Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

York Police And OSPCA Bust Alleged Cock Fighting Ring

Diamondsmum
February 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM
The Ontario SPCA and York Regional Police have broken up an alleged cock-fighting ring in East Gwillimbury, seizing 74 fighting roosters, which were subsequently euthanized, and charging 70 people.

"On the heels of the Michael Vick dog fighting case, it is disappointing to continue to see examples of blood sport operations. It is a truly heinous crime, involving unimaginable cruelty," says Chief Inspector for the Ontario SPCA, Hugh Coghill.

"It can be hoped that similar crackdowns will help reduce the amount of illegal activity taking place and help eliminate this vicious practice."

Police were tipped off about suspicious activity on Saturday, February 14th. Upon arrival they allege they found evidence of cock fighting, including several dead and live roosters.

Everyone in attendance was arrested, but the alleged organizers are facing the most serious charges.

They have been identified as; Danilo Patawaran, 52, and Deanna Patawaran, 46, both of East Gwillimbury.

The suspects are facing numerous charges including Injuring or Endangering Animals, and Keeping a Betting House.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_32210.aspx

Diamondsmum
February 18th, 2009, 01:48 PM
:frustrated::cry:

In my neck of the woods :wall:

:rip:

BenMax
February 18th, 2009, 01:49 PM
How very sad. We all know that these exists - one down....

totallyhip
February 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
These are horrible! Why people want to participate in anything like this just shocks the hell out of me. Why is this entertainment???:wall:

:loser:

Diamondsmum
February 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM
yup Benmax so true.. 70 people charged.. I just hope the charges stick.

badger
February 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I wonder what the maximum penalty is; I hope they get it, and lose their house.
Disgusting.

chico2
February 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM
These people have no conscience,they must get a sadistic pleasure,watching another living being suffer.
But I suspect it's all about money,who cares if these poor birds suffer:cry:
Glad they got caught..
:rip:poor roosters