Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Smoke Detector scared our puppy?

Milly
March 2nd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Hi all,
I feel so bad for our puppy right now. She's about 8 months old and is a german shepherd/beagle mix. Anyway, I was trying a new recipe today and ended up setting off the smoke detector a few times! Oops. Each time I was busy running around and waving a towel below the darn thing and didn't really notice how Milly was reacting.

Well, ever since it first went off she's been acting a bit strange. She has been hyper alert, won't leave my side and is visably shaking. She was also panting a bit. The poor thing! I am so tempted to just cuddle her and say "it's ok" but I also know (well, actually I'm not sure) that could teach her that it's the right reaction.

Help! Poor thing is curled up next to me now shaking! She's never been a particularly nervous dog so this is new to me. The alarm went off the first time about an hour ago.

Thanks in advance!

kandy
March 2nd, 2009, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't do anything to acknowledge that you know she's freaked out. I'd go on about my day as if you never noticed that the smoke detector was scaring her. Talk to her in your normal tone, take her outside to play, etc.

And you are right, if you console her, she'll believe that there was something for her to be concerned about. She'll react more to your reaction anyway - so even though the sound itself probably scared her, it was probably your reaction that got her worked up.

She should calm down soon enough - as long as you calm down. :)