Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Uhoh Im in trouble

onster
February 28th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I just accidently washed my mom's cellphone in the washing machine.

:wall::wall:

I went to feed diezel today so I wore a coat I never wear that is washable. It has lotsa pockets and I put the cell in one one of them while I was there but forgot to take it out :sad: Its really muddy now that the snow is melting and since diezel has no manners whatsoever (jumps up) and lives outside I figured I should wear something machine washable.

I checked the pockets b4 i washed it but I checked the wrong ones :sad: Oh and I took her cell cuz my cell needed charging and i didnt want to be cellphone less in the middle of nowhere if something happened.

ummmmm yeah how about we pray that given some time to dry it'll work?? :pray::pray:

The only good thing is that my moms phone is ancient ancient ancient sooo i could replace it relatively cheaply.

krdahmer
February 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM
:laughing: I know, it's not so funny for you... but it reminded me of the time I dropped my pager in the toilet at a bar once!!! Nothing to do but laugh really...:shrug::laughing:

I think once water gets in where it's not supposed to especially if it's turned on things get fried inside.... maybe your mom will be happy if it's old... great excuse to get a nice fancy new one! ;) :goodvibes: I can't see her being mad at a good daughter like you, but just in case, hold Bunduk in front of you and tell her he did it! :D:laughing:

onster
February 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM
:rolleyes:oh and hazel...he still has the attention span of a goldfish :crazy::p Other dog came visiting today too and there almost a scrap between them over the food :eek: ..but then the other dog ate all the food again :frustrated:

oh and angeldogs i tried milkbones but he doesnt seem to like them :shrug:

I told my friend he's a good dog but needs training..he doesnt listen when u call him and refuses to do anything like get off u or sit or anything. I tried moving my body to the side so he couldnt jump on me...but then he jumped up on my side! :laughing:

I tried playing fetch like last time but he didnt want to fetch anything. The most I could get out of him was for him to run for the stick sniff it then come back to me :shrug: Even tho I know he knows how to ...hmmmm

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah, she'll have no trouble believing that Bunduk dropped it in the dish pan! :thumbs up

Actually, hazel accidentally did that (the dish pan thing) once with our first portable phone. For two days the screen was foggy and I gave up on it. We went out and bought a new phone...and wouldn't you know it, the next day the first phone was fine and the screen was perfectly clear. :rolleyes:

So did you run it through the dryer, too, or just the washer? Not sure what the heat of the dryer would do to the circuits. :o

But...I will pray for you, onster :D

onster
February 28th, 2009, 06:42 PM
lol kr ive heard lots ppl dropping cellphone in the toilet..my best friend did :p twice!! hahahah

my mom saw the phone :o she was taking the wash out of the machine to put in the dryer. If you all remember the random 25 things thread i said that when something 'bad' happens I laugh...so she was holding up her phone :mad::frustrated: water was moving about in the screen and I was giggling :o lol. surprisingly i didnt really get yelled at...she told me i best deal with the situation quick..ie tomorrow.

I have lotsa fido dollars...maybe I can put some towards a phone for her :thumbs up

Diamondsmum
February 28th, 2009, 06:42 PM
onster Iv done that .. take out battery layphone & battery on clean towel let dry overnight or take hair dryer to it.;)

Winston
February 28th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Onster take the phone apart. Battery and anything that will xome out! Place a fan on it for few hours till its COMPLETELY DRY..MAY TAKE A FEW HOURS.

You may loose anything you had in memory but it might still work after!

Cindy

onster
February 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
lol im typing with one hand and blow drying the phone with the other hand as we speak :D

No it didnt make it to the dryer..i think thats a good thing!

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Diezel's just too enthralled with his new friend, onster. :D He can't get enough of you.

So was it the same visiting dog, or a new one? :dog:

onster
February 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM
thanks ladies!!

I turned the heater on in my room (portable one) and will place phone near the heater overnight (not too close tho!). Im blow drying it on and off now.

Ive taken off the casing and the button pad thing as well as the battery and sim card.

Now I just have to make sure bunduk doesnt eat any of the compenents :crazy: He was eyeing the card :evil:

----

Here's pics from today. Diezel's friend (or arch nemesis :evil:).

He was following me around my car. This was just after him and diezel snarled at eachother prior to other dog eating Diezel's food. I was a bit uneasy.

Yeah, I think he likes me. :D

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2009, 06:53 PM
He's such a cutie! :cloud9: Is there any place you close him into in the barn so he can eat in peace? Seems like his 'buddy' there has figured out his feeding schedule :rolleyes:

Good luck with that phone. :D I never tried the hair dryer on ours, just air drying. :o

onster
February 28th, 2009, 06:58 PM
lol I wish it was that he cant get enough of me hazel! I think he's bored of me!!! He kept barking at birds in the sky again and running laps across the farm, going out of sight. Everytime I pulled the gate to close it though he'd come running and whine :rolleyes:. I'd stay for a bit but then he'd run off again chasing imaginary things :shrug:

The other dog almost got ran over today. Scared the heck out of me!!! This red Suv drove by and the dog started barking at it then darted in front of it!! the car beeped then the dog started running alonside the car all the way down the road. I wonder if they were the owners?

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM
The other dog almost got ran over today. Scared the heck out of me!!! This red Suv drove by and the dog started barking at it then darted in front of it!! the car beeped then the dog started running alonside the car all the way down the road. I wonder if they were the owners?

I hope so :frustrated: I can't believe they're letting their dog run like that :sad:

Does the dog ever follow your car when you leave?

onster
February 28th, 2009, 07:06 PM
He's such a cutie! :cloud9: Is there any place you close him into in the barn so he can eat in peace? Seems like his 'buddy' there has figured out his feeding schedule :rolleyes:

hmmm good idea hazel maybe ill suggest that to my friend :thumbs up I felt so bad for Diezel that even tho id run out of cans from my friend I went to store i get my kitties food from and bought him two cans of merrick and went back again, he wolfed them down! I also got him bisuits/treats from old mother hubbard - peanut but he didnt like them. I hope he doesnt get the runs though :pray:

onster
February 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
No the dog has run down the road and out of sight both times Ive seen him before Ive even left. He seems to eat and then leave :rolleyes:

I told my friend today that they need to find a solution for this dog :o Not that I dont feel for this dog but its not cool that he eats all Diezels food and just roams like that! I think they need to have a firm talk with the neighbours :shrug: If he does get hurt he doesnt even have a collar on for people to know who he belongs to!

hazelrunpack
February 28th, 2009, 07:26 PM
:frustrated:

:fingerscr that Diezel's Daddy has an idea about keeping Diezel's meals safe, though :D No wonder Diezel can't put on any weight :rolleyes:

growler~GateKeeper
March 1st, 2009, 12:47 AM
Diezels' friend doesn't exactly look likes he's overfed either, he probably isn't getting much at home :sad: or is burning it all off running all over the countryside :frustrated:

Good luck with the phone :fingerscr

Scuba
March 1st, 2009, 01:09 AM
Love the new pictures Onster.

Not sure if these ideas would help:
1) Try to feed Diezel separately in the barn (is there a door you can close?).
2) Distract him with a toy or treat when he jumps on you. Hold it up to his nose and then move that away from your body. Keep it low by his nose so that he is standing on four legs as you do this though. If you hold it up chest height, he is still going to try to stand up for it. If you lead and direct his head this way, you can control a lot of his body movement.
3) Definitely do not push him off you, it is not a safety thing as he is friendly with you. It is more a behavioral thing. If you push him off you, mostly likely he will think it is a game. "If I jump on Onster, she will push me off. We are wrestling, this is fun!" what a great game. This will turn into a bad habit, since he is getting some sort of reaction that he finds rewarding.
4) Get better treats than Milkbones, there are a lot of good quality treats out there that are inexpensive. Keep in mind that Diezel might not like treats or is selective in the treats that he likes. Some dogs will eat anything, some nothing and some will love Milkbones (only very small percentage from my own experience).
5) Dogs will respond to treats, praise and toys. Some only one of these things or any combination thereof. Takes experimentation to figure out though. For example a dog that doesn't response to treats as a lure in training might be willing to do anything for his little ball (literally anything).
6) Diezel and his friend might not be fighting, some types of playing with dogs can seem very aggressive and scary. But is actually harmless and very fun for them, but since I didn't see it myself I don't know. Was there any play bows?

Hope that is helpful.

onster
March 1st, 2009, 09:53 AM
Update: I turned on the cell today, everything works ( i called my house) but the screen is dull. maybe I blew a light in it? I turned it back off and will let it dry more.

Scuba thanks so much for all that! Angeldogs had suggested milkbones to try and fatten him up a bit :thumbs up Unfortunately he doesnt like them :sad: I dunno if Diezel is skinny but they want to fatten him up more since he lives outside he needs the fat layer for warmth I guess. He used to get 2 cans plus apparently the kibbles in the barn a day (now he gets 3 cans). Are there any treats you suggest? I went into petvalu and told the girl working that i had no idea bout dog food but wanted canned food that is 'super yummy' - she suggested merrick. He really liked it :thumbs up She suggested the old mother hubbard peanut treats but he wasnt a fan. I was thinking next time ill just get him hotdogs like someone suggested. Is there any treat that u find dogs really like? Preferrably soemthing higher in fat so it helps him put on weight :thumbs up He doesnt seem to get too excited when I tell him he's a good boy and give him patts (he just looks at me like im crazy lol). He does come whenever I have a treat in my hand but then with the milkbones/peanut trats he would take them in his mouth then drop them and run off. Guess they werent yummy enough.

I thought of getting him a ball (he doesnt have any toys) next time so we can try to play with but Im worried he wont give it back then he might swallow it :eek: He already 'stole' 2 food bowls :rolleyes: lol after he is done eating he picks it up and runs with it!

There was no play bowing or anything. For the most part they seem to function like the other one isnt even there. The only thing I would classify as the beginings of a scrap was when the other dog came over to eat Diezel's food. They made this growly snarly noise and both dogs jumped in the air at eachother but then Diezel just backed off and came to me.

As for pushing him off - I do do that :o but now I understand why he jumps right back up! He's playing!! lol. I wont do that anymore. I believe my friend's husbands plays with him by wrestling with him. It seems like its the only thing he really knows how to play but its not reallly something Im willing to do. I hope I can find something entertaining for him to do.

I found out he is fairly young. He was a puppy last summer so 1-2 yrs. My friend also told me they were thinking of getting a trainer.

Im going to feed him today too later in the afternoon - Ill let you guys know how it goes.

otter
March 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM
Onster, you sure have made that Diesel one lucky dog! You are making a huge difference in that poor boys life, for sure :thumbs up

A suggestion for treats - try chicken weiners, they are super cheap and most doggies go crazy for them. I'm not sure why but they are a bit better than the regular weiners for doggies. My Molly wasn't much of a treat fan but she really liked those weiners. Oh, and taking treats and dropping them might not be cause they aren't yummy enough, maybe just cause he doesn't want to stop and take time to eat them just yet, he'll come back and eat them later :D

For another yummy food you could try a couple of cans of Tripe (Tripet or Before Grains) - beware though, it's SUPER stinky!!!

For toys you might try a big ball, like a soccer ball or something that size. He can play with it but would be less likely to "eat" it.

Oh, and so glad to hear the phone is working... but maybe keep an eye out for a good deal on a new one, surprise your mom with a present sometime?

Hope all goes well this afternoon!

Scuba
March 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM
Hi Onster, glad that you found my ideas useful.

Some more suggestions, take them with a grain of salt though.

1) Sounds like food aggression, definitely not play. I would try to feed them separately if possible.

2) A lot of the treats I use are really small and good for training purposes but "for fattening Diezel up" I don't think they would work well. Also keep in mind, food that is rich (high fat or high protein) can cause diarrhea in some dogs. For example things like liver treats or any organs. We are talking about 100% organs here, stuff that they slice really thinly and then dry like jerky (hard to the touch). Not liver that has been made into a biscuit.

3) Physically check if Diezel is too skinny, you don't want to put on too much weight for him. Run your hands down the sides of his body. You should be able to feel his ribs. They shouldn't feel bony, like "OMG he is just skins and bones!" (too skinny). Neither should it be difficult for you to feel "Is that a rib?" (chubby in that case). You should be able to distinguish each rib with very slight finger pressure as your hand travels down his side. With shorter haired dogs, a visual check is often enough. Diezel has a thick coat, so feeling it is the way to go.

4) [Ties in with (3)] Diezel looks like he has a pretty thick coat, are you sure he needs the extra fat? He should have both a thick under coat and a guard coat. Wolfs only live in shelters when they are puppies, they get born into a den. Most of their adult lives, they just live outside all year round. So that is something to keep in mind.

5) If you are worried what he would do with the ball. Try a big ball like Otter suggested so that he can't get his jaws around it, but he can still have lots of fun pushing it around. Or you can find a harder plastic ball. Tennis balls are cheap and fun, but I don't prefer them. Personally I like the orange hockey balls. Keep in mind that any toy usage should be supervised. Or get him some logs? My friend has two PBT that plays with big logs (individual dog preferences differ - some will prefer a stick to a ball). There is a really tough ball made by the company that makes the Chuck It called the Ultra Ball. The ultra ball will fit the cup on a chuck it and is similar in dimensions to a tennis ball.

6) Try not to "play wrestlemania" with Diezel when he jumps on you!:D If you are consistent and firm, he will eventually figure out what is acceptable or not. As soon as he isn't jumping on you, praise like crazy and give him his toy or treats (at his level so he won't need to rear up for them). He will learn that it is more rewarding and fun when he isn't jumping on people.

Hope that helps and have fun.

ancientgirl
March 1st, 2009, 12:46 PM
Thank goodness the phone is working again.

I feel terrible for both Diezel and the other dog. Diezel because he can't seem to eat his food without the other dog trying to steal it from him. And I feel bad for the other dog because he's obviously also hungry and not being cared for by his owners. :sad:

onster
March 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM
Hi guys

thanks otter & scuba for the suggestions! AG - the other dog is not skinny but its unfortunate he's allowed to roam.

We had a breakthrough today! I was gonna start a new thread since ive terribly threadjacked this one...but its my thread so its all good :D:p

Update 2: My mom says she doesnt mind her cell like this (she really doesnt care or use it much). So ill put the money I wouldve spent on the cell towards an even more fantastic mother's day gift this year :D Its the 21s of March in Egypt...so coming up.

Dizel update: My friend passed by me today to drop off more food and to go with me to feed him. When we got there we could see the other dog in the distance ( he came running). My friend started yelling tho "NO!" and he turned around and ran the other way :shrug: She said thats what her husband does. So Diezel ate all his 3 cans today then the other dog came back and my friend said its ok if he wants to play/ have treats. Surprise 1: Dog was wearing a collar and tags!!! This is the first time id seen him with a collar. He licked the bowl clean and then I gave them both treats. Now surpirse 2: I told Diezel to sit and *drumroll* he did!!!! I gave him the treats he was rejecting yesterday (peanut) and surprise 3: he ate them!!! :crazy:

I ended up breaking the dog bone biscuits in half and giving diezel half and doggie half (didnt get a chance to look at his name). After a while the dog ran down the street and out of sight.

I dont know what happened with Diezel today but he was such a good good boy!! He has mastered sit!! He was getting so good he was sitting before I even told him to :rolleyes: haha. Surprise 4: He's learned how to shake!!! After I got him to sit I picked up his paw (lifted off the ground) saying shake..then thats a good shake good boy and gave him a treat. Afer a bit I would tell him, sit - shake and then he would sit and lift his paw for me to shake :D:D:D

Seriously I have noooo idea what happened today its like a lightbulb turned on in his head and he decided to listen and learn. I am so so so very proud of him. He's quite smart eh to learn sit and shake in 1 hour yesterday and 1.5 hours today? I know those are quite basic tricks but for a dog that was refusing to listen to me all and everything im very proud. He hasnt been jumping up on me as much. He still does but it snot like the first few times i went where he was up on me allll the time. Now he jumps on me for a second or 2 then gets off. I know the tricks I taught him or useless but it gives us something to do to interact with eachother since he doesnt fetch or anything. I wonder if he already knew them but he jsut wasnt listening to me??? Im pretty sure I taught him shake. But it was weird that yesterday i was trying sit sooooo much and he wouldnt listen and today i say sit once and he does!!! I repeated several times and 9/10 he listened to me.

Also, when i was playing with him I found bones on the ground that it looks like he chews on. They seem to be raw bones but they are totally white (cleaned thoroghly by him). They look like beef bones. I know its not something he caught himself becuase the bones are cut cleanly (like with a saw). I'll ask about that (where he gets them?)?

But yeah even tho yesterday i was getting frustrated today I had soooo much fun :D

onster
March 1st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Oh and i didnt take pics today cuz battery was low so Ill charge it tonight since im going tomorow again :thumbs up

Maybe ill take video of my new star pupil too :D

Funny thing is i tried to play fetch again with diezel but no go then wehen I came back home Onnie innitiated a game of fetch with this spring. It was too cute and kinda ironic lol.

ancientgirl
March 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Maybe Deizel was good because the other dog wasn't there eating his food.:D

hazelrunpack
March 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM
Maybe he was trying to impress his mommy. :shrug: "See, Mom? I'm not so scary. I'm a good boy :angel:" :dog:

But for whatever reason, good job, onster!!! :highfive:

onster
March 1st, 2009, 05:53 PM
I dunno why diezel was good but he was really really good today. He was paying a lot more attention to me today.

Hazel, my friend only stayed for 5 mins and then for the hospital. I taught him shake after she left :thumbs up

I asked my friends husband if he knows any tricks like sit/shake and he just replied saying he 'sometimes sits on his command' but thats about it. So now I know I taught him the shake :D and reinforced the sit.

The other dog didnt really know any commands either but for a while there I had them both sitting for me.

hazelrunpack
March 1st, 2009, 08:04 PM
That is just so excellent! :highfive: Both of them sitting, too! :thumbs up

What did your friend think when you went in with Diezel? Was she a little more relaxed about it?

onster
March 1st, 2009, 08:25 PM
lol my friend is too funny.

When we got there she saw the dog in the distance and panicked and iw as still opening the cans she goes omg omg noooo diesel has to eat b4 the other dog comes and she grabs the can and throws it over :eek:

Then of course diezel didnt eat it, tho apparently he used to. So she told me I spoiled him :crazy:....then she yelled at the other dog while i emptied out diezel's food. My hands were right there in his food bowl when i was emptying the cans and he didnt care. I even picked up the bowl while he was eating for a bit and he didnt care at all...absolutely 0 food agression :thumbs up

She was a bit miffed that when we came up in our seperate cars diezel ran up to my car (along the fence) and was barking and wagging his tail and kinda ignored her :p I told her when she comes inside he will love her. I think if I taught him to stay and "off" then she would be better. She gets scared when he jumps up - his is sorta huge. Also she is really tiny so i think its harder for her to keep her balance when he jumps up.

The hubby told me it would be great if i could teach him new tricks :D Theortically his instructions to his wife that i shouldnt go in the gate...but i suppose he mustve figured out that I do go in if im teaching the dog shake :angel:

Im feeding him tomorrow again but I hope the other dog isnt there because I dont want to yell at it :sad: