Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cannington Dog Sled Races are off

Gail P
February 19th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Not enough snow for the races to go ahead so they've been canceled. Last weekend there was some talk about possibly postponing them for 2 weeks if conditions weren't favourable, but I don't know if that will happen of if they're just canceled, end of story. I'm going to keep checking back on the schedule to see if they reschedule the date. Think snow, :fingerscr, there's supposed to be another race next weekend in Apsley.

Diamondsmum
February 19th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Awww gail Im not to far from Cannington & were getting steady snow all day.

I hope they didnt cancel it to early?

Chris21711
February 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Not enough snow for the races to go ahead so they've been canceled. Last weekend there was some talk about possibly postponing them for 2 weeks if conditions weren't favourable, but I don't know if that will happen of if they're just canceled, end of story. I'm going to keep checking back on the schedule to see if they reschedule the date. Think snow, :fingerscr, there's supposed to be another race next weekend in Apsley.

We got about 4-5 inches of snow Gail, I would have thought that that would have been enough, considering they are calling for more snow today and tomorrow. That's a bummer :sad:

Gail P
February 20th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I think the problem is that there was no trail in yet, no base to work with. By the time you compact 4-5 inches and try to groom it there's not much there. Then to run teams of dogs over it for 2 days it gets even more torn up and you have injured dogs. I can run my guys without injuries on dirt roads for spring/fall training, and on snow all winter but the worst time for them is the in between seasons. Just free running around the fields when the ground is frozen and has a touch of snow/ice seems to be when they'll occasionally quick their nails and bleed, or get abrasions to the pads. Hopefully the coming snow will make it good for the Apsley race and with luck maybe Cannington can be rescheduled :fingerscr

Chris21711
February 20th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the headss-up Gail, I was telling my daughter it was cancelled, she already knew, she had checked their website.

Hope it's good next weekend at Apsley so you can race.

Tundra_Queen
February 21st, 2009, 08:13 AM
Gail, we have 4 ft of snow up here...and hundreds of miles of ski doo trails......you could come up here. *G*

Debbie

Gail P
February 21st, 2009, 09:15 PM
Gail, we have 4 ft of snow up here...and hundreds of miles of ski doo trails......you could come up here. *G*

Debbie
Sounds nice :cloud9: I actually have enough snow here at my place to run the dogs, I just wish Cannington would have had it in time. It's snowing again now and more on the way this week I think, so I think we should be good for the next race. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to run them on the skidoo trails. I know lots of people do in other areas, but the only time I tried it near me I was a bit unnerved. Maybe I've read too many messages lately about dog team/snow machine accidents. There has been a lot of talk about how to safely share trails, lots of the distance mushers need to be able to use longer trails for training.