Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Owners Take To The Beach To Protest Canine Crackdown

Diamondsmum
February 23rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Dog Owners Take To The Beach To Protest Canine Crackdown
Monday February 23, 2009
CityNews.ca Staff
More than 150 dog owners and their four-legged friends took to Kew-Balmy Beach Sunday to protest city council's proposal to limit canines' access to the city's beaches.

As of last October, anyone walking their dog outside the designated off-leash areas can be fined $300, a rule that doesn't sit well with pet owners.

And if a new plan to improve water quality standards at the city's 11 swimming beaches is approved, there will be greater enforcement on dog owners who bring their animals to the sandy Lake Ontario shores, no matter what month of the year it is. Councillors are meeting on Monday to look at the plan.

Dog owners had previously enjoyed access to the beach in the winter months, freely walking their dogs between the boardwalk and the water. But that's now verboten, and if the beach improvement plan passes there could be greater crackdowns on those breaking the rules.

Some city councillors have questions about the rule and are looking for compromises - one would be to make a special path for dog owners to go between two designated off-leash areas on either side of the beach.

A petition has been circulated among dog owners and more than 1,000 people have so far signed it.

They would like to see the beach left open to dogs in the winter months.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_32318.aspx

Chris21711
February 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
I read that in the paper this morning DM, shame that the city doesn't figure out how to get itself out of the mess it is in, instead of p***ing off people :frustrated:

mummummum
February 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Toronto is such a funny (sometimes ha-ha funny, sometimes peculiar-funny, sometimes scary-weird-funny) place to live.

If it's not the hyper-entitled parents/guardians of human children with their SUV strollers on sidewalks and their howler-monkey children in restaurants, stores and movies, their apparent global disregard for the need to care for our environment by using bio-degradable/ RRR responsible diapers, toys etc.; it's the hyper-entitled parents/guardians/owners of animals who think their animals have the right to run free every and any where without regard to their animal's safety and the need to care for our environment by picking up/ disposing of their waste, using bio-degradable RRR responsible toys, bedding, litter etc.

Gotta love this City.

hazelrunpack
February 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
We had similar problems here--it was the dog owners that didn't clean up after their dogs who ruined it for those that were responsible in picking up and disposing of the waste. :shrug: It's unfortunate, but dogs are no longer welcome at the beach area, even in winter. To parents of kids that play at the beach in spring, it's totally understandable why dogs are no longer allowed off-leash and there is a fine for not cleaning up after your pet.

Felice
February 23rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
I think it's about time!
The off leash areas are a joke. Anytime of the day or night you can see countless dogs being walked through the entire beach off leash!
I've been bitten while jogging, my 5 year old niece was knocked down by a large Lab (she was scared half to death) , had my picnic lunch stolen by a dog whose owner was over 500 feet away, went ass over teakettle on my bike trying to avoid hitting a dog whose owner was standing nearby (oblivious).
I have really had enough! I love all animals, but I have a right to enjoy the beach and park without being over run and accosted by dogs!

mummummum
February 23rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
You are so right Felice.

There are irresponsible dog owners.

There are horrible, irresponsible parents ~ care to discuss?

Feeling a little frisky so I'm going to add to my post...

There are 29, 000 children currently in care of the CAS ~ and anyone who works in public housing, ODSP, OW, JFCS, NCFS, CCAS etc. could EASILY add another 29,000 to that number.

You are preaching to the choir here, be part of the solution instead of speaking from the peanut gallery.

Felice
February 24th, 2009, 02:44 PM
You response to my statement makes zero sense.
:laughing:

chico2
February 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I saw this on the news and I do not really understand what the problem is,there is a huge fenced-in area of the beach where the dogs can run off leash,including the lake I think.

If they are just strolling along the beach,why not keep them on a long lead,then let them run in the off-leash area.
Unfortunately it's the bad owners(as usual)spoiling it for everyone else,I believe there was also a problem with people not picking up poop.

There are many people who are afraid of dogs running around un-attended,the beach-area is precious,there for everyone to enjoy.
No,I don't live in Toronto,but I live close to Lake Ontario,I stopped going down there with my walking-companion(Cocker),because of all the off leash dogs,she has not really been socialized with other dogs and gets scared:sad:
I do believe we have a leash law at the park,but it's often ignored.
I love dogs and love to see them run freely and play,but not where there are many people.

Stacer
February 24th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I completely agree that this off leash bulls#!t has to be resolved. No dogs on the beach, period! The poop wreaks havoc on our water quality come the spring when everything thaws and all the mushy poop is exposed as the runnoff goes into the lake.

I frequent the off leash area of High Park as part of my job and it is absolutely appalling how the privledge (yes, privelege) of the off leash area has been abused. The dog walkers/owners think they own the place and are entitled to do whatever they please which apperently includes not picking up poop. Dog Hill should be renamed Big Pile of Crap. If I had my way the off leash area would be in a totally different location as it has completely degraded and destroyed a part of the last remaining Oak Savannah ecosystem in Toronto, but don't try telling that to the off leash committee.