Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Amazingly good Vegan Frozen entree

ancientgirl
March 3rd, 2009, 01:13 PM
I have just had what I can only describe as the best frozen entree I've ever had in my life!

I'm talking amazing!

I've seen this brand for a while next to the veggie frozen stuff. Yesterday I thought, "hey, why haven't I ever tried these?"

The brand is "Tandoor Chef" and the meal I got is "Channa Masala." Man was it good! I added just a small bit of brown rice, since this is more like a bean dish. It was spicy, and the flavors were really intense. The second I took it out of the microwave, it was I stepped into the Indian Restaurant down the street from my job!

The best part is, this dish was totally vegan!

I did buy another dish, which is some sort of veggie dumpling. I can't remember what it's called.

I'm adding this photo, so you can see what the box looks like. They have a website but it doesn't seem to be working.

Anyway, this was really good and I can't wait to try the other entree that's currently in my freezer! They were not too expensive, which is always a good thing. I think they are about $3.95 approx.

CearaQC
March 3rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
I don't mean to bust your bubble, but you might think about watching a video series made in the UK called "Supermarket Secrets."

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-5774892958354867332

That first one is mostly about chicken.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=3486838871531386599

Part 2 talks a lot about prepacked and frozen foods.

They took many well known frozen dinners off the shelves in the UK and took them to a laboratory in Germany to be tested. For the most part the lab results coincided with what the labeling said. But what most people don't do is read.

What's the salt and fat content? What are the additional ingredients listed like preservatives and stuff? How many ingredients are listed as "modified?" Where were the vegetables grown? How far did they travel from the farm to the factory and then back to the stores again where people drive to buy food. That's a heck of a lot of food miles and energy spent!

They have blind taste tests in the videos with regular food from a chef compared to factory prepared foods. Almost all participants said they preferred the fresh food better. The chef called the prepared foods "crime against humanity."

That video series really showed me some stuff I did not previously know. But I absolutely cannot eat pre-prepared or frozen foods - my body rejects them all with violent gut reactions.

I was shocked just how far vegetables had to travel in truck to the various factories.

ancientgirl
March 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
I didn't have the chicken one. I had one that has the garbanzo beans and veggies.

I know it's not going to be totally organic, but this has nothing listed as "modified." There are only two ingredients that look like preservatives, and those are Citric Acid and Calcium Chloride:shrug:

The rest are Chickpeas, water , tomatoes, onions, tomatoe puree, canola oil, peppers, Ginger, sea salt, garlic, tumeric, pomegranti seeds, fenugreek leaves and bay leaves. The salt content seems high, at 250 grams, but I don't have a lot of salt in my diet so that seemed fine for me.

I have no problem having frozen dinners. I always read the label to see if there are any animal products and I didn't see any here so I bought it. I love Indian food and short of spending money I can't afford to spend, I wanted to buy this. It's inexpensive and tasted good. :D

onster
March 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
glad u found something u really liked AG :thumbs up

ancientgirl
March 5th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I had another one today. I can't remember the name, but it was a veggie dumpling in curry. Delicious!