Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

...and that is why I love animals unconditionally

cpietra16
February 26th, 2009, 11:58 AM
This was from a newspaper article...

A homeless one-year-old baby boy in Argentina, was saved from freezing to death, by a group of stray Cats, who kept him warm by snuggling up to him after the boy wandered away from his father.
Police officers who found the boy, were surprised to see how the cats snuggled up to keep him warm, during freezing nights, which would otherwise have claimed his life.

They also licked the baby boy, as he ate scraps foraged by them.

When the police approached, the cats instinctively surrounded the baby to protect him, and hissed and spat at the police as they tried to pick him up, in Misiones, Argentina.

The tot was rushed to hospital, where doctors suggested that he had indeed been kept alive by the care his feline friends had administered to him.

Policewoman, Alicia Lorena Lindgvist, found the boy beside a canal in the Christ King district, on Wednesday December 17th.

"I was walking and noticed a gang of cats sitting very close together. It is unusual to see so many like that, so I went for a closer look, and that's where I saw him. The boy was lying at the bottom of a gutter. There were all these cats on top of him, licking him because he was really dirty,"she was quoted as saying.

"When I walked over they became really protective and spat at me. They were keeping the boy warm while he slept," she added.

Alicia also noticed that scraps of food were lying by the boy, apparently brought to him by the Cats.

The boy was taken to a local hospital where he is recovering from his ordeal, and the doctor treating him, stated that if it had not been for the Cats keeping him warm, he would most certainly have perished in the freezing temperatures.

She was quoted as saying:
"Those Cats knew he was fragile, and needed protecting,"
The police have found the baby's father, who is himself, homeless.

The tot's father has admitted that he had lost him several days ago, while collecting cardboard to sell.
He even revealed that his son had always received good care from cats.

Explaining how the boy could have survived due to the cats' behavior, a spokesman for Thames Valley Animal Welfare, which deals with feral cats and strays in Berkshire, said: "They would have viewed the baby like a big hot water bottle. Cats will cuddle up to anything to keep warm, even dogs."
He added: "In our experience of cat colonies, when a mother has a litter, all the other cats will go and fetch food. The baby could have been feeding off the scraps they brought.

14+kitties
February 26th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

ancientgirl
February 26th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Explaining how the boy could have survived due to the cats' behavior, a spokesman for Thames Valley Animal Welfare, which deals with feral cats and strays in Berkshire, said: "They would have viewed the baby like a big hot water bottle. Cats will cuddle up to anything to keep warm, even dogs."

I'd like to think these cats felt this baby was in need of help and took care of him. Not that they would cuddle up to anything. People aren't THAT warm out in the cold.

This is a really amazing story.

Love4himies
February 26th, 2009, 06:29 PM
You are right AG. Animals have an instinct to be protective over babies of other species, we see it all the time between cats and dogs, cats and bunnies, etc.

Thank you for sharing that story.