Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oy, now Czarina is poopy.

ancientgirl
March 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
So I thought Czari managed to have the tummy bug miss her, but we weren't so lucky. I got home and noticed she was in and out of the litter. At one point, she even used the box as I was cleaning it, and Czari is one of those cats who needs her privacy!

I took her in and $289 later, she's got some bacteria in her tummy and intestine. I got some antibiotics for her, in the pill form since I can't give her liquid. I hate that my regular vet wasn't there. She would have just written a prescription, because this is the same thing Kiska had! But the guy covering this week wouldn't prescribe anything until examining her and running tests! He was a nice guy, but I'm cleaned out now and I don't get paid until next week Friday. :yell:

At least Czari was examined and I know it's not something serious.:shrug: I felt so bad for her. I'd never been able to see open her mouth, myself so when the vet did I noticed she's got one tiny little tooth on her upper jaw and two tiny little ones on her lower. My poor girl. :sad: At least she has her long canines.

Thank goodness I have at least enough left to buy them food until pay day. It's a good thing I decided to make my car payment late. If I hadn't I would not have had any money to get her treated.

I'm so tired of being broke all the time.:yell:

krdahmer
March 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I'm so tired of being broke all the time.:yell:

You and me both! :grouphug:

Sorry to hear Czari did catch that bug after all... and of course it was when the regular vet was away! :rolleyes: Hope she is feeling better real soon! :goodvibes:

14+kitties
March 4th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Aww :grouphug: for Czari and for you!! I know how tough it is to be broke. I live life broke! But we make it through. We are all survivors!
Hopefully Czari will keep on taking the pill pockets for you. :fingerscr That's the only way you are going to get those pills down her. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

ancientgirl
March 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys. I just had a total meltdown at the office this morning too. I really need to start taking my medication again. I think I'll bum off the ones I was giving Czari, I can use the Prozac until I get in to see my Dr.

It's just all overwhelming me right now.

At least I'm happy that she so far is taking her pills with no problem. She also seemed a little better this morning. She didn't use the box the entire time I was up and getting ready, which I think is a good sign. I also picked up some Pepcid AC, so I'll give her that for a few days, the vet told me to give it to her.

And I'm very happy I have enough money for their food this week. So that alone takes some of the burden off of my brain.

I have to get them some sort of probiotic. They sell one at the vets office at a decent price compared to the ones I've seen elsewhere. I want to start giving them that to at least keep their tummies free of anything nasty!

krdahmer
March 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM
You know this is a little :offtopic: but I have to share... I can't say enough good things about probiotics and the like. I'd been suffering for years ever since I started my diabetes meds (metformin, which causes digestive issues and diarrhea in 56% of people that take it... would have been nice to know before hand), I couldn't go anywhere without knowing where I could go to the bathroom, and I had to frequently (like 4-6 times a day), it was awful and really limited what I was able to do and where I could go (long car trips were a nightmare and I haven't travelled with Chase in the truck since). I got a skin yeast infection a while back and a girl at the store suggested taking Bio-K orally instead of slathering all the doctor prescribed creams on top of it (they weren't working anyhow). After a week of taking the liquid form (:yuck:, I have since switched to the pills), I noticed the infection was nearly cleared and when I reflected on the few days prior realized that my guts were miraculously 100% better! It has been years since I've been 'regular' and I can't tell you what a relief it was to find out it was just the pills and it had a quick fix (for a while I was thinking IBS or something awful). I'm now working on getting off the metformin alltogether because it also makes me nauseated in the am which is also unpleasant. I would highly recommend the Bio-K (or something like it) to anyone with digestive issues, right now I'm taking 1- 30million bacteria pill every other day for sort of maintenance because they are very pricey ($45 for 40 pills) and I get them at my health food store. Ok end of kinda :offtopic:...

I think it's a great idea to get them all on something like that, especially where you live where bacteria and parasites and the like never get killed off by the cold!:thumbs up

ancientgirl
March 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Kr, that stuff sounds great. I have to say, I'm a firm believer in if you can find something natural to help things along, go for it.

My gang's regular vet said I could give them Activia, but the only one who even touches it is Oksana! She loves it. I mean, I could let her have a spoonful a few times a week, but what about the others?

A probiotic in a powder form is my only option. Something that is tasteless and I can just mix into their food.

There's bacteria and parasites everywhere you look. I likely bring stuff in from the streets and not realize it. So yeah, something preventative is important.

sugarcatmom
March 4th, 2009, 06:18 PM
A probiotic in a powder form is my only option. Something that is tasteless and I can just mix into their food.

No need to get the ones from the vet, it's probably cheaper to get the people probiotics. One that I really like is Natural Factors Ultimate Probiotic 12/12 (http://www.totalhealthvitamins.net/product/7373/natural_factors) (previously known as the Ultimate Multi Probiotic). The reason it's a good choice is because it has a high potency (12 billion organisms per cap) so you only need a pinch (a decent cat-sized dose is about 2 billion organisms, which means you only need 1/6th of a capsule per cat). It also contains a wide variety of organisms, and since we don't know what types of bacteria are specific to a cat's digestive system, this covers all the bases.

Hope Czari is pooping better soon!

ancientgirl
March 4th, 2009, 06:23 PM
No need to get the ones from the vet, it's probably cheaper to get the people probiotics. One that I really like is Natural Factors Ultimate Probiotic 12/12 (http://www.totalhealthvitamins.net/product/7373/natural_factors) (previously known as the Ultimate Multi Probiotic). The reason it's a good choice is because it has a high potency (12 billion organisms per cap) so you only need a pinch (a decent cat-sized dose is about 2 billion organisms, which means you only need 1/6th of a capsule per cat). It also contains a wide variety of organisms, and since we don't know what types of bacteria are specific to a cat's digestive system, this covers all the bases.

Hope Czari is pooping better soon!

Thanks! I can actually use that for them and me! So I'd just empty the capsule sprinkle a pinch on their food?

I need to give them something. Summer is coming and I don't want these issues around again.

She seems better today. No excessive pooping.

growler~GateKeeper
March 5th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I use PB8 (http://www.nutritionnow.com/PB8.htm) probiotics capsules for Duffy as recommended by her vet 1 capsule twice a day, opened & mixed into her food.

ancientgirl
March 5th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I think I've seen you post this before. There's a site that sells a bottle of 120 for about $12. That'll last me about 12 days if I give 2 times a day as well. That's not a bad price. They have two, a regular version and a vegetarian version. I might get the vegetarian one for myself. Thanks Growler!

Czari is doing much better today. Although, she's not really liking the pill pockets much. I may need t get her those Pounce Hairball treats. She always loved those and giving her pills hidden in there was always easy. I'll get some on the way home.

onster
March 5th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Glad that czarina is better today :grouphug: Is it something thats contagious do u think or they al got it from the same source?

ancientgirl
March 5th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Onster, she's certainly got firmer poop today.

The vet said what Kiska had wasn't contagious, but they all had this over abundance of bacteria in their system. That's what Kiska's tests showed and also Czari. So they all certainly got this from the same source.

As soon as my bank account allows, I'm getting them a probiotic. Hopefully that will at least help keep the good stuff in their tummies and the bad stuff out.

onster
March 5th, 2009, 06:57 PM
have u tried plain yoghurt? Bunduk is a fan but Onnie is not.

To get Onnie to eat it I take some canned food, add in some water (onnie likes things mushy) and some yoghurt and stir it all up.

ancientgirl
March 5th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I bought the Activia, and Oksana will have a spoonful. To me that's amazing, because she's very picky! The others don't like it so much. I'll try the food thing. I don't like to mix it in their main food, like the whole thing because if they don't like it, I'll have to throw it away.

But I can certainly take a little bit and mix it to see if they'll eat it.

onster
March 5th, 2009, 07:04 PM
sorry i totally skimmed over the middle of this thread. So u tried activia eh? hmmm if u have any left over try mixing it with their wet food, u never know.

Ya trying it with a small amount is good, especially if they are good and hungry (example breakfast) and maybe try only a small amount of yoghurt at first.

onster
March 5th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Another thing I do, which is kinda mean :o is plop a bit of yoghurt on Onnie's nose. He automatically licks it off :thumbs up

ancientgirl
March 5th, 2009, 07:08 PM
LOL, I've tried smearing some on their face but they are on to me. They see me coming and run!:laughing:

onster
March 5th, 2009, 07:11 PM
lol i just put some in a teaspoon then walk over to onnie (usually he wont be in the kitchen). naturally he is curious of whats in the spoon and as he inches his nose making his little rabbit nose twitchy sniffies - WHAM - he gets splattered with it :evil:

hahaha u have to be sneaky :p

of course sometimes u have to offer something tasty in the spoon so that he's not always on the defensive

I know i know im shameful :sad:

ancientgirl
March 5th, 2009, 07:20 PM
LOL, that's mean. A big problem for me is, they are always in the kitchen when I'm getting food. I swear, they will be sleeping, some downstairs others upstairs, and the second I open the fridge or open some package, I've got a kitchen full of cats. :laughing:

sugarcatmom
March 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Problem with yogurt is it generally doesn't contain enough of the beneficial bacteria to make a significant difference if there's an imbalance. It's probably okay for maintenance, unless you have a cat that's sensitive to cow dairy (in which case goat yogurt would be better). Probiotic capsules really aren't that expensive and they can last for quite a while in the fridge.

ancientgirl
March 5th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I'm going with the capsules. I think for my gang it will be easier to fool them. LOL, at least I hope!

ancientgirl
March 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I've been trying to contact the office manager since last week to talk to her about the charges for Czari's visit. It's been eating away at me because I feel like I was sort of brushed off when I explained that my other 4 had already been through the bout of diarrhea, and that there was no need to poke and prod Czari. I also said I was disappointed and felt that the tests they did were just so they could make money off of me.

I went through the entire story with the Office Manager when she called me. From my first phone call to telling the doctor about my prior visit with Kiska. She was nice and said she'd talk to the head vet. She said she'd ask him if there would be any reason why I could not have been given the medication, meaning would it have hurt Czari if she took it for the wrong reason.

I'm not a doctor, but what I gave her was an anti-biotic, one that my regular vet said was to kill the bacteria she had and for the diarrhea. In my mind, if she had the horrible looking diarrhea she had, she obviously had some sort of bacteria, therefore I don't believe it would have done her any harm.

I'm not expecting to get any of the money returned, I just want acknowledgment that I should have been listened at the very least since there was a very likely chance Czari had the same thing the others had. I'm the first one to agree to a test, to better diagnose something I or the vet doesn't know is wrong. But I feel this was a different case and I didn't appreciate getting fleeced like I did.