Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poodle left in van for 19 days,survives..

chico2
March 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Outrage over $100 fine for abandoned dog

GLENN RUSSELL/THE BURLINGTON PRESS FILE PHOTO
Michou, a 12-year-old miniature poodle, spent 19 days alone in freezing temperatures in a van while his Quebec owner flew off on a trip. Michou now is thriving and gets a new home, but there's anger over the owner's punishment: a $100 fine. Email story
Print
Choose text size
Report typo or correction
License this article

Number of days Quebec resident Pascal Bellon's poodle was locked in his vehicle.

$100
Ticket that Bellon received from Vermont authorities for his actions.
'He's a little guy with a

BenMax
March 4th, 2009, 08:14 AM
This simply sickens me to no end...100 bucks! Unbelievable.:mad:

chico2
March 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM
BenMax,I tried to delete the story,I obviously did something wrong trying to post it.:yell:
There is a pic and full story at www.thestar.com

BenMax
March 4th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Ok this quote makes me damn sick!

""This is an unfortunate incident and to see what a fuss has been made when there are so many situations in this world deserving of time and energy, it's a shame to put so much attention on an unfortunate incident," said resident Holly Gosselin."

So this is the mentality! This just enraged me even more.:mad::evil:

Blackdog22
March 4th, 2009, 08:46 AM
As someone who see's her dogs as children, I am outraged.
How can this happen?

I worry about my dogs whenever I go out, it's almost instinctive. I cannot possibly comprehend 'forgetting' about them for one day, nevermind nearly a month.

chico2
March 4th, 2009, 09:20 AM
BenMax.great mind think alike;)that quote was exactly what really got to me..
Also,how would he not know the dog was in the van,he drove across the border:confused:
Would he not have arranged a sitter for the dog if he was going on vacation?:confused:
Did they not wonder where the dog was:confused:
Why didn't anybody notice a frantic pup in the van:confused:
Too many questions,unless the owner was 105 yrs old,his excuse stinks,the $100 fine stinks.
The silver-lining...the pup amazingly survived and has a new home:thumbs up

BenMax
March 4th, 2009, 09:53 AM
BenMax.great mind think alike;)that quote was exactly what really got to me..
Also,how would he not know the dog was in the van,he drove across the border:confused:
Would he not have arranged a sitter for the dog if he was going on vacation?:confused:
Did they not wonder where the dog was:confused:
Why didn't anybody notice a frantic pup in the van:confused:
Too many questions,unless the owner was 105 yrs old,his excuse stinks,the $100 fine stinks.
The silver-lining...the pup amazingly survived and has a new home:thumbs up

Exactly - so his excuse does not wash! Could they not see that???

Love4himies
March 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM
There was a principal in the states who forgot her toddler in the back of the car while she went to work for the day. Child was not discovered until the end of the day and of course ended up dying from overheating, so it does happen.

I often wonder how these people function on daily bases and get through life? What is occupying their brains that they don't give their loved ones a second thought through out the day or even for a few weeks? Are they that self absorbed?

Weren't these people thinking: I wonder how Fido is doing at/with...., wonder if Fido is OK..., then remember that Fido was left in the back of the van. If Fido got into the van without knowing it and there suppose to be a pet sitter coming to their house, why did the sitter call them to let them know Fido wasn't there?

I don't buy their story.

14+kitties
March 4th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Absolutely reprehensible!!! I hope this story makes people aware that he should never ever have the right to "own" another pet! It is beyond belief that his townmates feel he did it by accident. How do you go on vacation for 19 days and NOT think of your pets at least once? :wall::wall::wall:

$100! I told hubby. He said he probably thought any fine he got was going to be cheaper than having to pay boarding costs for the poor guy. He probably isn't far off. "I forgot" my @$$! I think that's where his brains are!!

So next time I decide I need to get away I guess it's ok for me to "forget" I have 25 or so cats, two dogs, the lovebirds and fish to look after? Yeahhhhhhhh..... :wall::wall:

krdahmer
March 4th, 2009, 10:39 AM
:sad: That is just sad. That was the best they could do? Is there not a way that someone could sue those people? I mean it's the US I'm sure a lawyer could come up with something.... can dogs sue their owners there yet? :wall::yell::frustrated: ANd forgot, my a**.... he would have had to declare and show papers for him at the border! It didn't dawn on them then, oh crap we forgot to get a sitter for the dog? Please. :loser:

It's wonderful that the little doggy has a good home and will be cared for and loved the rest of his days:cloud9:.... but those idiot owners have learned nothing and that anyone would defend them is just... well.... IDIOTIC!!!! :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
March 4th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I could't open the story link. :frustrated: Connection again.

However, US laws are not that much stronger than Canadian laws, L4H. And him being from across the border, I doubt VT had much interest in throwing the book at him. They might have tried for animal cruelty, but in the end, he would still have been paying a fine and going home across the border at the end of the day. :shrug: It would still be up to Canadian authorities to prevent the guy from ever owning dogs again.

At least the dog is in loving hands now.

super9xman
March 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM
That is just cruel and sad! These guys need to be sued

Shaykeija
March 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM
That a$$ hole needs a kick in the whoo whoo's.

chico2
March 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hazel,I was reading,in Vermont he would have gotten a fine of $7.500..

hazelrunpack
March 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I thought he was in Vermont, chico? :confused: I still can't open the link to the story, so I'm not sure what you're saying... :shrug:

chico2
March 5th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Hazel,I think that's what VT stands for:confused:yes he was there,probably because of cheaper flights,but I believe he was charged by the Canadians,not the US,I could be wrong:confused:

hazelrunpack
March 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I think the infraction is usually tried in the court of the municipality where it occurred...so I'm assuming the guy was fined by the Vermont authorities. But they'd have no power to keep him from owning animals since, as a Canadian citizen, he's not normally under their jursidiction. :shrug:

Does anyone know if he was actually charged? Or did they just issue a citation?