Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Starting RAW for 8 wk old pup

Chantal.
February 24th, 2009, 09:18 PM
So April 1st if all goes well:fingerscr I shall be the proud new mom of a the most adorable male border collie. I'm getting him as an 8 wk old, haven't asked what he will of been fed at the breeders but I'll ask. Right now I'm assuming kibble. I don't feel right about kibble though, with all the reading I've been doing it seems I could only trust VERY expensive ones, and I would still feel much better feeding raw (and my wallet would too). But more so about how my little guys health. A few questions though on what I've read.

1) I've heard cold turkey works best and I'd rather not feed kibble at all but is this the same with a small pup who was fed kibble? I also heard kibble and RAW shouldn't mix, so if it's better to wean him off kibble how do I do this?

2) I want to start with chicken so how should I approach this? What cuts should I give a pup and should I feed bone right away or grind egg into a minced chicken deal? Which bones are appropriate, how long should I wait to introduce them and in what fashion?

3) If the pup likes them I want to feed veggies and other stuff how long should I wait to introduce this one I recognize that the pup is doing good on chicken?

4) What other kinds of meat, when and in what fashion should I introduce them?

I know I can be more creative when I get used to all this but I want to ensure that the pup get's the right nutrition he needs and that he doesn't get sick while I'm learning these things. I feel much more scared starting this with a pup than if I had an adult dog.

My biggest thing is how do I go about introducing raw to a puppy?

Oh! By the way, meet Jude :cloud9:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/ilovehighlander/3weeksold2.jpg

List
February 25th, 2009, 09:48 PM
First off congratulations! And secondly, good for you for wanting to go raw!:thumbs up

1) I would just go cold turkey. Simple and then you don't have to worry.

2) Start with just chicken for a week or two. No organs or egg, until stools are good with just chicken. Your pup should be able most chicken bones. The easiest is starting off with chicken breast quarters (with rib and wing).

3) I would wait a couple weeks as the pup adjusts to the chicken. Then slowly introduce the new food and see how it goes.

4) Chicken (best place to start), chicken organs --and then from there you can feed whatever you have access too. With my guys it went chicken, pork, turkey, beef, fish, lamb, etc....

Just remember not to worry to much about it. Feed a good variety of foods. And if your worried, pick up "Raw Dog Food" by Carina Macdonald. Its a great book to get you started!

cell
February 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Congrats on the new pup.
I have a question for the raw feeders, what is the "Typical" raw feeders opinion of non meat additions to the food, such as eggs, oils, beans vegetables and fruits? etc? add them yes or no? I've not read a lot on the topic as I don't have a dog yet but when I do get one I would like to think about raw type feedings since commercial pet food is scarier then the food we eat ourselves.... (though not by much)

erykah1310
February 26th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Congrats on the new pup.
I have a question for the raw feeders, what is the "Typical" raw feeders opinion of non meat additions to the food, such as eggs, oils, beans vegetables and fruits? etc? add them yes or no? I've not read a lot on the topic as I don't have a dog yet but when I do get one I would like to think about raw type feedings since commercial pet food is scarier then the food we eat ourselves.... (though not by much)

Nope nothing added what so ever during raw feeding.
When we get the dogs back on raw ( fall winter spring)I feed prey model raw so its only organs, bone and meat.

MerlinsHope
February 26th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Hi Chantal

This puppy at 8 weeks is probably still too young to feed it the way you are proposing to feed it.

Here is a puppy recipe that should be considered until at least 2.5 - 3 months old.

10 ounces goats milk
1 cup whole milk yogurt
1 tbsp mayo
1 egg yolk
1 ounce cooled boiled liver water
1 ounce shredded meat or fish
1 dropperful of liquid infant vitamins ( optional)

Slowly with the above introduce/ offer large cuts of meat with bone attached so that they learn to pull and tug meat off of bones. For calcium, crushed eggshells in the egg are fine - you can offer some small shredded bits of meat with the large piece just to get the puppy used to the taste, smell and textures.

Importantly with puppies please try to avoid cutting meat into bite pieces, just give enough to encourage the puppy to start pulling and yanking, give huge or large pieces so that they learn not to gulp and learn to rip and tear with patience.
You are not limited to chicken, any meat/ fish is fine.

The idea is over the next month slowly reduce the milk and yogurt and up the quantity of meats. Careful with organs as your puppy can choke on them because of their size, it is safer for a small puppy to shred them. Normally if they were pulling the organs out of a carcass, the organ would come out in pieces , not as a whole piece of organ, so the level of choking danger is pretty much eliminated.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3460/3212220447_eefd8b2262.jpg?v=0

PS - irregardless of what you may hear, please try to avoid fruits/vegetables.
They generally contain high amounts of sugar or salts, and sugar is linked to joint inflammation in dogs and is not part of their required diet.
Unless vegetables are 'juiced', they offer very little or no nutrition to your dog.

Cheers
MM

Chantal.
February 26th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the info merlin. I honestly had no clue how to go about it.

Liver water? like boil liver and use that water? If I'm being clueless right now I appologize.

Infant vitamins? Any kind recommended for humans will do?

The mayo? What kind of benefits is in it?

And using this recipe is this for one meal right? I will be feeding 4 times a day till probably 6/8 months.

Sorry for all the questions I just want to do everything right and not hurt my little guy unintentionally.

MerlinsHope
February 26th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Liver water? like boil liver and use that water? If I'm being clueless right now I appologize.

Hi Chantal - never apologize and keep asking questions yes, boil some liver and use the water.

This recipe was given to me by a sharpei breeder who feeds raw.

Infant vitamins? Any kind recommended for humans will do?

I really don't want to speculate on the vitamins because some people DO use them, many people don't, you have to make a judgement call on that one or speak to more breeders who raise puppies on raw.

The mayo? What kind of benefits is in it?

FAT.. unlike humans who get their energy from carbs, dogs get their energy from fat, so fat is a good thing!

And using this recipe is this for one meal right? I will be feeding 4 times a day till probably 6/8 months.

This really depends on the size and activity level of your puppy. This could conceivably be enough for 2 or 3 meals, I'm not sure. You have to estimate 2% of your puppy's body weight should be food, so if your puppy only weighs 16 ounces, his daily intake at 2% of that should be 0.032 ounces ( approx 1/2 ounce) of food for the day.

Sorry for all the questions I just want to do everything right and not hurt my little guy unintentionally.

Spend time speaking to many people, visit many websites and speak to breeders who offer raw regime to puppies.

Just type in RAW PUPPY into your internet search and you'll come up with all kinds of resources, books, egroups and information.

Best of luck
CHeers
MM

Chantal.
February 26th, 2009, 10:31 PM
thanks again for all the info Merlinshope, i'm having so much fun learning about it all and I even think I'm going to base this semester's research paper

Sib.HuskyMom
February 28th, 2009, 08:15 AM
when I was researching raw for my huskies, I came across this website which I found really useful.

It's a siberian husky breeder who feeds all her pups on raw. She then sends new parents home with the meal plan. There's a couple tricks in there as to how to gradually add more variety and vitamins, etc, as the puppy gets older. It's based on a barf diet, so it does include some veggies and homemade yogurt and stuff.

It also includes a meal plan for their adult dogs.

Here it is:
http://www.aniaksibes.com/feeding.shtml#PuppyFeedingSchedule

Hopefully you find it useful. The only thing is, they include rolled oats in the diets, whearas I prefer to go entirely grain free. Mind you, oats are more digestible than most grains, but it's up to you to decide.

I just used it as a starting off point to make up my own meal plan.
Good luck! :thumbs up

erykah1310
February 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I have had no sucess with my border collie on raw or grain free diets. You name the protien we tried it, you name the kibble we tried it, for some reason he is at his best with a grainy food???
I know of a few other BC owners with this problem too (probably not a breed issue by all means but just so you know there are a good deal of us that have had problems with this), so be sure to keep a close eye on his overall health, hopefully starting him really young will avoid the issues we had with ours.

MerlinsHope
March 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM
I have had no sucess with my border collie on raw or grain free diets.

When you say 'no success', what do you mean precisely?
Thanks
MM