Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found un-neutered Black cat in Welland

shuterbbug
February 23rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
This one is a little complicated, so bear with me.
I have 5 cats of my own, one of which is black and I live with my elderly mother. For the last month or so, she has mistakingly let a different black cat in the house, thinking it was ours. He seemed very friendly, and not at all shy, but he immediately tried to take over the house by spraying all over the place.
I have never seen this cat in the area and I don't know who owns him, but this morning my mother mistakingly let him in again and when she tried to pick him up to put him back outside, he scratched her arm very badly and a few minutes later, attacked her leg.
He is an all black un-neutered cat with just a bit of white on his chest. We live in the Niagara College area, so if anyone has any idea who the owner is, or if they have had similar problems with this animal, please let me know.
I have contacted the local shelter and they have not had any missing reports on this cat. I would like to know who owns him, so I can contact this person and have them take responsibility for this animal.

Thank you!

badger
February 23rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Have your mother's wounds been checked out by a doctor or a nurse? I don't want to alarm you but cat bites can become infected and need to be washed out and treated right away.

As for the poor cat, who thought he had lucked out :laughing:, he is probably a stray or has been abandoned. If this is the first time you have seen him, you could put up posters locally and see if someone responds, but don't hold your breath. Does he seem in good health?

I swear people don't bother to look for black cats because they are so difficult to identify. I myself lost a little black boy back in September and I got so many calls - none were him :sad:

I don't know what to suggest. If he goes to a shelter which euthanizes (due to overcrowding or just because), he probably wouldn't survive. Then again, if he can't find food, he won't last long either.

Check out:

http://www.petfinder.com/awo/index.cgi?action=state&state=ON&city=Welland&keyword=

On their web page, the Welland and District Humane Society doesn't mention their policy on euthanizing or how long they keep animals for adoption, but they sound fairly enlightened. I'd give them a call.

Or you could contact the rescue group and see if they can help you.

Good luck. I hope you can help this guy out. And maybe put a collar on your black boy so he can be easily identified?

shuterbbug
February 23rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks for your reply!

My Mom says' her arm is a little soar but the wounds were cleaned and wrapped and she has had a Tetanus shot within the last ten years.
I'm not sure if this cat is a stray because he looks very healthy. He is a very good weight and his coat is in great condition, which is why I think he either lives around here somewhere or some of the other neighbours are feeding him. When he does come into our home he never goes straight for the cat food, but he loves the cat toys.
I never thought to put a collar on my own cat, so I will definately give that a try.
Thanks for the suggestion!

krdahmer
February 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
What I did to find out who owned our resident roamer, was put a collar on him that simply said Please Call and my number.... the next day I got a confused call saying "um, someone put a collar on my cat and said to call here?" thus I found out where he lived and suggested something better than a flea collar for a cat that wonders outdoors. It cost me a bit, but I got the collar back, and will reuse it on the next wanderer. :thumbs up I imagine in that area it is very possibly a students cat who found out the true costs of vet bills and neutering and opted for the out the door solution.:frustrated:

Hope you find his home... or a good new one! :goodvibes:

badger
February 23rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Brilliant idea. The fact that he isn't ravenously hungry but just looking for a bit of fun and that he's healthy are good signs, but he may still be lost. The collar idea is brilliant. Maybe if the owners call you, you can suggest they get him neutered. Apart from the procreation thing, neutered cats stick closer to home.

I'd put up a few posters anyway. You never know.

shuterbbug
February 26th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Just to let you know, the cat snuck into our house again yesterday and attacked one of my cats. The one who never gets into fights and is as sweet as sugar. My daughter managed to catch him and I took him to the humane society. If the owner actually cares about this cat, I'm sure he will look for him there, if not, then I hope someone will adopt him and give him a good home.
I like the idea of the collar with the phone number and will certainly use it if this situation comes up again.

Have a great day!