Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

jack R. eats from out table

sandalk
February 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
i have A jack R. that will eat from our table if I don't clean it off immediately. When My husband catches him he smacks him. I don't think that is the way to train him. could someone please help me find a way to train him to stay off the table even if the food is left on. He is a smart dog. It shouldn't be to hard. I just want to do it with positive re enforcements and not negative.

babymomma
February 17th, 2009, 08:10 PM
With all Due respect Ma'am... Your dog doesnt really Know that it is wrong, As he hasnt been taught that it is wrong. Therefor, Punishments, like smacking him Is just going to confuse him further, and can cause other issues when it comes to training.

Please Ask your husband to refrain from smacking him. You will all be alot better off.

Thanks.

sandalk
February 17th, 2009, 08:38 PM
thank you mam. I do know that. That is why I posted this. I posted it for suggestions. Not for nasty comments.

aslan
February 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM
sandalk, babymomma changed her response to you out of respect. She is young and hearing someones husband is hitting an animal upsets her. If your aware that hitting the dog is wrong i along with bm would suggest you deal with that issue first and formost.

you need to give us some info, like how old is the dog. easiest sollutions are push all the chairs at the table in so the dog can't get up. or make sure you put the food away.

clm
February 17th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Leaving food on the table and giving the dog access to the food is the problem. If you leave food somewhere a dog can reach it they will indulge themselves.

Cindy