Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mr.Honey

VictoriaS
February 21st, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hello,
My name is Victoria and I am asking your help. Please, help me if you can. I have a cat Mr.Honey. We love him VERY much and doing everything he wants. He is very smart and kind cat. Mr.Honey is 2 years old and we get him when he was 8 weeks. Also we have another ca Jinxy also 2 years old.We dot her form shelter about one year ago. This Wednesday Mr.Honey tried to run outside( he inside cat only) and I pushed him back inside house. He started to attack me( bite and scratch).After that 3 days he was as usual. But today he attacked me . We went to vet emergency room vet said me that Mr.Honey tried to dominate at me( because I am not allow him go outside). Vet gave us some medicine for Mr.Honey and also told me if Mr.Honey’s behavior not will improve we need find another home for him!!!
This is impossible because I love him VERY much and can not to do that. Please help me. What I need to do? How can I help Mr.Honey be as before kind and lovely cat.
Now Mr.Honey needs to take a daily medicine, however, he is very unhappy about that and it is a struggle for him and me. I am holding him really hard to give him medicine because I am afraid he can bite or scratch me. Are there any easier ways to give medicine to cat? I tried to mix the medicine with dry food and water but he senses that his medicine is inside and he won’t eat it.

badger
February 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
What is the name of the medicine?
Is Mr. Honey neutered?

VictoriaS
February 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM
Thank you very much for reply!

The name of the medicine is Amitriptyline.
Yes,Mr Honey is neutered.

catlover2
February 22nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
This is a very tough question. Your Mr. Honey isn't even being as sweet as sugar. I know how frightening a cat attack can be for you, as well as having to deal with the bite and scratch injuries (which should always be treated immediately with soap washing & application of polysporin). I had a cat attack me once so can sympathize with what you went through, tho this cat was an unneutered and sexually frustrated 1 year old, not that uncommon to have happen. For some reason or other there are cats, even from the time they are kittens, that just really want to go outside; others could care less and are content with their indoor life to watch all the goings-on from a window ledge. Mr. Honey may be one of those who wants outside. From now on, you or anyone else should discourage him from getting even near the door when you're going out or coming in. Try stamping your feet on the floor and clapping your hands loudly at the same time as saying 'NO'. Give him some extra attention when he is behaving well. Just before you leave, give him a treat somewhere far from the door, or rub some catnip into a toy. Unfortunately some cats can get into an "attack mode" when they really want to do something. Try to keep calm, but beware of any signals to attack---pupils dilated, ears back and tail thrashing. Distract him by throwing something near him, squeeze a squeeky toy; and walk calmly away to another room. Just another thought....is he able to see out through windows? If not, you should get him one of those "cat trees" available in pet stores.

As far as pilling him, you can wrap him tightly in a towel, with just his head out. Give him lots of praise afterwards and reward with a treat afterwards. Hope Mr. Honey goes back to his sweet self. :fingerscr

krdahmer
February 22nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Are there any wandering cats outside your home? When a cat shows aggression at the doors or windows that is very often the case. Catlover has a lot of great suggestions, use them. IMO the vet was a little quick to prescribe the Amitriptyline, and his advice about rehoming your cat:frustrated: was just insensitive and unnecessary. I got attacked twice at the door by my Palomine, both times he was aggitated because of cats outside. So I learned to distract him with a toy (laser pointer) or a treat or two. I know some disagree with using a water bottle, but I also found that very effective for my two boys who started outdoors and had a tendency to run for it every chance they got. I only had to spray them once or twice before just the shaking of the bottle was good enough to get them away from the door. (or immitating the sound the squirting of the bottle makes as well)

Oh and we love kitty pictures if you have any to share! ;)

VictoriaS
February 22nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
catlover2 and krdahmer, thanks a lot for reply!!!

Mr.Honey was able to see two strange cat outside before. But now I do not know let him see the cats outside or not. What do you think about?
One of that cat last summer was sitting outside of our window and when she saw Mr.Honey she tried to attack him.
When Mr.Honey attacked me second time he was sitting close to windows and I think he saw that cat.
I’ll will see the vet tomorrow and will ask one more time does need Mr. Honey to take this medicine?

Here are photos of Mr.Honey and Jinxy..both of them my fav models :)

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4777/53703290.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1959/jinxy.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

catlover2
February 22nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
The cats outside the window explain the attack. Mr. Honey is a dominant cat and territorial, and because he was angry with the cats outside took it out on you because you were nearby; it's called displaced aggression. If you see the cat sitting outside the window shoo it away, or if you have blinds or curtains it might be good to close them for a little while. To keep the outdoor cat from jumping on the window ledge, maybe you could put flower pots along the window ledge so the outdoor cat doesn't sit there to harass Mr. Honey.

If he sees cat outside, distract him with a toy or catnip mouse, but don't pet him or pick him up if he is angry. Yes, and do speak to the vet again about the medication, whether it is really necessary or not.

Beautiful photos and beautiful cats!

Love4himies
February 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Amitriptilyne can be prescribed in a transdermal gel so you don't have to pill your kitty. Also, the med should be used with caution as it is metabolized in the liver and can cause kidney/liver damage. Any cat who is on this med should be monitored with blood work regularly to ensure the organs are not being affected.

As for redirected agression, it will probably be a life time issue so medicating is probably not the answer, but covering your windows in such a way that Mr. Honey will not be able to see other kitties outside.

VictoriaS
February 24th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Hello.
I am sorry for the late reply!
I saw our vet yesterday and she said that she think Mr.Honey do not need to take the medicine .( the medicine was prescribed by vet from vet emergency). She also said that Amitriptyline does not work with redirect aggression.
She recommended keep all windows closed and if Mr.Honey will not see any cat outside he will be fine. Also she said that cats love to be alone.
I cannot say Thank you enough for your help!!! Thank you very much for your help and support!
I will be here every day and will tell you how Mr.Honey is doing :)

Love4himies
February 24th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Hello.
I am sorry for the late reply!
I saw our vet yesterday and she said that she think Mr.Honey do not need to take the medicine .( the medicine was prescribed by vet from vet emergency). She also said that Amitriptyline does not work with redirect aggression.
She recommended keep all windows closed and if Mr.Honey will not see any cat outside he will be fine. Also she said that cats love to be alone.
I cannot say Thank you enough for your help!!! Thank you very much for your help and support!
I will be here every day and will tell you how Mr.Honey is doing :)

I am so glad to hear you won't be medicating your kitty. :thumbs up.

I am not sure what your vet meant by "cats love to be alone"????? Because that has not been my experience with any of my cats, well except Puddles, she doesn't want to interact, but does want to be in the same room and loves to watch others play.

VictoriaS
February 25th, 2009, 06:25 PM
She told me that I cannot grab and hold my cat any time I want. If cat wants some attention from people the cat will show it. Cats love to be alone and anywhere they want. This is to difficult for me because I used to grab and hold Mr. Honey many times during the day… :cry:

catlover2
February 26th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Because Mr. Honey has been upset lately and directed his anger at you instead, I suggest you don't pick him up and love him as you did before. Give him more time to settle down. Give him lots of attention and stroking, but only on his terms. Caress all his favourite spots--cheeks, under the chin, wherever he likes it. Don't force any affection on him, but let Mr. Honey come to you for it. And if he shows some annoyance from too much affection by twitching his tail, stop the caressing. Some cats can get too overstimulated, especially with a tummy rub, and then bite or scratch. You don't want him to get to that point. I don't agree completely with what your vet said either, some cats do like to be alone but most like the companionship and I have two Devon Rexes that are mostly in my lap, or follow me about from room to room!

Good luck and hope Mr. Honey lives up to his name as he was before! :fingerscr

Love4himies
February 26th, 2009, 10:53 AM
She told me that I cannot grab and hold my cat any time I want. If cat wants some attention from people the cat will show it. Cats love to be alone and anywhere they want. This is to difficult for me because I used to grab and hold Mr. Honey many times during the day… :cry:

I really think that depends on the cat. Your vet is right, that they must be held on their terms because they will let you know when they don't want to be.

I would not change how you are interacting with Mr. Honey, except maybe keep your distance if there is another cat around. Learn his physical expressions to know he will and won't allow you to pick him up. If you start acting different, he may pick up on it and get stressed himself.

Chico2 has a cat who has redirected agression, I hope she will be around to give some advice. :pray:

chico2
February 26th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Victoria,I am sorry I did not notice your post before..
I have the exact same problem with my Rocky(also a brown tabby),I've needed hospital-treatment 3 times.

The reason for his aggression has been strange cats outside,the only reason.
Rocky is otherwise a wonderful sweet mommas-cat,loves my other 2 cats.
What we've had to do,is to keep windows closed at night,his reaction is much more severe if he can smell or hear the strange cat.
Also I've learned to read his body-language,if he sees another cat,he'll tense up and not listen to anything anyone says,he just focuses on the strange cat.
Were I to distract him,by trying to move him,he would bite.
Instead I'll close the door to the room he's in and go outside to shoo the stranger away.
He will stay in the closed room until he calms down.

Just a few days ago,a cat came up to our patio-door,staring in at my 3 cats,I quickly ran out and the cat ran away.
Now we have closed off the stairs so no cat can get to the patio-doors.

There is nothing wrong with either my Rocky or your Mr Honey,it's just the way they are,don't treat him any differently than you always have.
You love him,the same as I love my Rocky,the aggression is misdirected,he does not even realize it is you he is hurting.
Your vets suggestion to rehome him is outrageous,I would never give up on my Rocky,although many people have asked me why I still have him,it's simple,I love him.
Be watchful,especially at night,if you have blinds or drapes,close them,we luckily do not have many cats coming in to our backyard,just the odd one.
Also,my Rocky was too on a transdermal medication to calm him down,but I quickly took him off it,this is not something that can be treated with meds.
:fingerscrfor you and Mr Honey..
This problem is actually why I joined this Forum in 2004 and I am still here.
Hope I could help you understand,your kitties are beautiful:lovestruck: