Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

endless debate?

dollface
February 21st, 2009, 12:11 AM
How do you tell ppl that the hierarchy for pet food is Raw diet > wet diet > dry diet??

It feels like an endless battle. Oh and there are ppl who think cooked bones are better to feed than raw? Do they really want their pets to choke? SRSLY!!

Jim Hall
February 21st, 2009, 12:25 AM
i say well what would you perfer steak, hash or cereal?

dollface
February 21st, 2009, 12:32 AM
i say well what would you perfer steak, hash or cereal?

Good one! Would that be equal to Lobster > Steak > Cereal?

LittleMonster
February 21st, 2009, 02:05 AM
Hehe it is endless, I generally don't advise people I meet unless they're putting their pets in danger... I find that everyone is extremely passionate about their pets to the point where discussions turn into arguements.

Having said that, it is slot easier on the net due to the anonimity. So, here I go:

I don't think wet food is really better than dry, there is some really good dry foods out there today, be it kibble or dehydrated raw. Additionally, every dog is different. A few weeks back, when my puppy was having issues with raw chicken, I thought wet food was better, but it just doesn't work well with my dog.

sugarcatmom
February 21st, 2009, 11:21 AM
I don't think wet food is really better than dry, there is some really good dry foods out there today, be it kibble or dehydrated raw.

For a dog . . . . maybe, but if we're talking about cats (and I think dollface is), there is no such thing as a good dry food. Cats need wet food, ideally raw, but even the worst canned is infinitely better for them than the very top-o-the-line, most expensive kibble on the market.

LittleMonster
February 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM
ah ok. fair enough. I actually dont know a thing about cats, I've never had one.

dollface
February 22nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
For a dog . . . . maybe, but if we're talking about cats (and I think dollface is), there is no such thing as a good dry food. Cats need wet food, ideally raw, but even the worst canned is infinitely better for them than the very top-o-the-line, most expensive kibble on the market.

Yup more for cats I was speaking about :)

On another forum I was told that wet food has a high ash content compared to dry food. And even when I did a comparison chart with Wellness canned, Fancy Feast Canned and Iams Dry indoor, the Iams still had the highest ash content coming in at 7%. Wellness had 1.95% max and Fancy Feast had 3% max. Yet i was still being told that wet food causes renal issues in male cats and therefore dry food is the best thing for cats. Like how do you convince ppl that dry food is what causes most diseases in cats??

sugarcatmom
February 22nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Yet i was still being told that wet food causes renal issues in male cats and therefore dry food is the best thing for cats.

Okey dokey :rolleyes:. So how does that explain the overwhelming number of cats with renal issues that have only ever eaten dry food? That argument has no factual basis whatsoever.

Like how do you convince ppl that dry food is what causes most diseases in cats??

Sadly enough, a great many people just have no interest in making any changes that would require them to make an effort. Dry food is cheap and easy. Perhaps if they face a debilitating medical condition in their cat and they discover that connection between diet and health, they'll come to realize the truth. But maybe not even then. :sad:

dollface
February 22nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
like I do realize that any issue/topic can be argued til blue in the face, b/c their are 3 sides to consider: a pro opinion, a con opinion and the truth

i cant believe i forgot to mention this, but the person who was trying to tell me dry food was the only way to go, i'm 90% sure, he was in vet school currently cuz he talking about the programme as if he was trying to defend that although nutrition is an elective everyone still takes it. But yet elective in its definition means it is optional therefore not all devoted vet students would take it...

also came across this link a few weeks ago on the bengal cat forum when the issue came up, http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/whatsnew/article2.cfm?id=1375 very shocking, no wonder they are spewing crap despite thinking they are being taught what is right :frustrated:

Love4himies
February 23rd, 2009, 07:23 AM
I would even put some kibble in the "hotdog" category.

sugarcatmom
February 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
also came across this link a few weeks ago on the bengal cat forum when the issue came up, http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/whatsnew/article2.cfm?id=1375 very shocking, no wonder they are spewing crap despite thinking they are being taught what is right :frustrated:

On a related note, here's a link to a thread by TulipRoxy, a member here who is in training to be a vet-tech: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59134&highlight=Hill%27s

14+kitties
February 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
It's sad. :sad: All I have to say is money talks........

TulipRoxy
February 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Okey dokey :rolleyes:. So how does that explain the overwhelming number of cats with renal issues that have only ever eaten dry food? That argument has no factual basis whatsoever.

Sadly enough, a great many people just have no interest in making any changes that would require them to make an effort. Dry food is cheap and easy. Perhaps if they face a debilitating medical condition in their cat and they discover that connection between diet and health, they'll come to realize the truth. But maybe not even then. :sad:

SO true. I just experienced this with my sister. Her cat had a urinary blockage and had to be unblocked and hospitilized. I had told her that she needed to feed canned when she first rexcued the cat, but she didnt think it was important.

Even now I sent her links on nutrition and FLUTD and she hasnt read it. The cat is on Urinary SO which is a crap food... its canned at least though. I'm gonna have to bring it up AGAIN to see if she will switch him to a better canned or to raw.

ARG!