Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat attacking other cat after Vet Visit

jynx
February 23rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Hi there - we have two bengal cats - one had to go the vet the other day for a few hours and then once home the younger cat is attacking him (not just gentle hissing or growling) - all out run, chase, attack, sratch, bite, fur flying attack.

this is what we have done - with no changes...

seperated them - put litter, food, water and blanket in each room and every hour or so, went in rubbed a towel on one and transferred that towel and rubbed the other - and then after two hours, switched them in the rooms.

then bought HomeoPet Anxiety drops -and gave to both - no change.

then after an hour or so (after they had been seperated for 3-4 hours) let them out and now the cat that was attacked is now the instigator because he is soooo upset the other cat was attacking him to begin with.

seperated them again - gave them drops again - tried it again a few hours later - and same thing happened.

one slept with us last night and the other in basement - and today they have switched places while we are at work.

How do I go about intergrating them without them or I getting injured? How about buying a harness to control them when re-introducing them??

I was thinking about putting one in the kennel and letting them sniff each other...thoughts? But then I thought that would start the smell thing all over.

And will be adding a play toy underneath door so they both can play but not see each other...

Any other Suggestions?

and how long does this last. I have had two cats previous for 17 years and this never happened.

Signed: frustrated and exhausted and hopeful!

Winston
February 23rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
The problem is that one smells different. Do you have some baby powder? if so rub some on both kitties..just put some in your hand and run your hands down both of them. You dont need alot its just so they both have the same scent. Then leave them to work it out from there...as long as they are not killing one another. Some people also get a dab of vanilla and place it under the chin on both. I have not been as successful with the vanilla.

My two are brother and sister and will still attack one another if one goes to the vets..strange isnt it? but the scent issue makes sense now that I know??

Oh I forgot to welcome you! would love to see some pics of your two devils I mean kitties! :thumbs up

sugarcatmom
February 23rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
I would actually keep them separated for longer (like several days) and then start the reintroduction again like they're new cats. Do you have a crate you can put one in while the other sniffs around? Then swap them. I wouldn't leave them unsupervised to work it out between themselves, it could set up a bad precedent which will forever tarnish their relationship.

Duh - I just saw that you do have a kennel/crate. Yup, that would be a good idea but I wouldn't go to that stage until after a few days of complete separation. Don't do the harness thing, especially if they've never worn one. If either of them freak out while on the harness, that would also set a bad precident.

ancientgirl
February 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
I just had the same thing happen to one of mine last week. I took him in to get his rabies shot, and when when I brought him back home my big boy, Vlad was growling and swatting at poor Maks.

Nothing like what you are going through though, but I do agree, it is because there is a different scent now. I took some kitty wipes and wiped all of them down with the same wipe. Everything was okay after a few hours. Your situation seems a lot more difficult though, as yours are fighting more.

Jim Hall
February 23rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
the baby powder trick usually works for me

Tundra_Queen
February 25th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Hi

When u bring the cat home from the vet, put him in a room by himself for a few hours so he can groom himself and get the vet smell off. Pam Johnson-Bennett, cat behaviourlist has a great book called Cat vs. Cat about multicat households and gives good advice. She mentioned about taking a blanket that the cat had been using to sleep on to rub them down when they get home from the vet too.

Debbie

jynx
February 25th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice - but have done the towel rub from one to the other, have switched rooms and each of them have explored the others food and litter box etc and have used Feliway around everywhere but still no improvement. Have also opened the door a crack for each other to see - nothing good came of that! And put one in the kennel/crate and put both in a room - no improvement.

however when they are on their own with us, all is absolutely normal

Phew - this is exhausting.

lUvMyLaB<3
February 25th, 2009, 01:53 PM
had this problem before too!! The problem is the other cat came back with a new smell and different, I agree use baby powder or there are wipes you can buy, try that, then introduce like you would any other time, then let them work it out, if they are not getting injured it is best to stay out of it as much as you can, every time you step in if it is a minor thing, you disrupt their behavior and can make it worse, the best thing to do is stay very calm, do not punish the aggressor, he will then resent the other cat for being punished when he is acting the way he thinks he should.. good luck, hopefully they will work this out and be best friends in no time!

sugarcatmom
February 25th, 2009, 02:19 PM
then let them work it out,

I don't agree, especially in this case where there is more than just a little hissing ang growling. Letting an all-out fight occur can permanently scar the relationship. Jynx has been doing everything right, I just think it may take more time. Here are a couple links that might have some more tips:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/aggression4.html
http://www.catsinternational.org/articles/getting_a_cat/good_introduction.html

14+kitties
February 25th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Tough situation.

Silly thought. Have you tried putting the cat that is being attacked in it's carrier, sneaking it out the door you normally go in and out of, rubbing it with baby powder, and then bringing it back in as if it is just now coming back from the vet? Make sure you rub the other one too so they both smell the same from the getgo.
I know, silly. All else has failed. Give it a shot. :shrug:

catlover2
February 25th, 2009, 05:03 PM
With the wild Asian Leopard Cat a few generations back in a Bengal's background, perhaps is contributing to this extreme territorial aggression?

Jynx, I suggest you speak to the breeder of your Bengals and find out if this is typical with Bengals or not, and what to do about it. All suggestions about keeping them apart for the time being are good, as their fighting could lead to injury and more trips to the vets for bite or puncture wounds. Keep us posted.