Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy won't eat! HELP!

anna331
February 26th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I need some advice about one of my yorkie’s recent behavior: I adopted him roughly a year ago with my boyfriend and although it was my idea and I’ve always wanted an adorable little teacup puppy, Bruiser took an immediate liking to my boyfriend. He seemed like a happy puppy but he always ignored me—I tried everything to get him to like me (constantly tried to play with him, take him to dog parks, take him for walks throughout the day etc.) Well about a month ago we broke up and he moved out. Bruiser still lives with me but has been noticeably depressed and refuses to eat. I’ve taken him to the vet and they keep telling me to try different dog foods but he still won’t eat them. He doesn’t respond when I try to play with him either. I am very worried about his health and mental state--- does anyone have ANY suggestions about what I should do?

PS I received a lot of messages about one of my previous posts concerning a carpet cleaner I used called Get Serious… some of you wanted to know more: to answer a few of your questions (based on my knowledge as someone who has been using this cleaner for awhile) Its not an enzymatic cleaner (like natures miracle), which basically means its really safe for people with allergies (like me!!). The other difference between these two cleaners is Get Serious completely removes any trace of Pheromone- This is the first cleaner I have encountered that could do this (ones that “neutralize” the pheromone really just cover it up- my puppies have always ended up feeling the need to re-mark their territory after I’ve used a neutralizer). Also the reason why I wanted to spread the word about this is because pet owners are using toxic and non biodegradable cleaners- BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT and for our animals! If anyone wants more info head over to Petsmart’s website- they can probably be of more help then me! I hope this answered some of your questions! Glad I could help!

ashtoreth
February 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM
this might sound a bit harsh, but it's mostly to analyze the situation

does your ex want the dog back?

MIA
February 27th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Ignore your dog, he will start to crave you and come to you, just do the basics feed/walk don't talk sweet or coo him. As for food, pick ONE food put his food dish down for 20 minutes at the same time every day, and remove it, even if he doesn't eat. A dog won't starve himself but he will train his owner to wait on him hand and foot and yes this can go one for a week, I had a rescue that didn't eat for two weeks. It's the way it goes. Dogs are smart and you are feeding his frenzy. At the end of the day he's a dog not a little child or baby, start treating him like a dog, get him out for walks and some fresh air and he will come around, once you see a difference then you can start cooing and babying him but not until he changes.

It's not a matter of your dog liking you, it a matter of your dog not knowing who to follow, I bet a dollar your ex didn't coo him as much or didn't follow the dog around trying to make best friends with him......