Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Top 10 Training Tips - Courtesy of Patricia McConnell

totallyhip
February 20th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Here are some tips on training to keep in mind. I pass this along to all my rescue families. They are easy things to forget and to do. Thought it would be beneficial for people. I think Patricia McConnell is a wonderful trainer and highly recommend anything by her:)
:thumbs up

TOP 10 TRAINING TIPS

#1. BE POSITIVE!
Dogs learn much faster and are more reliable if they learn to feel good when they do what you ask. You'll have a much more well-behaved dog if you learn to use positive reinforcement rather than forcing your dog into a behavior. For more on positive reinforcement, buy our book Family Friendly Dog Training.

#2. LEARN TO "SPEAK DOG"
Dogs don't come speaking English, and they don't read minds. Communicate less with your voice and more with your body (like dogs do), and your dog will understand you better. Both Ends of the Leash is a fantastic video that will help you develop better communication skills with your dog.

#3. BE A BENEVOLENT LEADER TO YOUR DOG
Your dog is dependent on you, and needs to know she can count on you to be responsible. That doesn't mean you should be a tough taskmaster, far from it. Think of the best teacher you ever had, and try to emulate that with your dog. For more on being a benevolent leader, buy our booklet How to Be The Leader of the Pack.

#4. LEARN ABOUT LEARNING
Training animals isn't intuitive, and we're not taught how to do it in school. Don't assume you know how just because you love your dog! To better understand emotions and how dogs think, read For the Love of a Dog. This book is a combination of science, stories and practical advice that can improve the relationship between dogs and people all over the world.

#5. LEARN TO "READ DOG"
Dogs have remarkably expressive faces, but we often fail to pay attention to what they're trying to tell us. Look for relaxed bodies and open mouths on happy dogs, and stiff bodies and closed mouths on dogs who are, at best, concerned about something. Reading Between the Lines video will help you "read" dogs so that you can predict and influence their behavior.

#6. TRAIN THROUGHOUT THE DAY
Avoid long training sessions every evening by scattering training exercises throughout the day. That way you'll always have time to train your dog, and your dog will learn to listen wherever and whenever you ask. Family Friendly Dog Training is based on a six-week training schedule that will help you help your dog become a well-behaved, happy member of the family.

#7. MASTER A FEW EXERCISES
You're much better off teaching your dog a few, simple exercises and practicing them in a variety of contexts, than teaching your dogs lots of signals that only work if he's not distracted. One of the most valuable signals you can teach your dog is the "watch" signal. This is described in detail in our booklet Feisty Fido.

#8. BE CONSISTENT
Don't say "Ginger Come!" in the morning, and "C'm 'ere, Ginger" at night. Our dogs are trying to learn a foreign language, and we just confuse them if we keep changing the words! The Other End of the Leash will show you how dogs interpret our behavior, and explains how to interact with them in ways that bring out the best in our four-legged friends.

#9. TEACH GOOD BEHAVIOR
If your dog consistently does something you don't like, figure out what you DO want him to do, and teach him to do it, rather than correcting him for doing what's wrong. Even if you don't have a full pack of dogs, Feeling Outnumbered video is chock full of positive, enjoyable exercises that teach your dog to be patient and polite, rather than pushy and demanding.

#10. LAUGH A LOT!
Why not? Training should be just as fun for you as it should be for your dog. You'll both do better if you make it all into a game and have fun with it. For more about playing with you dog, buy Play Together, Stay Together.

kcole81
April 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM
This week we adopted our new dog Kya from our local animal shelter. She had been there for 2 months. Kya is very active and full of energy! She runs all over the house and will play with her rope toy in the house, but as soon as we take her outside to play she wants nothing to do with playing or running! We are trying to get her exersice and to burn off some off her energy. Any ideas.. I been searching and searching and have came up with nothing soo far..Thanks, Katie

TulipRoxy
April 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
This week we adopted our new dog Kya from our local animal shelter. She had been there for 2 months. Kya is very active and full of energy! She runs all over the house and will play with her rope toy in the house, but as soon as we take her outside to play she wants nothing to do with playing or running! We are trying to get her exersice and to burn off some off her energy. Any ideas.. I been searching and searching and have came up with nothing soo far..Thanks, Katie

You might want to start a new thread with this question as people might miss this question.

Does she not run outside because she is scared?

For now I would walk or jog with her at least 1 hour a day. Exercise her as much as possible and she'll be quieter in the house.

You might want to trying something like agility or rally obedience with her. These both burn lots of energy and wear your dog out mentally as well!

kcole81
April 5th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I tried to start a new thread but it wouldn't let me...
Kya doesn't seem scared when she is outside...she runs a little at times and other times she just wants to go back inside. She doesn't not seem intersted in her toys. We even tried the ball that you put a treat it that a site suggested.

thanks!