Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poop Eating !?

bird hunter
March 4th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Any help would be appreciated. My new pup is 4 months old and will eat almost any poop it can find. Warm or Frozen, dog or cat or deer. It not only is disgusting but I know this can not be healthy either. I tried picking up all of hers as well as my other dogs but it has become tough to do with a foot of snow on the ground. Not to mention all the deer poop. Do I need to leash her all the time? I would think that it will stop at some point. Anyhow does the supplements that they put on the dogs food really work, if so does anyone have any advise ? Thanks

Blackdog22
March 4th, 2009, 08:55 AM
There are a few reasons a dog will eat poop. The most common one that I have heard of is a vitamin deficiency (vit e?).
The first question that must be asked is, what food do you feed and how long have you been feeding it (have you switched recently?)
Also, has this pup recently seen the vet?

super9xman
March 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM
hmm, lack of vitamin's could be the reason, but when my dog did that I add some srinkles of chicken on his food and I bought him better tasting food and that got himto stop eating poop.

BusterBoo
March 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Buster is eating Orijen and Wellness mixed and he started his little habit this winter, he is almost 3 yrs old.

I haven't tried any "over the counter" remedies yet, but if this keeps up once the "poopsicles" thaw, I will be looking for more help. The only way to stop him is to keep him on a 25 ft leash in the backyard, restricts him to a smaller area and I scoop the poop right away! :shrug:

bambee
March 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Add some nutrients to his food and make it more tasty so that he will no longer eat poop. Or you can clean up the poop right away. You can also try adding a very very hot sauce on the poop so that he wil avoid him. Another reason for poop eating could be because of parasites that inhabit your dog. Plan a trip to your vet as soon as possible.

BusterBoo
March 4th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Add some nutrients to his food and make it more tasty so that he will no longer eat poop. Or you can clean up the poop right away. You can also try adding a very very hot sauce on the poop so that he wil avoid him. Another reason for poop eating could be because of parasites that inhabit your dog. Plan a trip to your vet as soon as possible.

Just a thought...but if you are going out to sprinkle hot sauce on the poop, why not just scoop it up?? :shrug:

bambee
March 5th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Just a thought...but if you are going out to sprinkle hot sauce on the poop, why not just scoop it up?? :shrug:

Well yeah I did mention cleaning the poop right away. The hot sauce was just another option.

MommaKat
March 5th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I am in the same boat as you, I also have a 4 month old puppy (shih tzu) that eats her own poop. I'm not sure why they do it, my best guess is (because we're talking about puppies after all) it's experimentation, their still babies it's natural for them to plop anything in their mouth :shrug: .

My girl is a ninja when it comes to poop, she is so fast :yuck: best method so far that I have found is teaching "leave it" as soon as possible to give you a chance to clean it up . Have to be really diligent about it though,Do you usually just let her out in the backyard for potty? maybe a long line attached to you or a retractable leash would help you have a little more control? or getting really creative and sectioning off her own little potty area?

Good luck :thumbs up

shanasbananas
March 11th, 2009, 03:07 PM
My Italian Greyhound, Reilly Bean, used to eat his own poo when he was a puppy. We bought these little pills at PetSmart that we fed him once a day and it totally broke him of the habit. Apparently it made the poo less appetizing. He's never eaten poo again and he's 9 years old now. :dog: