Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Post Op Huskie

ashtoreth
February 24th, 2009, 10:35 AM
This is it, Titus is being neutered as I write this.

I'm really nervous about all this, last dog I had got complication during the operation, so it's always stressful for me, it took me all my emotional strength not to show any sign of that to Titus.

I know the vet clinic is a good one and everything, I was allowed to visit every thing, it's a nice place really.

But yes, it's been a while since I got any dog into surgery, so I'm hoping I didn't forget anything when he comes home.

I cleaned the floor where he usually sleep and washed his bed.
His toys were cleaned thoroughly, as well as his food/water dishes.
The crate was also cleaned and disinfected carefully just to make sure since he always sleeps in it during the night, sure the door is open, but he just go into his den.

When he gets home I'll give him some food and water (just wont let him wolf everything down since he was fasting for a while now) and I'll check him for the rest of the day/night.

Wont make him run or be over excited (this should be a challenge o.0) or bring him at the dog park for 10-15 days

anything I forget?

Chris21711
February 24th, 2009, 10:51 AM
It has been some years Ashtoreth, but I don't think that after post op you should give Titus much to eat. Your Vet will advise though. Good Luck for your little boy :lovestruck:

ashtoreth
February 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM
As I wrote
I'll give him SOME food and water, not all of his usual portions
he never been a big eater anyway o.0 i'll just make sure he wont eat much

Chris21711
February 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I guess I didn't notice the word "SOME", mea culpa :o

ashtoreth
February 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM
^^

vet called, he was a champ, woke up and the night he slept there he did good, woke the person to go potty this morning hehe

I'm going to get him this afternoon

Corrie
February 24th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Just a quick little e-mail to say thanks and thanks again for being such a wonderful pet owner!

I am with Westie Rescue and I drive all over the province of Ontario to pick up little Westies whose owners sometimes just don’t give a dam!
I picked up a little Westie last month from a lady who bred her, when she was less than a year old, to a Yorkshire terrier! The little one, (and I do mean little…she was a tiny peanut!!!) that we called Molly, had the puppies only 6 weeks before that and the owner had not even yet cleaned off all the dried blood from her tummy. She was a mess…so skinny, arrived freezing in a metal crate with not even a blanket, with mats in her fur etc. but had the sweetest face you have ever seen!

And now I read your post about what you have done for your baby in anticipation of his arrival home. You are my dream owner! I wish all dogs could live with families like yours…I wish all dogs could have owners that care for them like you do! Thanks! You make me cry from happiness! :cry:

Corrie
Westie Rescue of Canada

ashtoreth
February 24th, 2009, 12:52 PM
awww thanks :) I try my best

its nice to see good people taking care of dogs too :)

Sib.HuskyMom
February 24th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I think you've pretty much got it all covered.
My boys just went through it on February 12th, with their follow up visit last night.
I brought them home around 3pm on the 13th, and waited until around 6:30 before feeding them dinner. Other than a little sleepy and groggy, they were fine to eat their normal dinner (they had already been given a small breakfast at the vets that morning, since they stayed overnight).

I could tell they weren't quite feeling 100% on the Saturday, but by Sunday, it seemed impossible to keep the quiet and calm. :evil:
They must have done pretty good though, because their incisions have healed beautifully so I was glad to hear that.

Just make sure you're fully in stock of bones and kong stuffers, etc.
Quiet activities that will keep him entertained for as long as possible.

:goodvibes: for a speedy recovery!

ashtoreth
February 24th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hes back home

very dopped lol, he seem to be unable to control the movement of his ears, its pretty hilarious *thihihi*

thanks for advice and warm thoughts :)

Sib.HuskyMom
February 24th, 2009, 04:52 PM
oh, sweet Titus :cloud9:. Glad to be home. :sleepy:
One more thing to mention is to let him out frequently to the bathroom.

On their first night home, my guys had a few "piddle" accidents on the kitchen floor, which totally freaked me out and I called my vet in a panic.
She said it was totally normal since things could be feeling a little "different" down there for them, and they just have to get used to it.

She was right, and by the next day they were fine. But it definitely threw me off at first since I wasn't expecting it.