Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

City of Vancouver Animal Control Shelter

Scuba
February 28th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I am actually still not sure the exact name for the city of Vancouver shelter. Should it be Vancouver animal shelter or Vancouver animal control? Totally confused, but I just finished my training there and currently just became a volunteer there. I am still volunteering at the Vancouver SPCA shelter, this is not related to that at all.

Today (Saturday 28th of Feb2009) was my training session and it was loads of fun. The trainer/supervisor lady was really funny and great. She is a brilliant teacher, good communication and has that ability to share her knowledge with you in a way that is easy to absorb.

There was a little group of us and they brought a couple of dogs out for us to train with. First up was a PBT/Spaniel cross girl named Cassidy. She was pretty adorable and just loved all the attention. She really liked giving me a sniff (I stopped by the SPCA earlier).

Here is her profile on Petfiner:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13156581

Scuba
February 28th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Then there was a little Golden Retriever girl that they brought out for the new volunteers to work with as well. Her name is Devon, just a gorgeous little girl. Unfortunately I couldn't find a Petfinder profile for her.

Also I found out today after after asking about Astro, that he got adopted. He was so funny and friendly. Just sad that I never got the chance to know him better. But he is in his forever home now, so I am still happy.

After cute little Devon, they had Kesler for us to work with. He is a young Black Lab. Such a handsome boy, full of beans though.

Kesler's profile:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13156678

Scuba
March 1st, 2009, 12:01 AM
Then the newly minted volunteers each got to take a dog out for a walk. I chose a more distinguished lady, her name is Glory. She is a Lab/Husky mix. Since she is a senior, we just took it easy and went for a short walk only. Her coat is really thick and soft. Nice colouring as well, on the picture you can't see the highlights. She was very cooperative with sitting down for me when we crossed the road.

Back at the shelter, I gave her a little session with a zoom groom. I guessed she liked it, her tail was wagging.

Glory's profile:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12982694

growler~GateKeeper
March 1st, 2009, 01:36 AM
:thumbs up Sounds like you had a great first day :D

In the phone book they are listed as Vancouver Animal Control/Shelter and their site says Vancouver Animal Control Shelter & Services, having grown up in Vanc I've always referred to them as Animal Control probably cuz we always bought our dog licences there, they used to be called the City Pound.

hazelrunpack
March 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM
Kesler is a labby...of course he's full of beans. :D Labbies are irrepressible! :laughing: All of the dogs you posted, though, look like real honeys. :cloud9:

Sounds like a great program they have there for training!

Scuba
March 7th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I was running a little later than I wanted and only managed to walk one dog before I had to leave for the SPCA. I checked a list to see the number of walks the dogs have been out for and it turns out my training friend Cassidy had only been out for one walk. Therefore I decided to take her out.

I brought my own mechanic's coverall to wear and it worked out pretty good. Managed to remember most of the stuff covered in the training session and we got out of the kennel no problem. Since I don't know the immediate area very well I just kind of let Cassidy take the lead. With me providing certain inputs as to direction and safety guidelines. Like "NO, we can't just run across the street!", but Cassidy was good enough to listen to me and wait. We just kind of did a big circle of the neighborhood for our walk. At one point we were walking on the sidewalk of a busy street with lots of traffic and big buses going by. Cassidy didn't even blink, she was really calm.

There is an off leash park right in front of the Vancouver City Shelter and since it was a sunny day. There were lots of people with their dogs out and about, most of them running off leash. Since it was my first time walking Cassidy I decided to give myself a lot of breathing room and kept to the edge of most of it. Cassidy seemed like she really want to go and play with the other dogs but since I don't know those dogs and their owners I need to play it safe. At one point a big GSD ran up to us, there was a chain link fence between us (I anticipated and positioned us accordingly). Cassidy didn't bark or growl, just sniffed at the other dog and whined for a bit.

Only thing I worked on with Cassidy on our walk was our positioning. Quite often she would put an obstacle between us and instead of me walking around to her, I would wait for her to come back around before continuing on our walk. I think by the end she was getting an understanding of the concept.

Such a cutie and here is her profile online.

Scuba
March 7th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Forgot to mention that back at the shelter when I got Cassidy back into her kennel. She was just a big suck. Undid the clip and she just leaned right against me and gave me those big brown eyes. Of course I gave in without a fight and gave her loads of belly rubs.

growler~GateKeeper
March 7th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Cassidy is a cutie pie :lovestruck: Sounds like a quick learner too :highfive:

Yup Venables/Prior St and also Clark Dr will be good distraction/noise tests for the dogs, as will Strathcona park especially in summer time when more sports players and skaters are there :D

Scuba
March 14th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Some more updates from the Vancouver Animal Control Shelter (13th of March 2009).

At first I wanted to take Glory out for a walk, but she is taking a rest today and not available so I took Cassidy out instead. She has selective hearing, "Cassidy", "sit" or anyother commands are ignored or not understood unless the treats are out!:evil::D

But something did stick from our last walk session, whenever we approached a lamp post of street sign, she would hang back a little now and wait for a cue from me. Before she used to keep putting stuff between us and tangling the leash.:thumbs up

I am still getting to know the area a little better so there wasn't any specific route that I took Cassidy on, I kind of just let her go where she wanted. Only stepping in as necessary, like not walking into the path of a semi-trailer no matter how good something smells!:eek: Cassidy really reaffirmed to me that she is a confident girl yesterday. Some traffic with big buses and trucks, not to mention quite a few semi-trailers and Cassidy never got nervous once. Took it all in big strides.

Back at the kennel, it was roll over and big brown "I want belly rub eyes" again.:lovestruck:

Scuba
March 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Also lots of the doggies got adopted!:thumbs up:lovestruck:

The next dog I walked had an "Adoption Pending" sign up and her profile is no longer on the petfinder website.:cloud9:

Second dog I walked was Mocha, she is a brown Lab cross. She looks mostly like a lab except her coat is longer than a labs. Her tail was going like crazy when I went to clip her up. We didn't get to go for a long walk since I had to get over the the SPCA before 6:00pm so our walk was only for 20 minutes.

Nothing much really, Mocha sat for me when I asked and she was just happy to sniff stuff on our walk. Such a big bundle of melting sweetest is what she was.

Chris21711
March 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Mocha looks like she could have some Chesapeake Bay Retriever in her Scuba, she is beautifuly :lovestruck:

So are all the others :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the Chessie in Mocha, Chris. And she sure has a lovely smile! :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
March 15th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Cassidy is so cute :lovestruck: :goodvibes: for a furever home soon
:goodvibes: for Mocha :lovestruck:

Scuba
March 24th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Some quick updates:

Kesler - He has been adopted a long time already, I just kept forgetting to update his info.

Cassidy and Glory - Both went to forever homes!

Scuba
March 24th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I went into the VAS to check up on something but since I was there I walked one dog. Her name is Leeva, she is between 1-3 years old. Leeva is a Shiba inu x Lab. She is pretty cute and cuddly.

At first when I went into her kennel she was very nervous, ears back, tail tucked and shivering. So, I just left her alone and sat in a corner in her kennel. Eventually she came up to me and had a good sniff. Then I patted her and gave her a good rub. After a while she was no longer shaking and her body language was much more relaxed.

I just sat with her and gave her some scratches and rubs for about 10 minutes. Once I knew she was comfortable with me, only then did I clip her up for a walk. Once we were out, her tail went straight up and her ears perked up too.:D

We didn't go very far or very long. We only had a short walk, but Leeva did get to sniff a lot of different stuff. She was also really easy on leash and didn't pull.

Hopefully I will get to walk her again.:lovestruck:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13308886

growler~GateKeeper
March 24th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Great news for Kessler, Cassidy & Glory :highfive:

Leeva is adorable :cloud9: I'm sure she'll find her home soon too :goodvibes:

Scuba
March 24th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Great news for Kessler, Cassidy & Glory :highfive:

Leeva is adorable :cloud9: I'm sure she'll find her home soon too :goodvibes:

Hopefully, after I get my second walk with her!:D

She is really cute and so easy to walk, wouldn't surprise me if I didn't get my wish though. No to mention her winning personality.

hazelrunpack
March 24th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Leeva is a beauty! :flirt: Poor girl must be confused...you handled her so well. I hope she finds a wonderful situation soon!! :goodvibes:

Scuba
March 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I had some time and the weather was gorgeous today so I stopped by after my morning after the SPCA (the two shelters are really close).

Leeva : She is still at the VAS, which was really surprising for me. Since she is such a sweetheart and beautiful. When I first arrived, she was still out on a walk. But when she got back I did say hi to her. In the end I didn't take her out for a walk since she had been out a few times already. I thought it was only fair if the other boys and girls got to go out numerous times as well.

Another picture of the pretty girl.

Scuba
March 29th, 2009, 06:32 PM
The first dog I walked at VAS was a girl named Tigra. They have no idea what breed she is, it is a total guess. But her coat is a really beautiful brown colour. All shiny and silky. They estimate her age to be between 7-10 months old. There was an adoption pending sign up on her kennel and I can't find her profile on Petfinder.com so unfortunately no pictures of this sweetheart.

Tigra was easy to walk, no pulling on the leash at all and she was really attentive to what I wanted her to do.:thumbs up:lovestruck:

Too bad it might be the only time I ever get to walk her.

Scuba
March 29th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Since I still had some time, I decided to walk another dog, his full name is Loose Moose. He is a Lab/Shepherd cross, also he is a senior. Moose was a breeze to walk as well, no issues at all. We just took it easy.

Here is a picture of him and a link to his Petfinder profile:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13256147

rainbow
March 29th, 2009, 08:51 PM
:eek: It's hard to believe that Moose Loose is a senior ......he still has a sparkle in his eye. :lovestruck:

Leeva is a real cutie :lovestruck: ....I bet it isn't long before she is adopted. :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
March 30th, 2009, 11:59 PM
:goodvibes: for Tigra :fingerscr this is her furever home

:goodvibes: for Moose & :goodvibes: for Leeva

Scuba
April 25th, 2009, 01:27 AM
It has been a couple of weeks now since I have last been to the Vancouver Animal Control Shelter. All the canine faces were new to me. Never got my chance to walk Leeva again but it is alright, she has a new home now.

First up for walkies was a girl named Perfect Penny, she is a PBT and Whippet cross. She is about 8-10 months old. Penny is petite in stature but has lots of personality. On our walk she picked up a big stick to carry around. She kept hitting me in the leg with it.:laughing: We did some sits and stuff. Penny also took time to relax and stretch out on the grass, of course I gave her some scratches and belly rubs.

Back at the kennel when I went to unclip the leash, she tried to climb into my lap.:D She is such a saucy girl, it was only my first time meeting her and she was putting her tongue into my ear already!:eek:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13394709

Scuba
April 25th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Next up for walks was Parker. As I was putting Penny back into her kennel a kennel attendant was about to put Parker into one of the outside runs. I asked if it was alright if I took him for a walk instead and she said it was fine.

Parker is his new name, he does not really answer to it yet but he knows a lot of basic commands already. I got him to sit for me every time we crossed the street. Parker is listed as a Husky/Malamute cross, he is a young adult. His coat looked kind of patchy with the warm weather that is coming. It was kind of unfortunate that I did not have the time to brush him.

The funniest thing was when he went to the bathroom, he got all excited. Like it was "Look at what a good job I did, am I a good boy or what!". He kept dancing around and wagging his tail. It made picking up kind of really difficult since he kept getting in the way. In the end I asked him to sit, and even then he couldn't sit still. His tail was wagging away like crazy and he still wanted to stick his nose right in my face.:laughing:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13487611

PS. His left ear if floppy and the right one is perky!

Scuba
April 25th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Another exciting thing that happened during Parker's walk was that I saw a bald eagle in the park opposite the shelter. It was just perched in one of the trees in the corner of the park. I thought it was pretty exciting to see a fully grown bald eagle in the middle of the city.

After talking to the staff, it turns out that almost every year a pair of them will turn up. So, I am definitely going to be keeping an eye out for that.

growler~GateKeeper
April 25th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Aww Perfect Penny and Parker are just adorable :cloud9: :cloud9: :goodvibes: for both of them for furever homes soon

Occasionally on a bright sunny day you can see one of the eagles soaring high up over the east side of the city :lovestruck:

rainbow
April 25th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Penny and Parker are both gorgeous :lovestruck: and I hope they find their forever homes soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
April 25th, 2009, 01:04 PM
See, the way we figure it, that post-poop energy is them feeling full of it because, well, they aren't any more. Full of it, I mean. :p

Our guys often get all excited after a successful trip out, too! :laughing:

Penny and Parker are adorable! I love the ears on both of them! :lovestruck:

coolatt
April 26th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I just joined so I could post this question regarding the VACS and this seemed to be the only thread relating to that shelter.

If anyone who voluteers or works there could give me some info that would be great.

We have been going there (and other shelters) for a few weeks now. Last Friday we decided to fill out an adoption form for Penny the PB/Whippet. The adoption form states that it could take four days to process and that only qualified applicants will be notified. Fair enough. On Monday I called assuming we weren't accepted and I just wanted to know what kind of home they were looking to place her in since the person I was talking to the day gave me the impression we would be a good match. The person I talked to on the phone told me the application form had not been looked at. On Wednesday my my partner called and got the same answer. Now we are at Sunday.....9 days later, we are at the shelter and are told that Penny has a bunch of forms in her file that have not been looked at.

I would probably be disappointed if they had placed her in another home but if it suited her better then good for her. What ticks me off is that it's been 9 days and no one has looked at our application?? Plus, Penny has been there at least three weeks, maybe four, would they really rather have a dog sit in a cage instead of adopting it out?

This seems ridiculous to me. Is this normal for this organization? In contrast the Maple Ridge SPCA seems to adopt out dogs within 24hrs and seems to get a new cycle of doges every week but at the VACS dogs sit there for weeks it seems.

Scuba
April 27th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Coolatt

I only volunteer at the Vancouver Animal Control Shelter (VACS) sometimes so I might not be able to provide you the answers that you need. Also, in no way do I represent the shelter.

In my own very limited experience, VACS has a very high turn over rate for the animals. Meaning they get adopted very quickly. Also weeks at a shelter are pretty normal I think. For one thing, all the dogs at VACS are strays. They are all assessed and monitored at first for health and other reasons. That alone takes a lot of time.

I have never been to the SPCA shelter in Maple Ridge, but it is my understanding that the BC SPCA does not do same day adoptions. So, I am a bit confused as to where you are getting the figures of 24 hours for adoption from. They want to find the best homes for the animals, that takes time.

Penny is a great dog and I feel I have been blessed to have been able to walk her. One thing you have to bear in mind is that the shelter will not place a hold on a dog for you. Just because you like the dog and want it, does not necessary mean you will get it. I would love to be able to walk Penny again, but it is always in the back of my mind that the next time I go she might be gone already. I can understand your frustration but you have to understand that it is a privilege not a right.

If you have any questions regarding your adoption process, why don't you go down and talk to them in person? They are very busy and get numerous phone calls a day. If you go there and talk to them, there is a better chance that you will get the answer to your question. As to why your adoption process is taking so long, I don't know the answer to that, but the staff at the shelter are only people. Maybe they made a mistake, your form got misplaced or lost. Your guess is as good as mine.

My suggestion is to go down in person and talk to them, communication is key. Also whilst you are there, spend some time with Penny and go check out the eagle.

coolatt
April 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Coolatt

I only volunteer at the Vancouver Animal Control Shelter (VACS) sometimes so I might not be able to provide you the answers that you need. Also, in no way do I represent the shelter.

In my own very limited experience, VACS has a very high turn over rate for the animals. Meaning they get adopted very quickly. Also weeks at a shelter are pretty normal I think. For one thing, all the dogs at VACS are strays. They are all assessed and monitored at first for health and other reasons. That alone takes a lot of time.

I have never been to the SPCA shelter in Maple Ridge, but it is my understanding that the BC SPCA does not do same day adoptions. So, I am a bit confused as to where you are getting the figures of 24 hours for adoption from. They want to find the best homes for the animals, that takes time.

Penny is a great dog and I feel I have been blessed to have been able to walk her. One thing you have to bear in mind is that the shelter will not place a hold on a dog for you. Just because you like the dog and want it, does not necessary mean you will get it. I would love to be able to walk Penny again, but it is always in the back of my mind that the next time I go she might be gone already. I can understand your frustration but you have to understand that it is a privilege not a right.

If you have any questions regarding your adoption process, why don't you go down and talk to them in person? They are very busy and get numerous phone calls a day. If you go there and talk to them, there is a better chance that you will get the answer to your question. As to why your adoption process is taking so long, I don't know the answer to that, but the staff at the shelter are only people. Maybe they made a mistake, your form got misplaced or lost. Your guess is as good as mine.

My suggestion is to go down in person and talk to them, communication is key. Also whilst you are there, spend some time with Penny and go check out the eagle.

Thanks for the reply. My beef is that it's been 9 days and they are telling me that our application has not been looked at. I actually was there on Sunday and that's what they told me "it hasn't been looked at" and they couldn't tell me when it would be looked at.

One thing you have to bear in mind is that the shelter will not place a hold on a dog for you. Just because you like the dog and want it, does not necessary mean you will get it

I never suggested we deserve to get Penny. I said that if she goes to a better home that would be good for her. Not looking at an application for 9 days is what bothers me. She has been available for adoption for a few weeks now. I think it was around April 8 or so she was available after her spaying.

I am quite surprised how difficult it's been trying to adopt a dog. Finding a suitable dog is difficult to begin with as size and temperment are important. We started looking on craigslist and kijiji and pretty much never received replies to our emails when answering ads. This experience at the VACS is strange as well. I really don't want to buy a new puppy when there are so many dogs in shelters.

Scuba
May 3rd, 2009, 12:28 AM
It was only 13:00 by the time I got off work, still bright and early so I headed over to VAS for some dog walking. I was really surprised to see Penny and Parker still there. In a way I was also secretly glad since I could spend some more time with them.

I only had enough time to walk Penny but I did stop by and say hi to Parker. Not sure if he was excited to see me because he remembers me or if he is just a super friendly goof.:crazy:

Penny was pretty good this afternoon, right out the gate she was being a silly girl. There are some pine trees right outside the shelter and there are plenty of pine cones on the ground. Penny goes to pick one up with her mouth only to drop it when she tries to pick a bigger one up!:rolleyes::laughing: In the end, this little girl got too greedy and tried to get her jaws around a really big pine cone that she couldn't quite manage. So, she had to settle for a plain old stick instead, at least this time it was a little one and I didn't get banged in the shins. Penny also showed some interests in some broken up pieces of wood from pallets but as soon as I saw, I was firm with "hey hey, no." and she would drop it.:thumbs up

She did try to pull a couple of fast ones on me today though. I know she is a super friendly dog and she just wants to go and play with all the dogs that we see, but as she is not my own dog I can't allow that. Penny would balk and lay down when I won't allow her to go and play with other dogs. She would also give me those big brown eyes of hers and occasionally her belly too.:D But I would just short leash her and keep walking, making it very business like. At least Penny didn't seem to be upset with me back at the kennel, we still had a good cuddle after I took her leash off.:cloud9::lovestruck:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13394709

Scuba
May 3rd, 2009, 12:30 AM
Coolatt - Keep going down to the city pound and badgering them about Penny. She is still up for adoption, it is just that so many people are interested in her that they are having a hard time going through all the mountain of paper work. Good luck!

Scuba
May 3rd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Parker was shedding quite a bit the last time I saw him and looked kind of beat up and patchy.:D:o But today his coat looked much better and he is still his usual silly self with his one floppy and one perky ear.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13487611

hazelrunpack
May 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Penny and Parker are both so cute! :lovestruck:

hubby just informed me yesterday that when (yes, 'when' :p) we win the big lottery, we're buying a big chunk of land and setting up facilities to take in all the stray dogs we run across. :D "When" that big win comes, I guess we'll be needing a shelter manager--want a job, Scuba? :fingerscr :thumbs up

Brandykins
May 7th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Aw Scuba - well done, you do a very worthwhile job, bet you get total job satisfaction from it. Glad that the dogs went to new forever homes.

Scuba
June 6th, 2009, 02:22 AM
It has been a long time since I have been to the VACS. Really missed the place (and it is not because there is a gelato place within two blocks that has over 100 flvours).

Only had time to do one quick walk today, it was almost time for the daily afternoon siesta.

The guy I took out was Paddington, he is a Yorkshire Terrier/ Poodle mix.

Paddington's profile on petfinder:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13880743

Scuba
June 6th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Just wanted to put in a plug for a bully girl named Molly. She was giving me the most pathetic "take me home" eyes.:lovestruck:

I really really want to walk her next time.:fingerscr

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13720852

Scuba
June 13th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Update: Paddington got adopted!:thumbs up

It was my day off so I went to the pound to walk some dogs. Today the dog I walked is named Dakota. She is some kind of Australian cattle dog mix. Not sure of her age, but she is an adult. Dakota is on the petite side but she has big dog attitude.:D She was really easy to walk and was very good at the sitting for the gates and kennel door. We didn't go far on our walk, just kind of wandered around.

Dakota's profile:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13933402

Scuba
June 13th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Still didn't get to walk Molly today, but I did say hi to the big sucky girl.

Scuba
June 13th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Also a special mention to Scooby, he was in the kennel next to Dakota's and the poor boy was all wound up watching me take Dakota out. He is such a handsome guy and gave me a big wet kiss.

Scooby's profile:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13883645

growler~GateKeeper
June 14th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Great news for Paddington :thumbs up

Scooby is so cute :lovestruck: :goodvibes: for him, :goodvibes: for Molly & :goodvibes: for Dakota to all find furever families soon :fingerscr

Scuba
June 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I managed to roll out of bed early enough today so headed over to the city shelter to walk some dogs.:laughing:

First up for walks with me was Molly. She was really good, as soon as I stepped into her kennel she sat for me all by herself so I could leash her up.:thumbs up When we got outside, all Molly wanted to do was sniff stuff and take it slow. We didn't actually walk much at all on our 20-25 minutes walk.:rolleyes: Mostly it was just Molly rolling around on the grass and me giving her belly rubs.:D

Molly's profile on petfinder:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13720852

Scuba
June 15th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Next up was Scooby. He was very excited when I went into his kennel.:crazy: But after leashing him up it was no problem getting this big boy to sit and wait at the gates. Once outside Scooby was very easy to walk, no tension on the lead at all. However half way into our walk, Scooby suddenly pulled hard on the leash. Turned out he had spotted a cat. I just short leashed him and kept us going. The silly guy kept looking back over his shoulder for the cat even when we got to the end of the street and were a block away.:loser::laughing:

Scooby gave me a nice big wet kiss back at the kennel.

Scooby's profile:

growler~GateKeeper
June 16th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Molly and Scooby are both adorable :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

:goodvibes: :goodvibes: their furever families come soon to take them home

Chris21711
June 18th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks for sharing these beautiful dogs with us Scuba :thumbs up

Scuba
June 24th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Had a early morning shift at work and got the afternoon to myself so I decided to head over to the city pound. There was on and off rain but I had a jacket. Got to the shelter and took out Scooby. When he saw me with the leash, he got so hyped up.:crazy:

Scooby just wanted to sniff everything today. We didn't see any cats or squirrels but Scooby still had plenty to distract himself with.:D

Silly guy tried to pull a couple of fast one on me at intersections. He would slow down, pause, make like he is going to stop and then suddenly he would try to pull me across the street at the last moment. Too bad for him it didn't work and I still made him do the "sit and wait" every time.

Scooby's profile:

growler~GateKeeper
June 24th, 2009, 10:49 PM
awww :lovestruck: Scooby such a happy guy :D

Scuba
June 25th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Next up was Ollie, he is a mix of some sort. About 6-10 months old. There is no picture or profile for him yet. When I went into his kennel to leash him up, he tried to climb into my lap.:D:cloud9: Ollie also gave me a couple of big wet kisses with his tongue.

Ollie was such a little trooper, half way into our walk it suddenly started to rain very heavily but he just acted like it was nothing. Back at the shelter, Ollie got dried off by me. It was so cute, watching his tail wagging as I am rubbing him down with the towel. He acted like it was the most wonderful thing, when it was something that just needed to be done.:lovestruck:

On our walk, a lady commented on how cute he was and asked whether he was a shelter dog. Right after being complimented on his looks Ollie decided to walk through her flower bed. I apologised right away, but the lady was really cool about it. Her response was "Don't worry about it, my dog does it everyday.".:thumbs up:D

As soon as Ollie's profile and pictures are up, I will post them.

Scuba
June 28th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Been checking the VACS website diligently and it paid off. Ollie's profile is online now and there are pictures!

Ollie's profile on Petfinder:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14032968

growler~GateKeeper
June 28th, 2009, 03:58 AM
What a cutie! :lovestruck:

Scuba
July 5th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Had an evening shift for work, so I went to the city shelter at noon. There were hardly any dogs!:thumbs up Ollie was laid up from getting neutered and couldn't go out for walks. Another dog was at show and tell. Which only left Candy and Scooby.

First up for walks with me was Candy since I saw on the sign in sheet that Scooby had been out less than two hours earlier. Candy is a PBT/American Staffordshire Terrier cross of some kind. She is super sweet and just loves people. I did however get head butted in the face twice by her when I put the collar on her and when I leashed her up. But there was lots of big wet kisses to make up for it. I guess with the hot weather Candy was just happy to take it slow and easy. She just wandered around aimlessly sniffing stuff, happy as a pig in mud. Only thing was that she got a bit annoyed with me when I wouldn't let her have some chicken bones that she found.:frustrated::D

It was loads of fun.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13853648

Scuba
July 5th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Then it was Scooby's turn for a walk. He was super excited to get to go out again so soon! Today Scooby just wanted to have a nice walk and didn't really stop to sniff much. Another volunteer got head butted by him when she said hi to the big lug.:eek: Thankfully, she was OK.

Scooby didn't want to sit for me at every intersection today but I didn't press it. At least he would wait patiently with no tension on the lead on the curb. I did manage to get him to sit coming and going from the kennel and a few time when we crossed the streets so it was pretty good. Poor boy was also really confused when I wouldn't let him have some yummy chicken bones either.:rolleyes: (different ones from what Candy found)

We encountered a gentleman who commented on how handsome Scooby was.:)

Tundra_Queen
July 5th, 2009, 08:08 AM
What lovely looking dogs! It is so great that people like u go and walk those pups. They must so enjoy getting out of their cages. And I would think that u walking them and making them obey commands really helps in them getting adopted faster! Thank u for doing that for those wonderful animals!
Debbie :highfive:

Scuba
July 7th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Tundra Queen - Thank you for the support. I love volunteering with the animals.

UPDATE:

Scooby - Being adopted by a family.
Ollie - All healed up from neutering.

When I arrived at the shelter, I saw a volunteer just returning from a walk with Candy. Since it was raining, Candy had a yellow dog rain slicker on, it looked so cute on her. The first dog I took out was Ollie since I saw on the sign in/out sheet that Scooby and Candy have just been out.

Even though it was raining, Ollie wasn't difficult at all. He was happy as pie to be out and about. Did a few sits for me and was an all round good egg. He only hesitated once during our walk, when we were about to walk pass some people mowing the lawn with a gas powered mower. Ollie also seemed unsure about the leaves blower. He got really nervous and tense so I just crossed the street with him. Poor boy was leaning on me like a big suck the whole time.

Back at the shelter, drying Ollie off with a towel was easy. He just loved the attention and all over rubbing with the big fluffy towel. Ollie just stood there grinning like an idiot with his tongue out.

Ollie's profile:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14032968

Scuba
July 7th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Clyde is a Labrador retriever cross of some type. He is a really easy going and friendly dog. Actually got a play bow out of him when I went into his kennel with a leash. The rain didn't bother Clyde either and he was super excited to go out.

On our walk, Clyde would sometimes like to pull ahead but overall he was pretty easy to walk. His sits were really good, as soon as I asked he would plant his butt. Whereas with Ollie today, he would give me a funny look first "The ground is wet today, are you for real dude!?".:laughing:

Toweling Clyde off was a laugh, he kept trying to climb into my lap and leaning into me. Not to mention giving me a whole bunch of big wet kisses. Ollie was also hollering in his kennel for attention the whole time even though I had already taken him out.

Clyde's profile:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14032933

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Great news about Scooby, Scuba! :highfive:

Our guys love the towel, too--it's about the only thing they like about rainy days. :D

growler~GateKeeper
July 8th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Excellent for Scooby :highfive:

Ollie is adorable :lovestruck: :cloud9:

Scuba
July 18th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Finally managed to find time to get down to the city pound today.

UPDATES:

Scooby - Got adopted.
Candy - Off to see a vet for some allergies. She has itchy skin.
Ollie - Out on a field trip, what a lucky boy! So I didn't manage to say hi.

growler~GateKeeper
July 18th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Awesome news for Scooby :highfive:

:goodvibes: for Candy hope it's not too serious

Lucky Ollie :dog:

Scuba
July 18th, 2009, 02:07 AM
There weren't many dogs that needed walking, so I took out a boy name Duffman. He is a Rottweiler/Lab cross. Super friendly and just happy go lucky. It was a really hot day so Duffman just took it slow. We only wandered around the park for about 25 minutes. At one point he had a piece of leaf stuck to his chin with drool that he picked up from sniffing stuff. I called him over to remove it for him. Duffman came right over and sat down for me. However for my trouble I get a face full of slobber and a wet nose in my left ear.:eek::laughing:

Duffman had an adoption pending sign on his kennel door!:thumbs up

After I took the leash off him in his kennel he pushed me over and climbed into my lap. Kept nudging me for scratches as well!

Duffman's profile:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14140537

Scuba
July 18th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Then there was a lonely girl by the name of Posey howling away in her kennel. She is a young hound/collie mix. Right now she is in heat and can't go out so I just sat in her kennel with her for a bit to socialise and play with her. Posey is so pretty and affectionate.

She gave both my ears a good cleaning. Plus whatever bits of my face that Duffman missed.

Posey's profile:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14032804

growler~GateKeeper
July 18th, 2009, 02:41 AM
:goodvibes: for Duffman

Posey is a cutie :cloud9:

rainbow
July 18th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Another thread that I'm so far behind on so I'll just start anew again. :o

Posey is a sweetie for sure but I hope someone changes her name. :rolleyes:

Good luck to Duffman. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Scuba
July 24th, 2009, 12:12 AM
UPDATES:

Ollie - He got adopted. (Happy and sad:cloud9::sad:)
Duffman - Went to a forever home too.

There was a really cute 10 week old puppy by the name of Harry Pawty, just a typical shelter super mutt mix breed. Such a fun little guy. Got adopted as well and will be going home.

Scuba
July 24th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Only dog available for walks was my friend Candy. She is back from the vet and better.:thumbs up Still has a bit of itching but nothing major. Candy's skin is just a little sensitive at the moment and we have to remember to remove her collar after walks.

She was so happy to go for a walk.:cloud9: We only went around the block once but she stopped to sniff every little thing.:D

Candy was very calm walking pass the runs and kennels with the yapping puppies.:angel:

Unleashing her, she almost broke my nose trying to kiss me.:eek: Also, she kept leaning into me for scratches.

Candy's Profile:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13853648

Scuba
July 24th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Then I got to play with and socialise with a puppy by the name of SCUBA! She is a little GSD/Collie cross. Got lots of sharp pointy puppy teeth! We just spent some time in one of the outside runs. I threw a ball around for her. She would sometimes bring it back to me. The rest of the time, she runs after it, picks it up, drops it and runs full tilt back to me.:crazy: Leaving the ball behind.:D

Scuba also got lots of cuddles out of me. She kept showing me her little pink puppy tummy for belly rubs.:lovestruck::cloud9:

No profile or picture yet.

hazelrunpack
July 24th, 2009, 12:47 AM
A namesake, Scuba! It's kismet! Meant to be :D

She sounds like a doll! :flirt:

growler~GateKeeper
July 24th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Great news for Ollie, Duffman & Harry Pawty :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for Candy for a furever home soon

A puppy named Scuba ........ have you filled out an application yet? :D

Scuba
July 24th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hazel and Growler - I wish I could, but there is just not enough time for a young puppy for me at the moment. Not to mention my bank balance is looking kind of sad at present time as well.

I did think about it, her name and all. Being so cute and cuddly. It is totally going to break my heart when she gets adopted.

Scuba's profile is up now, no pictures yet.
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14243922

growler~GateKeeper
July 25th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Aww Scuba :sad: looks like it's already too late - she's been adopted :)

Scuba
July 25th, 2009, 09:04 AM
UPDATES:

Posey, Candy and Scuba - All got adopted.

rainbow
July 26th, 2009, 03:33 AM
WOW .....they're getting adopted quickly. :thumbs up

YAY for Ollie, Duffman, Harry Pawty, Posey, Candy and Scuba. :highfive:

growler~GateKeeper
July 26th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Excellent for Posey, Candy & Scuba :thumbs up

Scuba
July 29th, 2009, 12:13 AM
It was a hot day, but thankfully the humidity was low. I only took one dog for a short walk and kept it mostly to the shades under the big trees.

His name is Humpty, he is a young lab/pointer mix. Got loads of energy and super friendly. Very strong as well, but is starting to have better manners now. He sat very well for me whenever I asked. Leaving the kennel, at the gate and before we crossed the street. Humpty just wanted to sniff stuff and play. When I squatted down to pick up after him in the park, he took that as an invitation to climb into my lap!:rolleyes::D After I fended him off, he just kept trying to lick my face.:p

I could tell Humpty was really hot, so we just kept the walk short and went back to the shelter after a quick once around the park. Back in the kennel I kept trying to tell him to go get a drink of water, but he just wanted attention. Kept leaning against me for scratches.:D But finally he listened to me and had a big drink out of the bucket. Of course right afterward, with huge slingers hanging from his jowls he wanted to give me lots of kisses.:yuck::laughing:

Humpty's profile:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14140437

Scuba
August 10th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I don't even remember when I was walking, didn't make a note of it and just fixed my computer so this update isn't like my usual ones.

I walked Humpty again, and he is very good for sitting and waiting patiently when asked. Still a little goofy at times, like when I stopped to pick up after him, he ran circles around me tying my legs up with the leash.:D

Back at the kennel, he just wants to play and snuggle.

Humpty:

Scuba
August 10th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I also had a chance to walk Dumpty, he is Humpty's littermate. Dumpty has been adopted already since I last walked him.

He is pretty much just like his brother in every way. Super affectionate and playful.

hazelrunpack
August 10th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Aw, Humpty is a doll! I see he enjoys his Kuranda bed as much as the Pack does! :cloud9: I'm kind of surprised he hasn't been adopted yet--he sounds like a lovely boy!

And welcome back, Scuba...we wuz gittin' worried! :eek: :D

growler~GateKeeper
August 11th, 2009, 03:29 AM
The H & D boys are adorable :thumbs up for Dumpty :goodvibes: for Humpty for a quick adoption

Scuba
August 11th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Swung by the city pound and walked some dogs today. First up was Humpty, he was in one of the outside runs. When I approached the gate, Humpty was super excited. It didn't even look like he was wagging his tail since his whole body was vibrating.:crazy:

Humpty was a really good boy with the "sits and waits". He did manage to find a big piece of beef or pork bone on our walk. Before I even realised what it was, he had it in his mouth. At least he had no issues with me reaching into his mouth and taking it out. The funny part was when I lobbed it away the way he looked at it flying away with longing.:rolleyes:

Back at the shelter, Humpty wasn't interested in scratches and belly rubs at all today.:shrug: All he wanted to do was lick my face!

Scuba
August 11th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Next up was a young Black lab boy by the name of Stewie. He is at the stage where he is really excitable and likes to mouth.

Stewie knows most of the basic commands and sat for me whenever I asked him to, before entering and exiting the kennel. Going through the gate and crossing the street.

When he started mouthing the leash I didn't have a toy on me or any treats. Instead I just picked up a pinecone off the ground and held it out to him. Stewie, got really interested right away and dropped the leash. Later on when he mouthed the leash again, I held out the pinecone for him, this time I let him have it. He was super happy carrying it around.

The thing the totally cracks me up was watching him struggle with the decision of "pinecone or leash". Stewie had the pinecone in his mouth already and still wanted the leash, yet he didn't want to give up one for the other.:laughing: You could practically see the little doggy thoughts going through his brain in his eyes.:laughing:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14387688

hazelrunpack
August 11th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Stewie is such a character!!! :laughing: Those pinecones are delectable, y'know! :D

growler~GateKeeper
August 12th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Stewie is adorable :lovestruck: :fingerscr the purrfect furever home comes along soon

Scuba
August 16th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Went to the city pound in the morning.

Humpty - He got adopted!:thumbs up

There were loads of volunteers and I didn't get to take Humpty out one last time but I did get to walk one really cute PBT cross girl by the name of Giselle. She is fairly young, but very well trained already. Knows lots of basic commands. Giselle can get overly excited really easily but is just so adorable and playful.:cloud9::lovestruck:

Unfortunately I had to cut my walk short with her, as we encountered a lose dog running around. He was a tan (with bits of white on his chest and belly) Lab/Sheperd cross. This dog had a red collar with green tags. When I first noticed him I thought he was tied to some bushes, until he started to run towards Giselle and I. He ran straight on to the street!:eek: The area is really industrial and commercial with a lot of commercial traffic, big cube vans and semi trailers. I took Giselle back right away, and went back to look for the dog right away. Couldn't get him to come to me so I ran back to the pound and told the ladies behind the counter right away. But by the time I went back outside he was gone, didn't see where he took off to. Hopefully he is safe and sound.:fingerscr At least the animal control staffs will keep an eye out for him.

On that note, here is a link to Giselle's profile.
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14412962

She is so cute and adorable, next time I will walk her longer and play with her lots. Plus I will let her give me all the kisses she wants.

growler~GateKeeper
August 16th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Yay for Humpty! :highfive:

Giselle is gorgeous :lovestruck: :goodvibes: for a furever home soon for her

hazelrunpack
August 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM
:highfive: for Humpty!!! I can't believe how much he and Dumpty look like each other! I think the last time I looked at Dumpty's pics I thought it was Humpty! :o Glad they both got adopted already :cloud9:

Giselle sure is purdy... I hope someone comes along for her soon. :goodvibes:

BenMax
August 16th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hi Scuba - I never comment in this thread but I do look often. I have to tell you that I find this thread out of all, so informative and inspiring.

Thank you so much for this thread and the updates. When I feel a little blue, I look here and it keeps me going and doing what I do.:thumbs up

chico2
August 16th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Scuba,nice to see you back,it's always great to read that shelter-pups are adopted:thumbs up
Giselle is very pretty,love her coloring,hopefully she'll get a home too soon,but in the meantime she has you:grouphug:

Scuba
August 23rd, 2009, 01:20 AM
UPDATES:

Giselle - My pretty girl got adopted.

Took two dogs out, first up was Stewie. First thing Stewie did outside was pick up a pine cone.:D We didn't walk very far, the little fellow just wanted to explore. Stewie did pick up a few bits of trash that got his attention, luckily he didn't resist too much when I took them away from him. There was a crumpled up cigarette packet and an empty beer can amongst other things.:crazy: Back in his kennel all he wanted to do was give me slobbery kisses.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14387688

Scuba
August 23rd, 2009, 01:23 AM
Next up was Taiko. This big boy made it very obvious that he wanted to go outside when I walked pass his kennel, so I took him. Right out the gate, he took a long long pee.:thumbs up However, right afterward Taiko just wanted to go back to the shelter.:shrug: So, basically he only had a really short bathroom break.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14310454

growler~GateKeeper
August 23rd, 2009, 03:43 AM
Great news for Giselle :thumbs up

Scuba
September 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Been to the pound quite a few times since my last update, but I have been neglecting to do updates in the thread.

Taiko - Got adopted!

Scuba
September 8th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I had a chance to walk Rusty, a GSD collie mix. He is an adult but acts like a puppy. Playful but well behaved and has good manners. No issues with any of the basic commands.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14511437

Scuba
September 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Didn't get a chance to walk her but Divine gave me lots of kisses.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14426889

growler~GateKeeper
September 9th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Great news for Taiko :highfive:

Divine is gorgeous :lovestruck: :goodvibes: for her & Rusty getting their furever homes soon

Dog Dancer
September 9th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Scuba I love reading your "adopted" updates. Bless you for all the time you give these most deserving dogs. I wish I had the time to do this, one day I'll have time for this.

Scuba
September 10th, 2009, 04:37 AM
This is actually an update for last week. There was a new dog, but he didn't even have a name yet. Let alone a profile, so I didn't post anything about him.

He was super fun to walk and no issues what so ever. The name they have given him is Maddon.

Maddon:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14608544

His one up and one down ears are so funny.

Scuba
September 30th, 2009, 01:43 AM
It has been two weeks but I finally managed to get down to the city animal control shelter.

Saw a really handsome boy by the name of Cyrus. Didn't manage to get to walk him but if he is still around the next time I go, I will definitely try to take him out.

Cyrus
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14740400

Scuba
September 30th, 2009, 01:46 AM
The dog that I took out first was Creampuff (he is a boy). He just loves attention and people. Kept leaning into my for scratches and pets.:cloud9::lovestruck:

Walked very well on leash, listened to commands and was very calm. None of the cars or vehicles going pass on a busy street bothered him at all.:thumbs up

Creampuff:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14743259

Scuba
September 30th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Then I got to take my old buddy Maddon for a walk. He was looking good. I don't think he remembers me, him being friendly and affectionate is just part of who he is.

Very enthusiastic about giving me kisses.

Didn't understand why he would want to drink from rain puddles when there is a big bucket of clean water in his kennel.:confused:

Maddon:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14608544

growler~GateKeeper
September 30th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Maddon, Cyrus and Creampuff (for a male pittiex...seriously :rolleyes::laughing:) are all so adorable :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :goodvibes: for all of them to find their purrfect homes soon

rainbow
September 30th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Poor Creampuff :sad: ...how could anyone do that to him? :wall: And, someone should really change his name. :rolleyes:

I love Cyrus :cloud9: and Maddon is handsome as well. :lovestruck:

Good luck to them finding their forever homes soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
September 30th, 2009, 08:54 AM
So many beautiful dogs,especially Divine and poor Cream-Puff,some evil person really butchered his ears:sad:
I too love to see"adopted"announcements:thumbs up Thank's Scuba:dog: