Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I finally did it! Raw bones

Sib.HuskyMom
February 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
Well, I finally did it! Jasper and Timber got their first raw bone to snack on.
I gave them each a beef rib, because I didn't want to give anything too hard that they might chip a tooth on.

We're officially on our way to a raw food diet. :thumbs up

Mmmmm..... ribs! Looks like they enjoy them as much as I do (although personally, I like mine cooked and smothered in BBQ sauce :D).

diandpat
February 22nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
OMG I love the way they sit on their bums to chew LOL :laughing::laughing::laughing:

How were their stools after?

Sib.HuskyMom
February 22nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
Timber hasn't gone yet but Jasper's was a little runny :sad:
I suppose that's to be expected though. It was their first time after all, and Jasper's tummy is historically sensitive anyway.

But I'm sure it'll get better as they get used to it. :)

hazelrunpack
February 22nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Yum!!! The boys think they've struck it rich! :cloud9:

They're getting more handsome each time you post a pic! :flirt:

Sib.HuskyMom
February 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
They're getting more handsome each time you post a pic! :flirt:
:thankyou:
(like I had anything to do with it :p)

luckypenny
February 22nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
OMG I love the way they sit on their bums to chew LOL :laughing::laughing::laughing:

:laughing: Such manners :D, and good looks too :lovestruck:.

To help avoid the runs, feed them very lean pieces to start. And don't forget to not feed kibble a minimum of 8-10 hours before, ideally 12 :o.

Did they rub their faces in the snow when they were done? Lucky always washes his mouth :D.

Chris21711
February 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
I know my guys would relish rib bones, but I've always had my doubts about splintering.....any views on that issue would be appreciated.

LP - You say not to feed kibble for some hours before giving them the bones, what is the reasoning behind that.....I'm still trying to learn :o

corky/max
February 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
For all who are interested in this way of feeding:
http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

http://www.sillypugs.com http://www.shirleyswellnesscafe.com --Put raw meaty bones in search box at the right of this page

http://www.naturalrearing.com Also put words like--raw feeding/dogs
raw meaty bones raw food diet

luckypenny
February 23rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
I know my guys would relish rib bones, but I've always had my doubts about splintering.....any views on that issue would be appreciated.

LP - You say not to feed kibble for some hours before giving them the bones, what is the reasoning behind that.....I'm still trying to learn :o

The reason why meat eaters don't get ill with eating raw meat (the way we humans could) is because their digestive acids are much stonger than ours...and their digestive system including intestines, are only a fraction of the length of ours. Raw meat and bones are digested and passed much more quickly as a result (usually 3-4 hours). Processed kibble, on the other hand, can take up to 12 hours or more to digest. You see where the problem is? If kibble and raw are fed at or near the same time, the raw will remain in the digestive system longer, something we don't want. I know someone who tried to supplement with raw but made the mistake of mixing it with their dog's kibble. Subsequently, she had to rush her dog into the vets the next day. She blamed the raw meat :rolleyes: although that's not what got her dog ill, it was the way she fed it. It was the kibble that created the problem, not the raw.

As for splintering, our dogs do splinter large rib bones (they're all power chewers) but, they chew and digest it...well Penny does anyways. Sometimes little undigested pieces can be found in Ava and Lucky's poop :o. What I do for them is find smaller pieces of raw meaty bones, or pieces with mainly cartilage. What's important is that you don't feed just bone ie., we feed ribs with about 60-70% meat attached to it. Another method I use with Lucky and Ava is I let them chew about 1/4 of it, then I trade up. For example, I feed them RMB's in their crates but, after they get down to the bone and start chewing it for 10 minutes or so, I trade up, or lure them out one at a time with a small chunk of meat and close the crate door behind them and quickly distract them by taking them out to play :D. That's mainly to prevent any resource guarding, you have to know your dog and know if they'll allow you to remove such a prized possession from them.

Or, you can always go the easier route and just feed them a hunk of meat (they still rip and chew it which is great for their teeth and gums unless yo uhave a Penny who's been known to swallow a 2 lb piece of beef whole :eek: only to hork it up again and eat it properly the second time round :rolleyes: :yuck:) and a couple of chicken necks or a chicken carcass (much softer bones than beef ribs).

Hope that answers your question :).

:sorry: SHM, I think I may have just hijacked your thread :o.

Sib.HuskyMom
February 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
:laughing: Such manners :D, and good looks too :lovestruck:.

To help avoid the runs, feed them very lean pieces to start. And don't forget to not feed kibble a minimum of 8-10 hours before, ideally 12 :o.

Did they rub their faces in the snow when they were done? Lucky always washes his mouth :D.

Thanks LuckyPenny. I only waited about 6 or 7 hours since their last kibble meal, so next time I'll wait longer. I have some yummy turkey necks that I could give them next weekend for a supper. That should be more lean for them.

If it were up to me, I'd have them fully switched over to a raw diet, but my hubby still needs a little convincing. Although he's slowly coming around - he was really dissapointed that he wasn't home for their first "raw experience" yesterday. Poor daddy. :rolleyes:

Chris - I believe splintering is only a concern if the bone has been cooked. Otherwise, it should be fine raw. My guys were chomping pretty good on it and it stayed fully in tact.

corky/max
February 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
I feed raw chicken necks and a raw food diet. Just wanted to give you a little info I have read in my 'web wanderings'----May not be quite as much to worry about being as you have bigger dogs than I do. (Cocker Spaniels) But on other hand, if they are gulpers--I'd be cautious when feeding raw turkey necks! I have read that these bones are denser (harder on the teeth too) and have caused problems with some dogs. Also hope you don't leave the skin on the turkey necks---Turkey fat is the worst kind of fat--very dense and harder to digest--Don't want your 'new experience' w/ the raw diet to lead into Pancreatitis or other stomach problems. Don't know (don't remember) if this mentions the turkey or not but this is the best site to answer (50 most frequent questions answered) questions about feeding raw- http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm :thumbs up

Sib.HuskyMom
February 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the tips Corky/Max. I appreciate all the tips I can get.
I'll definitely look into that :thumbs up

SuperWanda
February 23rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Hi - Sib.HuskyMom - this has nothing to do with raw meaty bones - sorry - but I just wanted to say that your Siberians are beautiful! and that I have a Timber too! (an 8 year old Timber).

Here is her picture - she loves the snow:

Sib.HuskyMom
February 23rd, 2009, 07:14 PM
oh she's beautiful!!! :lovestruck::flirt:
I love the pink stripe on her nose. My guys have that too, but not quite as distinct.

How big is she? I just had Jasper and Timber at the vet tonight for a check up after thier neuter surgery. Timber now weights 17kg, and Jasper is just under 15kg.
She doesn't think they'll really get any taller at this point, just fill out a little. It's surprising to me how small they are (which I guess with 2, really isn't a bad thing ;)). My in-laws used to have a sib and he was 60-65 pounds. Mine obviously won't get anywhere near that. :shrug:

Chris21711
February 24th, 2009, 10:42 AM
LP - Thanks for the info. Skip is definately a resource guarder, but the other guys know that and wouldn't dare try anything. I can take food from him, but it is not an easy task, that being said Pepe says "drop it" and he drops it :frustrated: Question: When the bones splinter can they not cause damage wending their way through to the other end?

Corky/Max - Thanks for the links :thumbs up

Sib.HuskyMom- I think the boys will get taller, how old are they now, 6 - 7 months? Iggy definately carried on growing height-wise at least until a year.

SuperWanda
February 24th, 2009, 01:13 PM
My Timber is actually 65 lbs. I think she could lose about 5 lbs. I just measured her height and she is about 24" from the floor to the top of her back.

She was a stray from the humane society and when we first got her at 4 months she was basically skin and bone and sick with a bad cold. She would hardly eat anything and was fairly skinny for most of her teen years. I would say she started putting on more weight at 5 years of age. I'm actually amazed how much she has changed - even the markings on her face, they seemed to get lighter.

I'll attach another picture to show you how she looked at 5 months:

Etown_Chick
February 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM
penny, corky,
thank you for the excellent information on raw bones.
I give them to Scruffy and he's in heaven when he has them, especially deer. The other day, I had to clean up the back yard - it looked like a haunted grave yard, bone remnants everywhere!
I've never had a problem feeding him bones but I guess if he gets them in the afternoon and kibble at night he's ok? At least he has been so far.