Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a bite?

boo_boo
February 26th, 2009, 11:50 PM
When i got back from my week vacation my 2 year old cat had a patch of hair missing from it upper part of its tail. There are 2 little, what appears to be cuts and one slightly larger one. My cat constently is licking them and they are always bleeding they do not appear to be getting any better. I want to take the cat to a vet to see if its anything serious but im only a student, and they charge like $100 just for a visit.. So i was wondering if anyone knew if its an infection in the cuts, and if there is anything i can do to hopefully help with the healing, i did but some ointment, but i really do not know what else to do. Or if i should be concerned and take him to the vet?

TacoGrl
February 27th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Yes, you should take your kitty to the vet...open sores...bleeding...cat fussing with them...again, go to the vet.

Cats are expensive...as are dogs...you should really start up some kind of savings account for such situations.

Most vets only charge $60-70 for a look-see...talk to your vet and see if they give a student discount...not over the phone, but in person...develop a relationship with your vet and most times they will work with you.

:fingerscr

Love4himies
February 27th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Some human ointments can be toxic to your kitty. The only way you will get an answer is by taking your kitty to the vet. Phone around, you may find that vets charge different fees for a visit.

ancientgirl
February 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I've got the same advice, take your kitty to the vet. $100 sounds like a bit steep. Are you sure that's an appointment cost and not an emergency visit? Call around and if you can't get a regular vet, maybe the Humane Society has some low cost vet appointments.

It could be a bite or something else. Is your cat indoor or outdoor? If outdoor, all the more reason to get him/her to the vet.

Etown_Chick
February 27th, 2009, 08:43 PM
The problem with ointments is that kitty will lick them off - who knows what they do internally.

14+kitties
February 27th, 2009, 09:56 PM
If the cat is constantly licking them he is trying to keep them open so the infection can drain. You need to get to the vet asap. It happened to me once years ago when my cat (indoor only) got out and got into a fight with an interloper. The cat will need some salve (not human) for the bites and antibiotics. The infection will probably be deep down. It needs to be taken care of before kitty gets much much worse.
Did you go on holiday for a week and leave your cat outside? Or did you have someone come in and feed it? If it is the second one then they person who was looking after it should be able to shed some light on what happened. Good luck.