Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Orijen Puppy Large Breed...

gbscri
February 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hello Everyone just a quick question here. I have a 5mth old chocolate lab that i feed Orijen large breed puppy. The only problem i have is how do you know how much to feed her or when to increase her food. She used to be fed sciece diet and she was getting 3 cups a day, so i kept that same amount when i switched to this. Now on the back of the bag it gives you how much you should feed your puppy with how much she is expected to weigh as an adult. So if what the doctor is saying is correct she should be getting 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 a day. Which means she is way underfed?? But she barely eats her 3 cups a day? So basically should i be increasing her food or is she getting enough? She is a very picky eater still and i still mix in a bit of wet for her to eat it.

BenMax
February 17th, 2009, 02:20 PM
There should be suggested feeding quantity in regards to your dogs weight and size which I believe is on the bag.

bendyfoot
February 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Orijen is a vastly superior food to Sci Diet. Your puppy is going to actually digest/use more of the kibble now, rather than just poop out the fillers from the old food. In our experience, we were feeding about half the amount we had to feed of our old food once we switched to Orijen. Go with the feeding instructions on the bag as a starting point, and monitor the dog's body condition, adjusting the daily rations up or down as needed in response.

gbscri
February 17th, 2009, 02:32 PM
so are you saying to start feeding her the suggested 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 cups a day? we tried to increase her before and she just leaves the extra in her bowl? she was just at the vet on the weekend and weighs 41lbs at 5mths the vet said she is right on track, so should i just keep her at what she is?

bendyfoot
February 17th, 2009, 04:11 PM
If she's not finishing it, then just give her the three cups. Any feeding guidelines are just that, guidelines. You need to monitor the pup's body condition on a regular basis to determine if he's getting enough/too little/the right amount of food.

kandy
February 17th, 2009, 05:21 PM
When I switched from a low quality food to a high quality food, I found that I only needed to feed about 1/2 as much or less, even though the feeding guidelines were about the same.

I have a newfie girl who weighs right at 110 and she gets about 3 cups of food a day, my 45 lb mutt gets about 1 1/3 cups.

If the dogs weight and energy levels are appropriate, then I'd say keep feeding the same amount.

Winston
February 17th, 2009, 06:12 PM
OMG thats too funny! I had to to post this picture~! I guess we think alike!

My boy is 110 pounds and he eats almost 3 cups...sometimes less...we started off at 4 cups and he would leave it!

Cant wait to see more pics!:thumbs up