Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crystal bowls and dishes

krdahmer
February 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Yikes! I've mentioned before that I use a crystal bowl for the cats to have their water in... well for some reason I was going through my wedding gifts that were at my mom's the other day and came across another that I thought would look nice as their second water dish. And for some reason I noticed the 24% lead crystal on the side of the box, and thought gee, I wonder if the lead would get into the water? And...:eek:... man am I a boob!!! Even though I change the water daily so it never sits long the lead does indeed seep into the liquids stored in crystal!!! How I never put that together before now I don't know... and Smoke and Windy have been drinking out of crystal their whole lives! :frustrated: I checked a few websites on the subject and although alcohol seems to be the worst, any liquid does get affected. So I immediately took up those bowls and put down two glass ones instead. I just feel so dumb to not have figured this out before.... I mean ... der! :headslap: I just hope it's never been enough to affect their health.

I know most of you use ceramic, glass or steel, but just thought it would be good info to share.

Scuba
February 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM
There are high quality no lead glass that is almost like crystal now offered by a lot of companies. If money is no object, maybe commission a few pieces from a glass artist/blower.

Important note on the ceramic, depending on where it was manufactured and the glazed used. There can still be lead, this goes for high quality china as well. There are fairly cheap kits that you can buy to test for it though. I don't know of a reliable or good quality one off the top of my head, but google should be able to solve that.

Another side note is don't forget about yourself when worrying about your furbabies. Lead is not good for people either!

ancientgirl
February 19th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Don't feel bad, I'd never think of that either.

Now I'm thinking of just getting them all plain glass dishes and bowls. That can't be bad right?

krdahmer
February 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I think glass is probably safest... and stainless steel too, like Scuba said you even have to watch the ceramics for glazes and stuff especially if made in China. I've got all glass now with just two stainless steel food bowls.

ancientgirl
February 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I think this weekend I'll go to the thrift stores to see if they have any glass dessert dishes. Now I'm wondering if even the ones I use now are safe.

Scuba
February 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I think glass is probably safest... and stainless steel too, like Scuba said you even have to watch the ceramics for glazes and stuff especially if made in China. I've got all glass now with just two stainless steel food bowls.

It is not just made in China stuff. A lot of ceramic pieces from Mexico or Eastern Europe can have high levels of lead either in the type of clay used or the glaze. Some of it is not actually people being malicious or bad business practice. A lot of these pieces I am talking about a made the traditional way, with traditional materials and methods.

You go on holiday, see something nice and cheap. Buy it and bring it home. Whilst it might function perfectly as a container, it would be better displayed on the mantle piece due to high level of lead.

PS. Stainless all the way! Also India makes some pretty good stainless steel stuff now. All to do with economics.

ancientgirl
February 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM
PS. Stainless all the way! Also India makes some pretty good stainless steel stuff now. All to do with economics.

That does seem like the best option. I had a mishap the other day resulting in a broken dish at 6:00 am. At least the stainless won't break into a hundred pieces if it falls off the counter.

Winston
February 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Hey guys I always thought that the stainless was not good either? I could be wrong but thought I read somewhere that some animals react to the metal? :shrug:

ancientgirl
February 19th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Oy! So what's safe then?

Winston
February 19th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Glass & ceramic? thats what I use now..Oy now we all will be goolging whats safe? I think Ill still use glass...

ancientgirl
February 19th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Glass & ceramic? thats what I use now..Oy now we all will be goolging whats safe? I think Ill still use glass...

Please post what you find!

badger
February 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Indian stainless steel is brilliant. I've turned into a bit of a collector, when I can find it. The cats drink from stainless steel bowls and eat off ceramic 'shells' from the dollar store, made in China, hmmm.

clm
February 20th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I always associated crystal with lead. For some reason the words lead crystal were always used when I used to collect it.
The dogs eat and drink from stainless bowls, when not drinking from the pond that is. :rolleyes:
The cats (indoors and out) eat and drink from the soup bowls and saucers that have come from numerous dish sets over the years.

Cindy

Scuba
February 20th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hey guys I always thought that the stainless was not good either? I could be wrong but thought I read somewhere that some animals react to the metal? :shrug:

It is not just animals, a lot of people can have allergic reactions to stainless steel. Stainless steel is an alloy, ie, a mixture of different metals to get their physical properties. Nickle can cause allergic reactions. Nickle can often be found in certain stainless steels (there are 4000 types on the commercial market). Some people will react to Chromium as well, which is what gives Steel its "stain less" property.

Unless a person is really sensitive, higher grade stainless Steel (more costly) should be OK. Especially if it is marketed as surgical Stainless (remember however there are thousands of types of stainless Steel out there). Also keep in mind some unscrupulous people might mismark items for higher profits!

If it is still a concern, go Titanium. You can buy Titanium containers in camping equipment stores. Another route is to go wooden, though more care is involved.

Whatever route you choose, proper washing, cleaning and sanitation routines and procedures need to be followed. If you always just top up a water bowl without ever washing it. A biofilm (layer of bacteria) could easily develope.

ancientgirl
February 20th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Titanium! I'll have a look at some of the outdoor supply stores around where I live.

Thanks.

ScottieDog
February 26th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I live close to a Corning/Revere outlet. My dogs eat and drink from the same type of dishes I use. They also have stainless bowls. I had some really cute painted doggie bowls and some Disney bowls. After all the issues with lead paint in toys and products, I really looked at what I was feeding the dogs from. I took all the painted and glazed bowls way. Several of the Disney bowls are actually children's cereal bowls, but are made in China. I don't trust these. If I had children, I would not be using these for them either. My dog's don't care if their bowls are cute.

Food is served in a clean bowl each meal. Water bowls are changed daily. My dishwasher has a sanitize function, so I wash their dishes with mine--I know this would skeeve out some people. I have one shelf in the kitchen where I keep the dog dishes. It works for us. I hope if I'm feeding them from dishes that are deemed safe for people, that it will benefit them in the long run.

I grew up poor, so we never had any lead crystal dishes. It is so beautiful, but I don't think I would want to put any food products in it. Your post is very thought provoking; thank you. I think many of us want pretty or cute dishes for our pets. Pet dishes aren't held to the same standards that people dishes are. Even with precautions, we are always hearing about recalls due to lead.