Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

is there hope

zoeybayboo
February 19th, 2009, 08:45 AM
My 6mo. chahuahua plays with and eats pieces of her poop! I love this dog and want to keep her but this is really gross. can i solve this really bad habit of hers.

Mgue
February 19th, 2009, 10:33 AM
It's actually pretty common for dogs to eat their own poop. Sometimes it's because they are on a low quality food so they eat it again to try and absorb what they didn't get the first time. But even on a high quality food, they may still eat it.

You can try teaching her not to eat it - use a command like "off" or "leave it" to let her know that she shouldn't eat it. If that doesn't work, then you may just need to be extra vigilant in cleaning it up right after she does it.

My dog does it too - I use "off" but I don't always catch him. I'm hoping he will grow out of it... :pray:

BioGhost
February 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM
lol I wouldn't worry about it too much. My Husky use to pick pieces of the cats poo out of the litter boxes and play and eat them. All you can do is try to catch them in the act and create a command that lets them know not to do this. Eventually they will stop, but until then just keep an eye out just in case they do contract something from this habit.