Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Older Dog Training

Cinnabear
August 4th, 2004, 02:57 AM
I have a 18 mo old shihtzu/poodle. We got her in the beginning of June. She is not fully housetrained. Lately she is getting worse. Yesterday she peed at least 3 times and pooed. I do let her out quite a bit. She is spayed.

I would have thought she might get hints from my other dog going outside, but no.

I am slowly loosing my patience with her.

Please help and thanks.

Lucky Rescue
August 4th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Shih tzu can be difficult to housetrain.

What method are you using to train her?

Cactus Flower
August 4th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Where did you get her from? She might have housetraining issues from her previous owners/shelter.

Be patient and be consistent.

I have never in my life had a puppy- I have always rescued adult dogs (the youngest was 2). My method is likely archaic, but for the first few days I have a new dog, I tether them to me. I think this helps us bond, and it also helps with the housetraining. The first time they squat to pee in the house I am obviously close enough to catch it. I usually clap my hands loudly, which stops them from what they were about to do, and go straight outside to the "pee spot". After they pee outside I make a huge fuss about it (unless the dog is very skittish, then gently praise). After a few days of this routine, they catch on quickly and are fine off of the tether!
Maybe you could try tethering him/her to you so you can catch the squatting for a few days until it is routine? Not sure if your schedule will allow this.

Cinnabear
August 5th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Thanks, I'll try the leash. Hopefully she'll catch on quick.

Luba
August 5th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Is this something new? Has something changed in the house OR was she like this since u got her.

My guess it may be because of her environment before u got her.

Lucky Rescue
August 5th, 2004, 11:13 AM
IF this dog was not housebroken, you can't expect your other dog to train her, or expect her to train herself.

You need to train her like an unhousebroken puppy, and that means never letting her out of your sight in the house. Take her out at regular intervals. Do not PUT her out, because then you can't praise her when she goes.

Tell us how you are trying to housebreak her, and we'll have more suggestions.