Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Has this happend to you ?

Stewart
August 4th, 2004, 01:56 AM
I have a 4yr old German Shepperd and until I had her never realised the very poor attititude of some people towards this particular breed ,I also exspect other owners of other large dogs may find likewise.And not just from people who dont own dogs but are genuinely frightend of dogs,This I can understand.But what really gets me is when you meet other dog owners with thier dogs and youve seen them letting thier dog run around with others and when you approach they get thier dog back on the leash quickly.I have also had people pick up thier little pooches and cross the street.I dont look threatening,And I usually state that my dog is friendly to other dogs.Do others in other countries suffer this sort of discrimination I wonder? I dont exspect people to actually like my particular choise of breed as I believe each to his/her own, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.Just interested in othr oweners exspieriances :confused:

Cactus Flower
August 4th, 2004, 02:17 AM
I answer you with an emphatic "YES"!!!!!

Raja (my Great Dane) is constantly causing people to suddenly cross the street, hide their children and pets, etc.

The most baffling experience was when she and I went to "PetCo", our pet store. This is a pretty big store, where you are allowed to take your animals inside with you. Everyone is walking around in there, shopping with their dogs (on leashes, of course).
There is a part of the store where they provide pet grooming. Raja and I walked into the pet grooming part one day to see if they sell nail polish. This woman was standing there, and when we walked in she literally jumped backwards and flattened herself against the wall, gasping. We weren't right up close to her, and I said "Oh, she's friendly", referring to Raja, who was just standing there calmly. The woman grabbed her chest and said "But I'm afraid of dogs!!!!!!!!' and literally ran out of the place!
Afraid of dogs and standing in PetCo, which is literally teeming with dogs walking the aisles and such? What the?? And I wonder what she was going to get groomed?

moontamara
August 4th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Do you think that people are overreacting, or are they just reacting? As a toy poodle owner, I sympathise with you, but can definitely understand why the small dog owners are frightened. How are we supposed to know whether or not you are a good owner and whether or not your dog is going to hurt our dogs?

I certainly wouldn't be rude to you or your dog, and I wouldn't cross the street either, but I would almost definitely pick Casey up if we were about to cross paths. If you seemed fine and our dogs were interested in each other and there was no sign of fear or aggression from either, I'd happily let Casey down to meet your dog after talking with you -- but my first reaction would be to pick him up. It's a safety issue. I react the same way when there's a car coming down the alley behind our apartment. Actually, come to think of it, I pick him up on a crowded street too, as it's easy for him to get stepped on... The concerns with small and large dogs are very different. Of course, that doesn't give anyone the right to be rude to you or your dog!!!

moontamara
August 4th, 2004, 02:23 AM
By the way, I love german shepherds. absolutely beautiful. too big for an apartment though and I'm allergic...

Just reread your post and caught the fact that you yell out that your dog is friendly to other dogs -- in that case, absolutely no excuse for the crossing the street. I'd still pick Casey up though, unless he didn't show any fear at all.

Cinnabear
August 4th, 2004, 02:47 AM
For me, I would tell my dog to sit until the other dog has gone by. It has nothing to do with your dog being a gs. My dog "might" be bad ie not listening and has anxiety. But my dog wants a friend most of time.

I think people are just cautious, because they don't want to be in any bad situations. Especially if their dog is yappy and willing to fight.

Cactus Flower that is so silly of that woman in Petco, like why was she there if she did not like animals. Strange.

Stewart
August 4th, 2004, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=Cinnabear]For me, I would tell my dog to sit until the other dog has gone by. It has nothing to do with your dog being a gs. My dog "might" be bad ie not listening and has anxiety. But my dog wants a friend most of time.

I think people are just cautious, because they don't want to be in any bad situations. Especially if their dog is yappy and willing to fight

Cinnabear,I have done exsactly what you suggest had her sitting quietly waiting for the oncomming dog and owener to pass with the other person still preffering to cross to the other side not an elderly person either a middle aged lady. I do understand peoples caution and respect thier way of dealing with it, I am just interested in others exspieriances not wishing to grind any axes. :)
cactus flower, Your story amazed me you really hit the spot ! ;) Good one ! :)

Jewelfine
August 4th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Out of protection for my puppy (13 week old lab) and my older dog I always bring them in close when another dog of any size comes our way. My biggest concern (especially with smaller dogs) is that they haven't been trained well and will nip or attack my dogs. My beagle was attacked by a Schnauzer (sp?) once so I am on guard. I think it is just good pet ownership manners to control your dog when walking by. I do believe however that some people do over react and I don't think there is much that you can do about it unfortunately. :(

:-)
:confused:

chico2
August 4th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Stewart.I am not currently a dogowner,I was many years ago,now I have cats.I LOVE dogs or I should say anything with 4 legs and feathers(not combined :D )however,I would always cautiously approach any strange dogs.
It took me a long time to get up close and personal with my neighbors Rottie,a big cuddle-bug!!
I have no fear of German Shepards,having been around some in my lifetime.I think you can tell by the owner and the behaviour of the dog on a leash,but of course you can always be wrong.
The other dag as I was mowing the grass,a man passed by with a beautiful little Whippet,he was obviously afraid of the lawnmower,so I shut it off to let them pass and this little bugger surprisingly growled and was going to attack the lawnmower :D
I feel,if people fear your dog,it's their problem,I would not move out of the way,if I know my dog is not a danger to anyone...but once again it's the media who have planted this fear in people.

Lucky Rescue
August 4th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Yes, this has happened to me. I have a pit bull, who is a people loving, smiley faced wigglebutt. I have had rude comments made in my hearing, had people cross the street, and even had people who were petting her and loving her up recoil in horror after I answered their question as to her breed.

But I don't blame these people because I know their only information about this breed has come from the sensationalistic and hysterical vultures of the media. I try to educate if someone seems open to it, and Chloe always wins people over when she has the chance.:)

The only barking, growling and lunging I have encountered on our walks all came from small dogs - poodles, pugs and mini Schnauzers mostly. When these dogs behave like this, their owners do nothing and act as though they cannot hear or see them. I think it's very irresponsible to let your 10lb dog lunge and bark at a big dog.

I am a very responsible owner, and put my dog in a "heel" when we pass other dogs. She is well trained and well behaved, and it's very hurtful to see people hate her when she loves them. :(

Cactus Flower
August 4th, 2004, 10:07 AM
it's very hurtful to see people hate her when she loves them

Aww, this statement broke my heart :(

sammiec
August 4th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Aww, this statement broke my heart :(

I really is heart breaking Cactus!! I have had people yell "killer dog" as we were waiting at WalMart. Briggs sees these people and her butt starts going just as fast at her tail; all she's thinking about is "Mommy, let me go give kisses!!!!" :p But she doesn't hear the comments and see the rude looks!! All she cares about is that it's just another person for her to kiss!! :( Or another dog for her to play with!! When she pulls to get to the other dog all she wants is to have a new friend, but the people view it as a potential dog attack, they recoil in fear, pick up there dog and move to the other side of the road. Briggs is left standing there, tail still wagging, wondering why her new friend is leaving so quickly!! :(

glasslass
August 4th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Moonie, I totally agree with your approach. I know my dog. I know his body language. I know if there's an altercation, my dog will be the one injured. I don't trust other owners to be responsible if I don't know them personally. I love dogs, but I'm cautious. If I can tell that my dog is becoming apprehensive, I'll pick him up and just greet the larger dog and owner. I want Den-Den to see and feel me acting normally. If I see that there's no problem and the large dog owner has good control, I'll put Den-Den down to sniff noses, etc. I know that if he's tense, he's apt to snap if the other larger dog comes on too strong before he's ready for it. It's all a matter of being cautious and not wanting my dog to get hurt. I also want him to socialize and be at ease with other dogs. I don't want him to sense fear from me either. I am also careful to control him if he's rushing in to greet a smaller dog. I try to sense if he's scaring the smaller one and needs to be leashed in closer until the other owner indicates it's ok to let him get closer. A small dog can be hurt so severely and so quickly if an owner isn't vigilant. Den-Den was recently injured by two neighbor's dogs. I don't want him to start fearing large dogs and will be taking him to locations like Petsmart to try to give him some positive experiences.

MBRA518
August 4th, 2004, 11:57 AM
The only barking, growling and lunging I have encountered on our walks all came from small dogs - poodles, pugs and mini Schnauzers mostly. When these dogs behave like this, their owners do nothing and act as though they cannot hear or see them. I think it's very irresponsible to let your 10lb dog lunge and bark at a big dog.

I am a very responsible owner, and put my dog in a "heel" when we pass other dogs. She is well trained and well behaved, and it's very hurtful to see people hate her when she loves them. :(

Yup... I have a Rottweiler and experience this too...

My dog does not meet new dogs well, she was attacked twice as a pup at an off leach park and now as a defense mechanism she gets very defensive with strange dogs of any size, especially when on leash - I know this so I avoid strange dogs... Since way too many small dogs are not trained (apparently it's cute for a 10 lbs miniature whatever to attach the big dog :rolleyes: ) I tend to avoid them... if the dog is on a long lead and not heeling I will cross the street, just easier for me to avoid it than be yelled at when my dog barks after their's attacks mine, although mine is under control and their's isn't my dog is the bad one. :eek:

I will walk by dogs that are heeling - or otherwise under control, but i tend to avoid the little ones.

mastifflover
August 4th, 2004, 12:07 PM
I have to agree with Lucky most of the dogs that are aggressive and lunging and barking at my dog are small white fluffballs and most dogs that people carry. Since and this is generalized but most of these dogs have no socialization and no discipline because everytime they do something wrong they get picked up and told no in a cutsy voice this has absolutlely no effect on training a dog. My dog has been attacked by a JRT and the owner thought it was funny that he went after my big dog and my dog did nothing. I said if you think it is funny wait till my dog gets pissed off with this thing biting him and I am sure you wont find your dog in my dogs mouth very funny.
Please train your dog and teach it some manners before a dog with not as much patience decides to defend itself and your dog gets seriously injured he still did not get it are these people totally dense. And they want breed bans mine starts with JRT and these small vicious dogs. But they certainly don't grab a headline like a pit or rottie or a mastiff.

Lucky Rescue
August 4th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I said if you think it is funny wait till my dog gets pissed off with this thing biting him and I am sure you wont find your dog in my dogs mouth very funny

Right. When I had my last dog, some neighbours had two teeny Yorkies that they allowed to run free, and they would race after my 80lb dog, barking, growling and biting his legs.

I KNEW my dog would'nt hurt them, but another dog sure might! One bite would kill them. :mad:

daisy18216
August 4th, 2004, 01:25 PM
I am a PROUD owner of a GSD, Pit Bull and Pit Bull Mix.

I have encountered a neighbor (while I was pregnant w/my youngest son) who stopped me while I was walking my Petie (PB) and he asked me if he was a Pit Bull, I said Proudly yes he is. Then this guy started making the rude comments about my Petie who was standing their wiggling his little butt wanting to lick this guy and be petted.

This guy was asking me questions like, how does he get along w/other dogs, I said fine, I have 2 other dogs beside him and they all get along fine. He said what about other dogs, I told him my neighbor has a bichon and he gets along fine w/that little dog too. This guy was only looking to see if I would say anything bad about my petie, and when I didn't he was getting mad.

Then the guy goes well your pregnant, how is he around kids. I said he's great around kids I have 2 small children at home.

Then he started to bad mouth Pit Bulls in general so I walked away knowing that this guy is a total jacka$s and that I was wasting my time trying to tell him that pit bulls are not the way the media makes them out to be. That they are friendly dogs who love to give kisses and want attention.

Lucky for me I saw my hubby who was a police officer in our town at that time. He saw that I was upset and asked me what was wrong, I told him about the neighbor and what he said about Petie. Hubby wasn't happy and went to the guys house and told him to not say anything about our dogs as he doesn't know them. And that he is not to say anything to me again, and hubby said someother things to him.

I have to admit that at first I didn't want my hubby to bring Petie home ONLY b/c of what I heard about the breed from the media, but when hubby brought him home for me it , it was the happiest time for me.

I love my dogs and I do try to educate people about the breeds, Now if they would only listen (some do).

Cactus Flower
August 4th, 2004, 08:05 PM
All very interesting and valid points on this thread.

I just wanted to add something:

It doesn't bother me when people cross the street in fear. I know that Raja is a formidable pooch and can seem a bit intimidating. If I were the one walking my little poodle or something, and Raja came waltzing by, I'd pick up my poodle, too! Better safe than sorry.

But there's another side to these fearful reactions- I can't count how many react in fear - and I also couldn't count how many people say "WOW WHAT A (BIG, PRETTY, whatever) DOG!!" and literally just rush right up to her and slobber all over her, cooing and petting - without a moment's hesitation to ask if she is approachable.

I'll close on a funny story, in regards to the smaller breeds being more prone to snapping: Recently I went to my chiropractor (who is a HUGE dog-lover), and he lets Raja come in with me. Well he just got a six week old pomeranian. So I'm sitting in the reception area, and Raj is reclined at my feet, and around the corner comes this little pom. The pom and Raj touch noses, sniffing. The receptionists start giggling and commenting about how cute this is, one little puffball and one huge dane........then the puppy, as if realizing the mountain she is sniffing is a real live DOG, goes absolutely berserk snapping and barking at Raj!
Raj jumped straight up- like a cat does, I swear- STRAIGHT UP and bolted for the door, scared to death!!! I thought she was going to run right THROUGH the glass door, so I shrieked, too. What a scene that was! That little puffball scared the dickens out of Raj!

MBRA518
August 4th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Well I just had an issue with this tonight...

I have been taking Rosie with me nearly every day when I ride for the last month or so... the new suppliments she's on are working well enough for her to come more often. Anyway... while I always have a lead with me, she is usually off leash - she's great around horses and only ever barks at mine when he's being silly... she doesn't even chase them in the field when they are running and playing - she just sits and watches... anyway, while I usually try to keep her away from other horses, unless I know the horse is ok with her, we happened to find ourselves among other riders from the next door stable yesterday. Even though Rosie was perfect and heeled perfectly to my horse and didn't even look at another horse, and no horse even looked twice at her as we passed by... people complained. And many of them mentioned having a problem with the "rottweiller"... not the Dog.. the "rottweiller" :rolleyes: Give me a break. She all of 70lbs (so it's not even like she's a huge dog) and didn't do one thing wrong.

Oh well, I will now put her on a leash whenever any other horse is in the area... or try to ride when no one else is out, other than the people I know are ok with Rosie.

The lady who owns the stable next to where my horse is (and the person who relayed the message to me) loves rottie's, mine included... was even going to get one when they were in their last home but her neighbors went crazy when they heard she was going to get one :eek: So she didn't - I mean why P off the neighbors if you don't have to i suppose (they got a rescue mutt instead) - but isn't that just appaling! One of the neighbors even told her they would call the cops if she got a pup???? for what? Some people :rolleyes:

Lucky Rescue
August 4th, 2004, 09:48 PM
loves rottie's, mine included... was even going to get one when they were in their last home but her neighbors went crazy when they heard she was going to get one So she didn't
:eek:
Wow. When my neighbours are paying my mortgage, then they can dictate what kind of pets I'll have. Until then they can....well, you know! :p
My nutty neighbour put up a fence to protect his kids from my vicious dog and expects me to pay half. Don't think so. :rolleyes:

There is a HUGE Rottie up the street from me, and he is the best behaved and most well trained dog around here. People are ignorant, and gobble up the crap from the media whole, but they are only willing to believe the bad stuff.

Cactus Flower
August 5th, 2004, 12:21 AM
The reason the media reports so many rottie/pitbull/large breed attacks is, as they say in journalism: "If it bleeds, it leads". Those stories draw the most attention. I don't believe they are intentionally trying to give any specific breed a bad name.

When a large breed dog attacks, it tends to do more damage than, say a chihuahua would. A chihuahua attacking a teenager on a skateboard would not be newsworthy, because the level of damage it inflicted would be far less serious than if it was a rottweiler.

Statistics show that the smaller breed dogs bite more people than pit bulls (I can't remember what was top of the list of "who bites the most", but I'm pretty sure it was the poodle), but because a pit bull does more damage when it bites, those stories make it to the news.

(GlassLass I'm not poodle-bashing, I know Den-Den is as sweet as they come :))

If we truly want the press to stop reporting pitbull (etc) attacks, because it gives people the wrong impression of the breed, we ALL need to start calling or emailing the station stating that we will tune OUT if they continue reporting them. We could even use their own psychology against them and say "I don't like seeing these disturbing accounts, and will no longer support any station who broadcasts them" (counteract the "if it bleeds, it leads" philosophy).

LavenderRott
August 5th, 2004, 12:45 AM
I have been fairly fortunate and get very few negative comments about my Chase. She is a favorite at the local petstore, always gets a scritch and a treat and the customer's (rarely the same every time) always have kind things to say about my big girl.

Yesterday, my neighbor's neice came to my sliding glass door with my neighbor's daughter following close behind. Shania is all of 2 1/2 years old and very precocious. She knocked on the door and asked if Chase could come out and play. Most of the toddler's on my block learn about big dogs from Chase.

krdahmer
August 5th, 2004, 02:08 AM
I would have to say that I see that kind of reaction a lot, I don't have a dog but I know that people I know well have that attitude. I love larger dogs and have found that most, unless trained to do otherwise are very friendly and sweet animals. I still believe nurture over nature... I think that a few irrisponsible pet owners and the hyper-active doomsaying media has really given big dogs a bad rap! Besides the most viscious bites I've ever had have come from dogs that were barely a foot tall!

melanie
August 5th, 2004, 03:32 AM
ok, big venting happening here, so i will just get it of my chest. i am a normal looking woman, i do not dress wild, act wild or do anything to make me look irrisponsible. my baby girl (german shep) is 8yo and very very well trained. ppl walking past see her, she walks close to me on the left side and is alwasy perfect, never pulls, or lunges, if a person watched us for 5 mins they would see she is well trained. i even get her to do various tricks and we do some training excersises in the field, often it is a disply to other owners that she is a good girl as i hope they will let her play.
i find it incredibly insulting when regular dog walkers who see us often still cross the road, or pick it up, i have seen their little dogs attack passers by for no reason. i have never given them any reason to think charlie is bad, i on the other hand have seen their dogs act like psychos and am actually afraid of some of them. and yet they have a big play group and charlie is never allowed to play, the fear in their eyes when they let their untrained dog come across the field and go raging at charlie, who just stands there wondering why she is getting a friend without a human. it really hurts sometimes, like said previously she just wants love, love, love, and they think she is a bloody killer, i feel sorry for her as she is so happy and desperatly wants to play with the others, the way she looks at them sometimes, it is like she is being punished for being a spunky big girl..
and it is insulting as i wonder what sort of person they think i am, do i look irrisponsible, i dont think so, and yet they treat me like we have done something wrong and i am untrustworthy. whenever a dog comes toward us of lead i always call out she is friendly are yours?? often the owner replies yes as their dog comes charging in to attack, ahhhh, it makes me mad..
poor poor charlie and other big babies, these p[pl are what i call breedists, racist toward various breeds, ahhhh again.. oh but you will get a totally different response when my husband walks her (he is a very big man) (australia here so diferent attitudes else where perhaps), (inserting big sarcasm here) well he is a man and if a man has a dog it muuust be under control (yeah right, he always lets her do anything she wants), but a small woman, well how could she train a big dog and have it under complete control, it just makes me FURIOUS, so half of them are sexist as well as breedists, ahhh it just killlllls me. poor babies. (thanks for letting me vent, whew that feels better i needed it) :D

Stewart
August 5th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Melanie, I whole heartedly concur with you,I started this thread to find out if this was experienced by others as I said earlier I have no axe to grind its just great to know we arnt on own here, As you can tell from some of the other responses ;) Also as others have said bad media publicity and poor understanding by others leads to the stand offs.I think next time iI see another owener pick up thier pooch I might do the same and see what thier reaction is :eek:

moontamara
August 5th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Stewart, I don't think anyone took offense to your post or any of the posts on here -- we're pretty much all dog lovers here, and even us small dog owners appreciate the many merits of a lovely large dog. Sorry to hear that there are so many prejudiced people out there! Very interesting thread!!!

sammiec
August 5th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Melanie, I whole heartedly concur with you,I started this thread to find out if this was experienced by others as I said earlier I have no axe to grind its just great to know we arnt on own here, As you can tell from some of the other responses ;) Also as others have said bad media publicity and poor understanding by others leads to the stand offs.I think next time iI see another owener pick up thier pooch I might do the same and see what thier reaction is :eek:

Stewart, I did not take offence to your thread. I think this is an excellent topic!! :D I think it's just that when we think about it and talk about it, it just bringing the frustration to surface. It's a very difficult topic to cover because we all in some way are faced with prejudice on a regular basis while walking, shopping, playing etc. and there's unfortunately no easy solution... :(

MBRA518
August 5th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Statistics show that the smaller breed dogs bite more people than pit bulls (I can't remember what was top of the list of "who bites the most", but I'm pretty sure it was the poodle), but because a pit bull does more damage when it bites, those stories make it to the news.

I beleive the tops on the bitters list is usually min Poodles, because people often don't train them, and Dalmations, because they are often bought as family pets, which they are not appropirate for - combine that with all the mental and physical issue from years of bad breeding and it is not a good scene

sammiec
August 5th, 2004, 12:15 PM
IDalmations, because they are often bought as family pets, which they are not appropirate for

But how can Dalmations be dangerous when they are viewed as heros beacuse they ride around in fire trucks?!?! *sacarsim* I know too many people that have had a difficult time with aggressive dalmations that bite, growl, and nip; I don't trust them. That's just me though - it doesn't mean that they're not cute! :p

Many Shepards are police dogs, therefore you should buy one to protect your house, and a pit bull - well we all know they are just a menace and should be exstinct. *please note the sarcasim* :rolleyes:

Cactus Flower
August 5th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Melanie:

"Breedists" - how clever!!!! I love it!

you will get a totally different response when my husband walks her
This is interesting- I wonder what's behind it.
Could it be that when people see a woman with a big dog (versus a man with a big dog), they assume that she has the dog for protection, therefore they assume it has been trained to be aggressive or to not allow anything to approach her?

Sammie:

I think next time I see another owener pick up thier pooch I might do the same and see what thier reaction is
This comment had me spitting coffee!!!!!!! Hilarious!!! Can you imagine? Scooping up our big dogs, wearing this exaggerated look of concern, staring fretfully at their poodle/chihuahua/daschund...

mastifflover
August 5th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Okay I am here to vent. Last night I was taking Buddy for his evening walk and I run into idiots just like everybody here they cross the street make rude comments about the vicious Mastiff, you know all the usual crap. But last night this woman was walking her puffball (maltese) off lead. Buddy was on lead because I saw her coming and I do not want people to be afraid since he is a big boy and I always shorten his lead so they feel more comfortable. He really could careless about most of the people he passes and does not leave my side. This dog comes tearing down the sidewalk barking its little head off lunges at Buddy and bites his leg so I proceed to put my leg out to hold it back while the owner saunters down the sidewalk calling her untrained dog and it totally ignores her then the little bast*** bit my shin and it hurt broke the skin and was bleeding not badly but not the point. She finally gets there and picks the thing up and starts to walk away doesn't say a word. I proceeded to call her and she kept walking. So I follow her telling her that her dog bit me and she starts to blame my dog. So I pulled out my cellphone and called the police the whole time following her. I think she thought I was kidding. I followed her home and she just walked inside. I waited outside her house for the police. When they got there I told them what happened and they knocked on her door, she came out and started to blame my dog. The cop had seen the bite on my leg and knew my dog did not do it obviously. Well duing this whole ordeal the cops notified animal control and she now must appear in court and will most likely get a muzzle order. The cops said they will be there. Both are dog owners pits and rotties I laughed when they told me. They said they are sick of these people with small dogs who take no responsibility for them they said I should sue her. Won't do that. This morning there was a note on my door from my neighbour who saw the whole thing and wanted to let me know if I needed a witness he would be there. He knows my dog would not hurt anyone or any dog. Thanks for letting me vent.

sammiec
August 5th, 2004, 03:07 PM
WHOOO HOOO Masstiflover!!! You're great!! Thumbs up to you!!! It's about time that the tables turn!!! I'm glad that you took care of this and that ignorant lady will get what she deserves. :mad: :mad: To tell you the truth I am quite surprised that the TO cops came to this call.. That's great!

Cactus Flower
August 5th, 2004, 03:09 PM
:eek: :eek: OH NO!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

How is your leg and how is Buddy's leg?

I am so glad you called the cops and are holding the owner responsible!!

Cinnabear
August 5th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Good for you Mastifflover. :) I don't get how people think they can get away with that. What are we that blind and deaf to see and hear that dog being a nuisance? I hope she smartens up now and leashes and controls her dog.

mastifflover
August 5th, 2004, 03:22 PM
I luckily live in the downtown area so there are always cops around and I never mentioned the breed of dog that bit me, so dispatch probably assumed on of those vicious breeds (Pit, Rottie, Mastiff ha ha ha )My leg is fine and it never broke the skin on Buddy. But I was also very pleased that he did not retaliate which the cops said will benefit me in court. I can't wait till we meet again.

Stewart
August 5th, 2004, 04:11 PM
mastifflover i was sorry to hear your story :eek: Boy when i thought of raising this question i never in my wildest dreams imagined some of these happenings including yours , And i thought I had, Had enough ! I am truely humbled :eek:

glasslass
August 5th, 2004, 06:30 PM
(GlassLass I'm not poodle-bashing, I know Den-Den is as sweet as they come :))

No offense taken - As I stated previously, I know my dog, I know his body language. When I see him tense up, I pick him up to remove him from possible injury, well aware he might be the one to cause it. I'm not doing this out of fear of the larger dog, just being realistic that my little guy is feeling fearful. I do try to alleviate his apprehension by talking with the other owner and letting him get used to the other dog's presence and oftentimes end up putting him back down so they can get acquainted.

I do want to make a couple points.

As a poodle owner, I am very much aware that they are a prime example of what happens when a breed is popularized and exploited by BYB's and puppy mills. I know of many poorly bred examples that perpetuate the image of the snappy, high-strung, neurotic foo-foo dog. I hate the stereotyping of poodles as much as you rottie and pittie owners. I'm always hoping that people will see what a poodle truly can be when they look at my Den-Den.

As many times as you big dog owners encounter untrained small dogs with irresponsible owners, we small dog owners encounter untrained big dogs with irresponsible owners. I've experienced other dogs lunging at Den-Den. Den-Den has learned to be cautious approaching a larger dog as a result. When I pick him up, it's because I recognize he's needing a little time to acquaint himself before he lets down his guard. I don't mean to insult anyone or their dog. I just want to protect Den-Den until I know it's ok to put him down. I feel he is my first priority.

Stewart
August 6th, 2004, 02:52 AM
glasslas I think you are talking good responsible sense in your approach. Originally, what i was meaning is the type of oweners who dont even try or want to let thier love of thier lives mix . And as a matter of fact my GSD is going to stay at a friend of mines next week while we fly away for our holiday/vacation and this friend of mine who is an exspierianced dog owener is baby sitting his mothers poodle because sadly his mum has recently had to go into hospital. Both dogs have met before at his place and the poodle Skippy who is male neutuerd and my GSD Gypsey who is female neutured get along fine.they will be spending a whole week together ! ;)

Catt31
August 6th, 2004, 12:49 PM
I hear ya guys on this one too!! I just got back from a week camping trip and well, as most of you know, Brick is a big boy...and a big suck to boot!! When people walk by or we are out walking, they move over, or shuffle their kids behind them. I tell them he is friendly, then they cautiously come over, if at all. Yes, he looks intimidating, and sounds intimidating, but his bark (which is rare anyways) is just a "hello"..which is what I told one lady... "Wait till you hear his pissed off bark, then you'll know the difference". Soooo many people compliment Brick on how handsome he is, and how well behaved he is, which makes up for the people who say rude things and make faces at my baby when we walk by. I agree with you Cactus, it is heartbreaking when you hear the comments and you KNOW that it is just the opposite. Brick would lick anyone to the bone before he bit anyone! And glassy, I too agree with you about knowing your dogs body language and knowing how he will react to certain situations...that is a responsible pet owner. Many are not and don't care about others. Brick will rip my arm off if I don't let him get his hello sniff in when we pass by a dog...but I always ask the owners if its ok - just common courtesy I guess. Anyways, good thread Stewart, wish I had gotten to it sooner!!! :D

Stewart
August 6th, 2004, 01:15 PM
catt31 I was very very surprised at the response to this thread :o But Ihope by allowing some folk to get things off thier chest it makes life better for them I know for me personally its been a real eye opener to hear some of the tales :eek: And I know that whatever happens from other oweners who avoid us, We,My dog and I are both thankfull life threw us together ;) And just like your dog mine loves to meet people and all things four legged also only to be friendly not a bad bone in her !