Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are my kittens fighting or just playing aggressively?

kanis
March 3rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
Over the last month or so, my husband and I have noticed that our kittens (10mons) have become increasingly aggressive with each other. We first noticed it one morning when we heard Ukko crying - wanting us to get up and open the bedroom door - and then we heard a high pitch meow. It was out of the ordinary. We've heard it on and off but never found out why. Then recently, I heard Ukko meowing again and then that same high pitch meow. I ran over and found Ukko on his tummy and Zeus straddled on him with a firm grip on Ukko's neck. Since then, they've been fighting aggressively. We're constantly hearing these high pitched meows. It's the both of them. Ukko attacking Zeus; Zeus attacking Ukko. A week ago, I noticed a gash on Zeus's head. We both figure it's come out of this fighting.

Having never had two cats at the same time, it took us a while to become accustomed to their play fighting but we're concerned that this isn't playing but actual fighting. Is this typical 10 month old behaviour? Or is this something we need to be monitoring and discouraging?

14+kitties
March 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
I have a lot of boys (and girls) here who's "fights" sometimes get a little out of hand. If you listen you would think one of them was being killed. Growling, hissing, meowing, etc. It doesn't happen often but when it does it sounds pretty scary. Most of the time they are a happy, cohesive unit. If in between the fights they are getting along ok, sleeping together, playing normally, then I wouldn't worry about it much.

If you catch them in the act a sharp clap should be enough to stop it. Don't try getting in between them. That may lead to an injury on you.
To try to mimimize injury to them keep their claws, front and back, cut back as short as you can without cutting the quick.

If I remember correctly your boys are fixed, right? If not then getting them fixed would definitely help.

catlover2
March 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
At 10 mos. 2 boys can be very rowdy....but the fighting can escalate into more serious fighting if these two have not been neutered. Get them both neutered if you have not already done so.

ancientgirl
March 3rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
When Vlad and Maks get over enthusiastic I hear one of them sort of give that high pitched meow, but then they will break it up and either walk away or keep playing.

Vlad and Oksana have been known to have some major fights. With Oksana sounding like some otherworldly banshee! When I am around, I clap my hands and start walking toward them. Vlad will see me coming and immediately run away.:rolleyes: This happens in phases though. There are times when he's doing this to her daily, and then there are times when days go by and he leaves her alone. The rest of the time, he'll give her a little lick on the head or she will do the same to him.

Your guys might be trying to figure out who's the boss over there.:D

kanis
March 4th, 2009, 10:36 PM
My boys are neutered and I try to trim their nails on a regular basis. They're incredibly cuddly and loving with each other when they're not fighting. Since day one, Zeus has definitely been the alpha. Perhaps it's just the little brother, Ukko, stirring things up? They've just been extra rowdy as of late. Hmmm....

14+kitties
March 4th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Sounds to me like it's a power play thing. They will quite probably work it out themselves soon. If not you could maybe try Feliway or Rescue Remedy or something to calm them a little.