Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question on Berger Blanc

February 24th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Hi all,
a bit of back story:
we found a dog on the street last week. We wanted to keep it if the owners can't find her. Unfortunately, the dog has separation anxiety and keeps barking when we're gone to work/school. We live in an apartment and we don't want the dog to disturb the neighbours. We know that the dog could be trained but we don't/can't take days off in order to teach the dog to not bark when we're gone during the day time.

Finally, we had no choice but to bring the dog to the berger blanc (in Montreal) yesterday because the SPCA of Montreal didn't want to accept it. However, after reading a bit on pets.ca, it seems like Le Berger Blanc is a high kill place. Is this still the case? We're really worried about the dog and plan to get her back/adopt if she has the chance of getting euthanized if she doesn't get adopted. Does anyone know more about Le Berger Blanc? :shrug:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/ppj7777/Image114.jpghttp://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/ppj7777/Image116-1.jpg

CClover
February 24th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Other can answer better than me .I think they only keep the dog for about 3 days...If it can be sold easily the dog might have a chance...

What breed is it?

This baby is in my prayers...

February 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Other can answer better than me .I think they only keep the dog for about 3 days...If it can be sold easily the dog might have a chance...

What breed is it?

This baby is in my prayers...

They told me that they would keep the dog until she gets adopted... did they lie to me? :confused:

it's a mixed schauzer...

TacoGrl
February 24th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Not too sure about the place you are asking about, but I wonder if you can't take the dog to a boarding facility that offers training until the weekend and they can go through things with you on the weekend...there are a few places like that here...they train the dog during the week and train you on the weekend ;) and then you take the dog home say over a long weekend (you take Mon or Fri off)...just a thought...:shrug:

February 24th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Not too sure about the place you are asking about, but I wonder if you can't take the dog to a boarding facility that offers training until the weekend and they can go through things with you on the weekend...there are a few places like that here...they train the dog during the week and train you on the weekend ;) and then you take the dog home say over a long weekend (you take Mon or Fri off)...just a thought...:shrug:

oh really? I"ll try to Google a bit to see what I can find in my area.

The only places like you described that I know of deals more with obedience rather than behavior. But thanks for suggesting, I'll see what I can find...

cell
February 24th, 2009, 10:49 PM
You can also try getting a kennel (can be found used online for cheap), for many dogs it supplies a quite "den like" area, the restriction of movement tends to limit the excitement level they can achieve by being able to run around loose, and tends to enhance the tendency to relax. Also providing something to chew/ play with can help with boredom. A good hard/long walk or exercise in the morning is a definite must, otherwise your leaving a ball of energy alone to its own amusement which usually results in noise....

Edit to add: The pictures of the pooch just loaded, can you say CUTE! someone would adopt her for sure, if you can help her out please do!

lUvMyLaB<3
February 24th, 2009, 11:33 PM
what about sending to a doggie daycare for the day? or someone like a stay at home mom or something that would do doggie babysitting? Usually this is a fixable issue, that can have many possibilities of fixing, there can be bigger problems with owning a dog for sure! It would be sad to upset the poor babies life, especially to a kill shelter for this problem! I hope that you can find a solution, Good Luck!

Rosalie69
March 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hello!

I know this place well. I have adopted my beautiful dog there. Unfortunately, they don't keep dogs very long. They have too many and once they euthanize them, they throw them in the garbage (this is what I have learned recently).

Rosalie

cpietra16
March 20th, 2009, 11:59 AM
They will kill...please, if you can get him out...please do so...find a rescue who can help or a freind, but depending on the dog and his age...

BenMax
March 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hello!

I know this place well. I have adopted my beautiful dog there. Unfortunately, they don't keep dogs very long. They have too many and once they euthanize them, they throw them in the garbage (this is what I have learned recently).

Rosalie

Thank you for adopting a dog from that place. Their practices are questionable at the very best. Also, there is rumour that they sell to research facilities. Again, legal. Does this not just make you ill???:mad:

gregory
June 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
this place is a nightmare. it's dirty, the smell, the staff...

we bought a dog there to give him a 2nd chance (300$).

i went to my vet the next day and surprise; the dog has pneumonia, skin infections, heart problems and no one ever told us anything at berger blanc, at all.

when we called there, they told us we were not welcome to come back with the dog for some treatments or drugs, because we went some place else before. that our file would be destroyed because we were arrogant and that if we wanted to bring them to court, that they were waiting for us with their lawyers... niiiiice...

BenMax
June 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Sorry - I disagree. Save where you can. These animals are in dire need to be rescued. This in my opinion IS a rescue since these animals do not stand a chance.

I would never discourage anyone from adopting from any pound, shelter, or rescue. Do whatever you can.

HelenNutmeg
June 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Contact the various rescues..

The bassets I have rescued from there have been in shameful shape.. for a shelter..and they will not deal with rescues they CHARGE us.. because its " business "

BenMax
June 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Contact the various rescues..

The bassets I have rescued from there have been in shameful shape.. for a shelter..and they will not deal with rescues they CHARGE us.. because its " business "

I understand that HelenNutmeg, but you are only taking out the bassets. What about other breeds and mixes? Why discourage people from going there to save animals? I don't understand why rescues, or the ordinary person would tell people not to go there. It's about the animals in the end, not the establishment.

BTW - they are not a 'shelter' they are a pound and make no excuses in representing themselves that way.

Now if anyone is going to a miller to purchase I would agree with you discouraging anyone from 'buying' a dog.

JennieV
June 4th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I have to agree with BenMax on this one, rescue wherever and help however you can, without discrimination of race or breed.

I also wanted to add a couple of things. If the dog is genuinely ok, the anxiety and the barking could be dealt with. If you wish to train the dog, it takes consistency and some time, but its possible and it may help you both (you and the dog) enjoy life more.
Is there anyone in the building that you know of, that has their own dogs, that wouldn't mind watching over her while you're gone? even for a fee..? I know there are older people, who are bored and lonely, who wouldn't mind some company and you could do things in return, like maybe assist with groceries and such, I don't know your situation.
I paid my nephew to walk my Sparky and spend time with him while I was at work, while Sparky was a puppy. He adjusted perfectly and will only bark when theres someone at the door. Otherwise, he is good.
You could also crate-train the dog, and keep it busy with stuffed Kongs, I know for me - its a lifesaver! Keeps em occupied for quite a while. The crate could be put in the quietest room in the apartment, you could leave the radio on, to create some background noise, to make sure the dog isn't spooked by various noises around the apartment (people coming and going...outside noises...)

I hope all these things give you an idea and I hope you are able to get the dog back from that awful, revolting place..And also..thank you for caring so much about her!
:pray: things would work out!

HelenNutmeg
June 4th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I'm am not saying don't go there to rescue.. anything.. they carry all animals.. feathered and furred..

I take bassets because thats who I am Basset Hound Rescue.. but I encourage anyone to take any kind of dog .. I love them all.. don't get the wrong idea.. Just "TRY" to find any alternative not to bring something there..

BenMax
June 4th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I'm am not saying don't go there to rescue.. anything.. they carry all animals.. feathered and furred..

I take bassets because thats who I am Basset Hound Rescue.. but I encourage anyone to take any kind of dog .. I love them all.. don't get the wrong idea.. Just "TRY" to find any alternative not to bring something there..

Ok now I understand you. Absolutely do not take any animal there but please do adopt there (though they don't call it an adoption - it's a 'purchase' for them:frustrated:)

marko
June 5th, 2009, 08:19 AM
This thread is old and has run its course.
Thx - Marko