Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

miniature boxers

kara1
March 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
i just need some info on this type of dog. hes looking for a new home because the owner is very sick and cant take care of it anymore.we do have children aged 4 and a just about 6 month old. the dog is 5 years old and is male. this is the only things i know about this dog. I read somewhere a mini boxer is just a mix of a boxer and pug. ive read online a bit but was hoping for some wisdom from you guys

BenMax
March 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
When I first googled mini boxers and got some well fit guy sporting underwear.:laughing::laughing::laughing: (Best google I have had in a while).

This is what I got (other than a great visual from my previous google):

"Thank you for your interest in this excellent hybrid breed: a mix between a select male pug and a choice female toy fox terrier. For a slightly larger version, a male pug is bred to a female Boston terrier, which also produce what some folks call a” bug”, pugston, or mini-boxer. The pug X toy foxes are tan with black muzzles. The pug X Bostons can be similarly-colored, but also can be brindle or black /white. We work mostly with 3 local small-time breeders to produce these dogs. Shortly after birth the pup’s tails are docked, resulting in a hardy dog that has striking resemblance to a normal-size boxer both in physical looks and temperament, yet about the size! Mini-boxers end up weighing 12-18 # as adults, 11-13” high at the shoulders, have straight short coats (normal shedding), with a short snout that allows normal breathing. They make excellent little house dogs: well-tempered, alert and full of play, and yet cuddly and responsive. They are eager to please and train easily. Mini-boxers are excellent with children and other animals. Although this breed has been bred only about 4 years, the record thus far has been good: no known congenital defects, and full of hybrid vigor."

lUvMyLaB<3
March 3rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
that is a funny one benmax!:laughing:

This is yet another one of those fancy "breeds" I bet they are expensive too.. why not? it is so original to cross breed a couple dogs, driving me insane this breed inventing charge a million dollars crap, I love the quotes.. this breed has been around for 4 years, no congenital defects, full of hybrid vigor... yeah.. sounds honest!:rolleyes:

to the OP, good luck! i hope you find if this dog is a good fit for your family and you are able to give him a home, and if you do pictures would be nice! Is he at a rescue or is his family asking money for him? I can't give you any advice I have never heard of them so I don't know what they are like.. I guess expect a mixture of whatever breeds are in him, if it is the toy fox the a lot of energy is a possibility.. Good luck!

BenMax
March 3rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
To see what they look like there is one at the MSPCA here in Montreal. Nice looking dog but in her case not great with others.

The thing is that pugs and bostons are difficult breeds when training etc...they are not the easiest. They are very energetic, stubborn...cute as heck but handfulls. You really need to research these breeds independantly and then find out if they fit your lifestyle. So many make mistakes on taking breeds that are beautiful to our eyes but sometimes their needs and requirements do not fit in to what we are able to offer.

Best of luck to the OP.

(I prefer the mini boxer guy personally.....):)

kara1
March 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
luvmylab, the dog is in a home. but i believe the lady that owns the dog has cancer is not doing very well maybe in hospital. I think she just wants to find a good home for him i dont think shes asking money for him. just looking within family and friends for a home for the dog, as her 1st option.

benmax what was the website that you seen the dog i tried to look it up but not getting anywhere

lUvMyLaB<3
March 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
*awww* poor puppy.. I typed in mini boxer puppies on google and I got the same site that benmax did. haha this thread comes up when you google that too! funny.. ok I found it again, here it is..
http://www.petcitypets.com/breed.html

kara1
March 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
i think she has the pug cross boston terrier because its suppost to be around knee high. I have been wanting a dog for a long time but i got pregnant and didnt want to deal with a new puppy and a new baby at the same time but it wouldnt be my first dog and its not a puppy anymore ive just never delt with these breeds before my first was a poodle terrier cross and my second dog was a heeler mix of some sort from a rescue. But will just half to wait and see the and maybe go meet the dog and see how he gets along with kids is my 1st main concern

erykah1310
March 4th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I have seen a few boxers that have not gotten more than knee hight, registered and out of show lines. They're not mini's they're just out of standard.
could be a Boston too, they look like boxers but are smaller than knee high.
Either way, these are high energy dogs as said earlier.
THe more excercise you can provide for them and mental stimulation the better all around dog you will have. This rings true for almost any breed however, but Boxers have endless energy right up until the day they pass on to rainbow bridge ( or so it seems)

lUvMyLaB<3
March 4th, 2009, 01:45 PM
also I would not believe any of that hybrid vigor and no congential defects cr*p.. they can have any of the issues of the breeds that are in them... Boxers often make awesome family dogs and are great with kids, and with this dogs age he should be trained and fairly calm.. I hope it all works out for you!

kara1
March 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM
thanks everyone i'll let you know what happens