck yet chico :sad:

sending tonnes of good vibes and prayers for white kitty to be trapped soon :goodvibes::fingerscr

chico2
March 12th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Onster:Dno,I don't want the white kitty,she's the neighbors cat:laughing:
The cat I want is a gray/white longhaired stray kitty,matted and a sore eye:sad:
Thank's 14+,I know you would always help out,you're the best.

onster
March 12th, 2009, 01:41 PM
oh i know u wanted the matted kitty with the hurt eye but i thought it was white...its white and tabby? sounds beautiful.

Have you seen it around at all?

clm
March 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Maybe someone has taken in the cat you've been trying to catch Chico2. Or maybe it was lost and it's owners have found it. Have you not seen it again today?

Cindy

chico2
March 12th, 2009, 05:08 PM
No,I have not seen him,he is gray/white:sad:cleaned up ,he would be beautiful.I think he's young,but very scared:sad:
Also,he's been around all winter,so I am hoping he'll come back.

I talked to HS and I have the trap for at least another week,she asked me to keep an eye out for a lost black/white kitten DSH,7 months old,it's been really cold at night,hope I find him,or that he goes in my trap:fingerscr.
I am always looking for stray animals,wherever I go,it's just an instinct I guess..

I've seen another,he is black/white,looks really old and beat up,he has huge jowles and is very dirty.
Today as we were walking Bailey,I saw him laying in the sun at a house(I know he does not live there)he is such a sad sight,he brought tears to my eyes.
After I brought Bailey home,I went to give the cat some food,he ran of course,but as I was walking away,he went to the food.
I don't know how rescuers do it,I get so upset seeing a cat in that shape,I can think of nothing else,I hope he makes it here to my house.
I can see how nobody would bother with this big cat,he's not cute,although I think he is,I would love for him to see that not all humans are bad.
After years of not seeing any strays,all of a sudden here they are:sad:

14+kitties
March 12th, 2009, 05:19 PM
The problem just continues to get worse. And will until people wake up and start taking some responsibility for getting their pets s/n. I really hope to see the day when you get a fine if your pet is not fixed. It's just too bloody easy right now to throw your cat and kittens outside and make it someone else's problem.
Chico - you are an absolute angel for caring about the animals in your area like you do. I salute you my friend! :grouphug:

chico2
March 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I think people in the rental townhouses across the street,might leave cats behind when they move:evil:
This old cat though,really got to me,I can feed him when I see him,nothing else I can do...unless he becomes less scared of me,it might take some time.
No I am no angel,if I knew the people who do this to their cats,I would clobber them and end up in jail:yell:

MOOSEDRY
March 16th, 2009, 05:46 AM
hi chico.

i feel the same way. i will never understand how people can hurt or abandon their pets :wall: ! in a perfect world, all pets would have to be spayed or neutered, and people would have to go through intense screening to be allowed to have an animal. it wouldn't eliminate problems like yours entirely, but it would put a dent in those kinds of things happening, i'm sure.

hugs,
tracy

chico2
March 16th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Moosedry,I have not seen either cat again,I was sooo hoping to catch him,but I have not given up yet:fingerscr
Maybe 14+was right,maybe the younger cat had babies and that's why I have not seen it for a couple of weeks.
I don't even know if he is male or female:sad:
All I can do is:pray:I can help these kitties to be safe...

krdahmer
March 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I'm sure they'll both turn up again if you are leaving food out.:grouphug: I know that once I started feeding the strays at the ghetto apartment I lived in I was amazed at how many came out of nowhere it seemed, all so hungry, and all so scared of people, it broke my heart. I really hope the old guy gets back to you... :goodvibes: :pray: for all the little homeless kitties...may they find their way to us, and God willing, we can help as many as possible.

Love4himies
March 16th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Patience. Misty disappeared for 6 weeks, then just wondered back to my deck for a feeding like she had never been gone.

14+kitties
March 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I still have my fingers crossed kitty will show back up soon chico. Maybe there is another kind soul like you that lives nearby who has taken him in. We can only hope. That's all we can hope for. Keep the trap as long as you can. Maybe kitty will show soon.:fingerscr
Have you caught the neighbours kitties again? Normally once you catch them they won't go back in.

chico2
March 17th, 2009, 09:28 AM
HS called again yesterday,a really nice girl,she said if I catch any cat in the trap to call her,but not the neighbors cats:laughing:
This morning there was tons(well,lots)of white and gray hair on my frontporch,must have been some cat-fight.

The white hair is very clean and bright,must be from the neighbors little one,I hope she was not hurt,but maybe that's what it takes for them to keep her inside:confused::fingerscr

Still no sign of "my"boy:sad:

NoahGrey
March 17th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Chico, i just pmed you something.

ACO22

chico2
March 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Talked to the new neighbor,guess what??
They have 3 females,the fluffy white one,the Tortie and another and they all had babies:evil::evil:they have THIRTEEN kittens.
I don't swear but WTF!!!
I was fuming but kept my cool,he said they'll be spayed after this,sure!!!
I asked what they do with the kittens,they sell them...I am sooo upset,cannot see straight right now:yell:
I can see we will have one heck of a summer,with in tact females running around:sad:

14+kitties
March 17th, 2009, 12:22 PM
:wall::wall::wall:
IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I guess if they all have had kittens they will keep them inside to look after them? Or are the kittens old enough they can be on their own for a while so the mommas can go out and risk getting killed on that busy road. :wall:
They need to have the TO low cost s/n telephone number given to them. What are they thinking! And you can bet they won't check out the people who come to pick up kittens. They will just let them go. :loser:s!
My offer stands. If they don't start looking after them better you know where they can come.

Chris21711
March 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Talked to the new neighbor,guess what??
They have 3 females,the fluffy white one,the Tortie and another and they all had babies:evil::evil:they have THIRTEEN kittens.
I don't swear but WTF!!!
I was fuming but kept my cool,he said they'll be spayed after this,sure!!!
I asked what they do with the kittens,they sell them...I am sooo upset,cannot see straight right now:yell:
I can see we will have one heck of a summer,with in tact females running around:sad:

Don't get yourself worked up over it Chico, you will just stress yourself. Lots of people just don't get it and just don't care, we can't change them all sadly :sad:

chico2
March 17th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Chris,I know but it's difficult,the Tortie was outside today,Vinnie saw her and got all excited:evil:
I honestly think they have no plans on spaying either one of the cats,I think they supplement their income by breeding their cats and selling the kittens.:evil:
I wish there was a law protecting cats from being breeding machines!!

chico2
March 18th, 2009, 09:49 AM
HE'S ALIVE!!!
The kitty was in my backyard yesterday around six,I cried,he looks sooo bedraggled and sad,of course when he saw us he jumped the fence:sad:
I put the trap where I usually leave food,but no kitty,kept the trap out until 10.30pm...
I could not stop thinking of his sad face all night....I put the trap back out with smelly tuna:pray::pray:I just have to get him:fingerscr:fingerscr

onster
March 18th, 2009, 10:34 AM
omgomgomg yay!!!!

im so glad he's alive and was back in your yard. Please please please please let yourself be trapped kitty :pray::pray::pray::pray:

rhartjr
March 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Keep at it chico, you'll get him. Good luck (to you and him).

14+kitties
March 18th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Aww chico :grouphug: I am so glad he is still around. You will get him. Remember it takes time and lots of patience. It doesn't help when there are other cats around. He is probably scared off before he can even get to the food. It is too bad you can't talk to those stupid neighbours about keeping their kitties inside until your kitty is caught.
Keep up the good work mf!! :thumbs up

MOOSEDRY
March 18th, 2009, 02:32 PM
hooray, chico! now that we know he's still around, we can all rest assured that you will manage to get him.

i'm so happy for you!! keep us updated.

trac : )
(ps - lucy (my stray kitty with the new home) is doing much better - she's loving up to the new owners... it was just a matter of time, i guess!)

14+kitties
March 18th, 2009, 02:43 PM
hooray, chico! now that we know he's still around, we can all rest assured that you will manage to get him.

i'm so happy for you!! keep us updated.

trac : )
(ps - lucy (my stray kitty with the new home) is doing much better - she's loving up to the new owners... it was just a matter of time, i guess!)

Moosedry - that is wonderful to hear!!! She just needed to be able to relax and know she isn't getting moved again. :thumbs up

chico2
March 18th, 2009, 03:06 PM
OMG,if I ever catch him I'll be soooo happy,he does not look very old,he's skinny,his long hair is matted and he's dirty:sad:
14+those idiot kitty-millers next door seem to keep the cats indoors for now,probably because of the 13 kittens,poor babies:sad:but I bet the minute the kittens are weaned they'll be back out to get pregnant again:evil:
Vinnie saw the Tortie yesterday,but that's it.

chico2
March 18th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Oh,when I told the guy I have three males,one of them white,I think he would have loved to mate Vinnie with their white female.
But I told him my cats are all neutered and his 3 females should be spayed.

hazelrunpack
March 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I'm so glad to hear that you saw the kitty again, chico! :goodvibes: that he ends up safely in the trap today!!! :fingerscr

chico2
March 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Best news,he'll now be safe!!!(I hope)

hazelrunpack
March 18th, 2009, 09:51 PM
:highfive: That's great news, chico!!!!

How does he look close up? Better than expected, I hope? :goodvibes:

14+kitties
March 18th, 2009, 10:06 PM
OMG!!!! I am soooooo happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!! I bet you are not gonna get much sleep tonight. Good for you! :highfive::grouphug:

RolandsMom
March 18th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Woohoo!! yay! I hope he is okay! well, Im sure he will be so much better now. Good job!!!! :thumbs up:crazy:

growler~GateKeeper
March 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Wonderful news Chico :thumbs up

How does his/her eye look? :goodvibes:

krdahmer
March 19th, 2009, 12:04 AM
:eek::thumbs up http://bestsmileys.com/excited/2.gif :highfive:

AWESOME!!! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story... ;)

Love4himies
March 19th, 2009, 08:06 AM
WA FRIGGIN HOO!!!!

I am so happy, chico :thumbs up :grouphug: :highfive:. So Mr/s Gray kitty, this the start of a better life for you.

chico2
March 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Ok,not much to tell really,but I was so excited I was shaking when I saw it was him/her not a skunk:laughing:
I left the trap outside after dark,it was about 10pm when I realized I got someone.
The kitty looked ok,was calm,until hubby got to close,then kitty was hissing and spitting,but so would probably even my own cats were they caught in a trap.
Stupid,stupid me should have remembered my camera,but I could think of nothing else than this kitty.
I right away called Oakville HS,they have a 24 hour service:thumbs up and the girl came here about 10:30pm to pick kitty up.
I stayed outside on my front-stoop with kitty until HS arrived,because the older big black/white male I've mentioned before,was bothering the kitty in the cage.
After kitty was gone,I left some food out for this boy,this one too is not looking good,really dishevelled(sp?)and dirty,so maybe he'll be the next victim:sad:

Like I told 14+,I know I did the right thing,but why do I have so many doubts,why did I cry as the van drove away:sad:
What if kitty is a female and has kittens somewhere,did I just give those kittens a death-sentence??
What if kitty was happy out there on his/her own??
Hopefully HS can give me some answers to quell my guilt-feelings:pray:

14+kitties
March 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Awww chico! You know deep in your heart you did the right thing. :2huggers: HS will find out if it is a s/he, if there have been kitties recently, etc. It's for his own good. Better there then under the wheels of a car.

CarolynInPEI
March 19th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hey, I just finished reading this whole thread. What a story. I'm so glad you finally caught your kitty. I hope everything turns out good for him/her. I get the same way when I see any animal that looks like its not being treated well or is a stray. I just can't help it. I guess I feel that someone has to love these animals and look out for them, if their owners won't I certainly will. And obviously I'm not the only person that feels this way.

Chris21711
March 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Way to go Chico :thumbs up Don't second guess if you did the right thing, YOU DID. The HS will let you know all of the things that are going through your mind, real nice of them to come out at such an hour.

hazelrunpack
March 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Will the HS call you after they've looked at him, chico? You did the right thing--it sounds like he wasn't doing too well on his own. Now he has a chance :thumbs up

chico2
March 19th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I heard from HS,he is calm and quiet,the vet-tech was able to pet him/her.
They don't know the sex yet,or if kitty's chipped,they want to give him/her some time before checking him/her out:thumbs up
I Know he/she is safe at the Oakville HS,they have some wonderful people working there:cat:and it is a no-kill shelter:thumbs up
I am getting the trap back for the b/w kitty..
Thank's everyone for your support:grouphug:

Chris21711
March 19th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the update Chico, now this poor kitty will get the care he/she deserves :thumbs up

The black and white one, does he/she look in rough shape also?

Love4himies
March 19th, 2009, 12:09 PM
It is always sad to say goodbye to a kitty, even knowing that she/he is going to a better place. :grouphug:

Will the HS keep you updated?

clm
March 19th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I think you may need to keep a permanent trap there Chico2. If that neighbour of yours keeps breeding kittens. :wall:

Cindy

cpietra16
March 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM
:thumbs upChico...good for you...I'm sure the kitty may not realise how lucky he/she is...you'll see..it will work out for the best...good for you.

MOOSEDRY
March 19th, 2009, 02:07 PM
i'm so happy for the both of you! don't second-guess yourself. you did the right thing. i know rescuing is hard, because you'll wonder what happens next for the kitty, and i'm sure you would keep every stray or abandoned kitty that wandered thru your yard if you could... wouldn't we all? anyway, bless you for your diligence - kitty is very lucky you caught him/her. he/she's on to a better life!!

tracy :thumbs up

chico2
March 19th, 2009, 03:36 PM
The HS girl was here with another trap,so here we go again:cat:she is a really nice young lady,obviously passionate about her job.
The b/w cat is older,I am sure,he's dirty and sad looking.
He has a really big head and jowls a real Tom-cat:lovestruck:
I've seen him sleeping in different places,so I doubt he has a home:sad:
Hopefully he's not too smart,after seeing the other cat in the trap last night and won't go in,but he's hungry I'm sure,poor baby.
If caught at least he won't make any more babies.
MOOSEDRY,yes,I wish I was younger,had the space to take care of these kitties myself.
I kind of feel I betray them trapping them:sad:
I tell you though,thank dog for our HS!!

Chris21711
March 19th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I kind of feel I betray them trapping them:sad:

You know Chico how a lot of stray cats end up, in the end most of them get sick from one disease or the other and come to a nasty demise. This kitty will not thanks to you :thumbs up

I tell you though,thank dog for our HS!!

Great to have a good support system in place.

14+kitties
March 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I am glad kitty has settled down for the HS. Maybe by tomorrow they will be able to give you an idea of the sex and how the eye is. :thumbs up

Let's put this in prospective. See if it helps those feelings of guilt .....

Kitty wandering free: Always hungry, searching for food; trying to find spots to sleep every night or during the day; getting sick and not being able to recover; running from dogs and other cats; getting into fights; evading cars (hopefully); getting kicked away if they get too close to someone looking for food.

Kitty trapped and in a no kill HS: Safe; well fed; healthier; hopefully adopted quickly; no more fighting; no running..........

I think kitty will take the second one in a heartbeat. :thumbs up

I wish to Gawd I would have been able to do that for Li'l Momma. She would still be with us today. :sad:

Good luck with the new one!!

Love4himies
March 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Ditto what 14+ said. I wish I had done that for Misty, she would be alive today.

glasslass
March 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Good job, Chico!:thumbs up

t.pettet
March 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Your persistence and patience payed off and kitty is getting the help he needs, kudos to you Chico.

onster
March 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Oh chico I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy to read this news!!!!!

YAY

please continue to give us updates on the guy/girl. Such a lucky thing to have you come in their life.

14+kitties
March 20th, 2009, 06:43 PM
chico - Where are you today? Hope everything is ok. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
March 20th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Any luck today, chico? :fingerscr

And did you get any updates from the HS?

chico2
March 21st, 2009, 12:10 PM
Here I am,kind of:sick:,I've been really sick for the past 36 hours,vomitting etc...caught it from Fate's owners who were all sick and stupid me went over there..I'm feeling better today.Lost 4 lb's in 24 hours,but that's not the way to do it
I had an e-mail from the girl at HS,she will update me on the little guy/girl as soon as she can,they've just been very busy.
I have been feeding the b/w kitty at night,so hopefully he'll go in the trap,I just have not been able to stay up and watch it.
I will tomorrow.

14+,thank you for that,of course you are right,he/she's better off at HS:cat:

14+kitties
March 21st, 2009, 12:13 PM
Awww chico! :grouphug: I was afraid yesterday when you weren't on that you were sick. I am so sorry. I hope it gets over quickly. You are right. Losing weight that way isn't good. And you don't need to lose any. Feel better real soon please. :grouphug:

All the stress of the stray kitties probably didn't help any either. Your defences were probably worn down worrying about them.

rainbow
March 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
I just read this entire thread now and big hugs to you, Chico for capturing the grey/white kitty and getting him the care he needs. :angel: :grouphug:

I hope you are feeling better today. :fingerscr :grouphug:

And good luck with capturing the black/white kitty. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
March 21st, 2009, 04:56 PM
Rainbow,thank's,I feel a bit better,but feel as weak as a dishrag,any food just makes my tummy turn.
I've been sleeping a lot and living on Ginger Ale,but I'll get over this.

The HS girl also told me,the stray kitty had been very tired and slept most of the first day,I hope that's good news and does not mean he's sick:fingerscr
If he is,he is in a good place,better than outside these cold nights.

I have a feeling he's a she,that's why the b/w cat stuck around the trap and also why they have been fighting,but I could be wrong.
The b/w cat does not seem as scared as the g/w one,but he looks a mess.
Probably because he's been trying and succeeding to survive a very cold winter,I just don't know how they do???

14+kitties
March 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Aww, kitty slept cause s/he knew s/he was safe. :cloud9: At least we hope that's why.
The two cats fighting could mean that kitty is a girl or could also mean they are two dominant males. It's also probable that they have a past history both being on the streets. I feel so good that you managed to catch the one. The next one will get caught soon!! :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
March 21st, 2009, 09:37 PM
I hope you're feeling better soon, chico! :goodvibes: :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
March 21st, 2009, 10:39 PM
:goodvibes: Feel better soon Chico :goodvibes:

:goodvibes: for nabbing the b/w kitty :fingerscr

Magicwildwolf69
March 22nd, 2009, 02:01 AM
same as other long threads been reading and didn't have much time to post

so glad you caught the other one i agree he's/she's safer at the shelter and will be taken care of. i always feel guilty when i see cats outside and i think i should take care of them but then i don't usually see them again because i live on such a busy street most of them tend to stay away from it which is good.

hope you feel better soon!

Love4himies
March 22nd, 2009, 07:16 AM
I am so sorry you were so sick, chico :grouphug:. I hope you get back to your old self soon.

I was thinking the same as 14+, Mr/s Grey/White kitty was finally feeling safe enough to get some sleep. It is not a good world outside for animals, they can never let their guard down.

chico2
March 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM
Thank's everyone,now hubby is sick too:evil:
He's been sooo good,really looked after me,now,although I feel really weak,I have to do the same for him..

I had another e-mai from"my" HS-girl,she says the kitty is still settling down,don't know if that's good or bad:confused:

I went to see Fates owners,because a lady who loves Fate,she's seen me give Fate treats,asked if I thought they would let her try to walk her,leashtrain her:thumbs up.
Little did I know they'd all been sick:yell:

Hopefully I'll be able to get that trap out today,so far I feel a little better,been living on red Jello:sick:

Love4himies
March 22nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
It is such a huge transition for the kitty to go from outside to a HS. There are many kitty smells there, but once he/she knows that it is safe and will have a full belly he/she will be fine.

chico2
March 22nd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Thank's L4H,I don't know that much about stray cats or how long it takes for them to adjust.
I'd like to go and see him and I probably will,it's just sooo heartbreaking seeing all these beautiful kitties needing homes:sad:

Toonces
March 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Chico I am so glad you caught the stray, lucky kitty to be hanging around your place:angel2: It took Rupert a few days to adjust to indoor living but once he did there was no going back for him.

Hope you and hubby get well soon:grouphug:

glasslass
March 23rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Take care of yourself, Chico. There's been a bug going around here that keeps coming back. You can't keep helping kitties if you don't keep yourself well.

hazelrunpack
March 23rd, 2009, 09:10 PM
I hope you and hubby are feeling better, chico! :grouphug:

rainbow
March 23rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
Just sending some Get Well wishes to you and your hubby, Chico. :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

14+kitties
March 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hey chico, how are things going on your end? Any news on the g/w kitty? :fingerscr

chico2
March 24th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Thank's girls,I am feeling better,but now I have a cold:wall:I can deal with a cold though..
Hubby still sick :sick:
I heard from HS,she says they have been very busy,but the kitty is fine,relaxing.
She has not really had time to check on him/her too much,but at least I know he's safe and warm:thumbs up
I put the trap out yesterday,had to take it in at 9pm,saw a couple of smallish Raccoons in the backyard,OMG they are cute,but I don't want to trap them again.
I wish I could trap and take the idiot neighbors girl-kitties so they did not need to get preggers again.
How soon after birthing can cats get pregnant again????
I have not seen the older b/w kitty,but I am sure he's around:sad:

Chris21711
March 24th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the update Chico, like you said kitty is being looked after and the girls will be run off their feet. When I used to volunteer in Cat Rehab, it is non stop all day, if it weren't for volunteers there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done.

As far as I know, females can become pregnant again even before they have finished weaning their babies, if the neighbours do not get their girls spayed and carry on letting them roam, expect at least one more litter this year :wall:

chico2
March 24th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Chris,it just breaks my heart,I've only seen the 2 females,one beautiful long-haired white little girl and the other a longhaired Tortie also small,the third cat is supposed to be older.
Since they are in the business of selling kittens:evil:I don't know what is going to happen,I just know there should be a law to prevent this.
I know the landlord very well,can't wait to tell him what's going on in his house,he definetly does not want 13 kittens and 3 cats in there.:frustrated:
It's a catch 22 situation,I don't want anything bad to happen to the kitties.

Chris21711
March 24th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Chico I know how sad it makes you feel, but honestly you can't beat yourself up, it is a neverending cycle, IMO it will never end, all we can try to do is reduce the problem.

I really don't understand these people, just how much money can one really make from selling kittens, in season you can drive around and "Free Kittens" signs are a dime a dozen :sad:

It's plain and simple Chico, your neighbours just do not care about the overpopulation, they are no different than the majority of the population :yell::wall:

14+kitties
March 24th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I am so sorry you have a cold and hubby is still sick. Feel better soon. :goodvibes:
Cats can get pregnant a few weeks after having a litter. In warmer climates they can have three litters a year. Your neighbours are losers. They will be dead before long on that street. I can't see them staying on their property. :wall:
Doesn't your city have a pet limit? It probably does not apply to kittens but I am wondering if someone from the HS can do a check or something. But then they would probably think you turned them in. You are in a lose/lose situation with them. I hate that for you. :grouphug:

RolandsMom
March 24th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Get Better Chico!! its no fun being sick! chicken soup!!! :grouphug:

Chris21711
March 25th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Remember the other day Chico, how you said that in a way you felt that you had betrayed the kitty you trapped by taking away s/he's freedom?

Yesterday morning after I logged off, I was upstairs in Ethel's room and looked through the window, just a bit south of one of our driveways there lay a beautiful Tabby Cat, been hit in the head by a car :sad:....I don't know who this poor kitty belonged to, but I went and wrapped s/he in a little blankie and bagged her/him and Ethel took the body to the shelter this morning to be cremated with the other animals they have there :sad::yell:

So Chico, rest assured you did the only right thing :angel:

BenMax
March 25th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Chico2 - I know how you feel. I have been guilt ridden on one of my trappings of ferals.

Last summer I found a very skinny mommy and her baby at a garage dealership. It was so hot and I knew that they were starving. I got a cage and within 10 minutes I trapped both. I brought them to my vet and had every work-up possible done. The baby was fine and put up for adoption but the momma was FIV positive as well as leukemia. She was PTS and I felt horrible.

This winter was brutal - and I know in my heart that neither would have survived and probably would have either been hit by cars or worse - starved and froze to death. So in my head I used this to balance my guilt.

Rest assured you did do the right thing. It is far better than looking the other way in my opinion.:grouphug:

chico2
March 25th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Awwww Chris,that poor Tabby:rip:little lost soul.
I know you are right,I feel good about it now,much better than the feeling I had seeing him run away from me out in to the street,he'll be ok:cat:
After I took the trap in last night I left the food and was checking in the window to hopefully find out if the b/w kitty was eating it.
A female Raccoon was having a good meal,until a little fat Possum came along and scared her away and the Possum ate it all,wish I could have gotten it on video..I did not think a Raccoon would be afraid of a Possum:laughing:
They are both really cute,we actually think the Possum lives under our front-deck,if she does,she can stay to have her babies there:lovestruck:
I always check the street for the b/w cat,I've seen him around in the day-time,it would be great if he would go in the trap,but maybe he's too smart:confused:

chico2
March 25th, 2009, 11:01 AM
BenMax,don't worry,I never look the other way,no matter what,whether it's about animals or people,I am a busybody,sometimes looking for trouble(that's what hubby says!)..
At least your momma kitty left peacefully and her baby was saved:cat::grouphug:

BenMax
March 25th, 2009, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=chico2;761304]BenMax,don't worry,I never look the other way,no matter what,whether it's about animals or people,I am a busybody,sometimes looking for trouble(that's what hubby says!)..
QUOTE]

And that is why I like you so much Chico2. You are good people!:)

chico2
March 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Well,I got some news from HS in an e-mail,apparently the g/w kitty has a home and had been missing,so now he's back home.
It's hard to believe,since he was around here the whole freezing cold winter and was matted and dirty,but maybe he'd been missing several months.:confused:
If it were my cat,I would ask who trapped him and send at least a"Thank You card":confused:not that I need a card,but I would be soooo happy to get my cat back.

14+kitties
March 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM
That's weird. Hopefully kitty was an escapee and not just let out to fend for himself. It's great he had a home I guess. Let's hope he doesn't show up again. If he does you know they are letting him out. Not good. :fingerscr for him. He was definitely a he? That's great!!! Was he fixed?
And yes, a small thank you for the person who saved him would be good. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to it yet. Or maybe they thought the HS trapped him? :shrug: At any rate chico, you are an :angel: for helping him! We all know that and :thankyou: for it!

hazelrunpack
March 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Yep, you did good, chico!!! :grouphug:

:fingerscr it was just a fluke that he escaped. If he shows up again...um....maybe g/w kitty needs to disappear to a good home.... :o

Love4himies
March 28th, 2009, 11:13 PM
As we all know some very well loved kitties (and dogs) get out of the house and lost, you have done a wonderful thing, Chico, and reunited somebody who was looking for their baby. :grouphug:

I really don't think anybody who didn't cared about their kitty would bother to contact the shelter to try to find their kitty.

growler~GateKeeper
March 29th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Wonderful news for the g/w kitty to be home again :thumbs up :fingerscr he is kept inside from now on

rainbow
March 29th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I am so happy to hear that the grey/white kitty has been reunited with his family. :thumbs up

I also think the people should have thanked you but maybe the spca didn't tell them any details. :shrug:

I hope you and your hubby are feeling better. :goodvibes:

Any news on the black/white kitty? :fingerscr

chico2
March 29th, 2009, 09:55 AM
sadly no,I have not seen him for a long time:sad:and I always look for him.
I used to see him sleeping in the sun in many places,on my walks with Baileybut not anymore:sad:
I still put the trap out,but see nothing but raccoons,possums and the neighbors female kitties,yes,they let them out,although they have kittens:evil:

Love4himies
March 29th, 2009, 10:31 AM
sadly no,I have not seen him for a long time:sad:and I always look for him.
I used to see him sleeping in the sun in many places,on my walks with Baileybut not anymore:sad:
I still put the trap out,but see nothing but raccoons,possums and the neighbors female kitties,yes,they let them out,although they have kittens:evil:

He may be back. I think I posted that Misty would disappear for a month at a time.

OMG, Mommas are being allowed outside :eek: :yell: :frustrated: :sad:. It is bad enough they don't have them spayed, but to risk their lives when there are kittens dependent on them :cry:.

rainbow
March 29th, 2009, 03:54 PM
OMG, I can't believe your neighbours. :wall:

I hope that you and your hubby are feeling better and that the black/white kitty is safe somewhere. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
March 29th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah,these beautiful little girls are really going to be a problem in the summer,the only reason my cats would jump the fence is if the they see other cats.:evil:
I saw the third one,she is a beauty,a longhaired black kitty,they don't deserve these beautiful little cats,I just get sooo mad.
If the kittens don't sell,then what are they going to do???They have 13-14 of them:yell:

I am keeping the trap for another week,if I don't see him anymore or am able to trap him,at least I can try to feed him.

Love4himies
March 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
:sad::cry::yell::mad: Maybe you should trap the girls when the kittens are old enough and spay them. Once they are spayed, can't be reversed

14+kitties
March 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM
:sad::cry::yell::mad: Maybe you should trap the girls when the kittens are old enough and spay them. Once they are spayed, can't be reversed

And if they are truly in the business of selling kittens then they would just get rid of those females and get more. :shrug: It's too bad the landlord can't step in. But then they would only move to a different spot and start all over. It's a lose/lose situation in my eyes.

chico2
March 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM
These people would know right away who is behind trapping these girls,I let the guy know exactly how I felt and I am a terrible liar.
If I even could afford to spay them,I'd end up in jail:laughing:
We will see what happens later on when the kittens are weaned,if the females are going around here howling while in heat,I am going to HAVE TO do something,my cats go crazy:evil:
These girls are sooo small and beautiful.
Legally nothing at all can be done:sad:

14+kitties
March 30th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Mmmm, you want a visitor in about 4 or 5 weeks chico? :rolleyes: :D
Or two even. I am sure I could talk kr into going for a drive!!

BenMax
March 30th, 2009, 11:29 AM

You bad...heck my bad....I had the same thoughts........:D

14+kitties
March 30th, 2009, 11:45 AM
You bad...heck my bad....I had the same thoughts........:D

Who bad? Moi? Noooooo, not me...... :rolleyes:

Love4himies
March 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM

*snicker, snicker*

krdahmer
March 30th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately they'd just keep a few of the kittens and probably have them pregnant at 6 months old to make some more kittens!:mad::evil::frustrated: I don't know why backyard breeders are not lumped in the same pot as puppy mills yet... but they should be and punishable by law just the same!

Chris21711
March 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
You can have a thousand cats, dogs whatever krdahmer, as long as they are fed, watered, appropriate housing and clean there is nothing the law can do about it. The only way it can be dealt with is through by-laws.

chico2
March 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM
14+,you ARE bad:laughing::laughing:
I honestly think it would not make any difference if by chance these beautiful cats would be gone,like Dahmer says,they'd just use some of their kittens:yell:
But you and Dahmer are always welcome here:thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
April 5th, 2009, 03:11 AM
chico2, I'm so glad u were finally able to trap the cat. I hope the owners are more careful with it. Could U maybe, ask the HS lady if she could give the owners your phone # so they could contact u and u could find out how the cat is? Maybe she could tell them how anxious u were to catch the poor thing all winter, and how u worried about it getting hurt during the winter?

Also, if your neighbours are selling kittens don't they need a business license? Maybe u could report them for that to the city? Just a thought. And aren't places that "breed" animals regulated at all? Like cleanliness, how many pets they are allow to have in so much space? Probably I'm being nieve, but I'm just wondering.

Debbie