Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eating everything outside??

Mouthov
February 17th, 2009, 09:48 AM
My puppy is trying to eat everything outside now that the snow is melting. Is this good for her? She is eating leaves or sticks stuff that has fallen off the trees and has been under the snow. Sometimes she is just playing with the stick sometimes you see her trying to eat everything? Can it harm her?

SnowDancer
February 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Depends what it is. My Eskimo is about to turn 5 and is a snow eater as well as anything else on the street - I can't figure out for the life of me why he hasn't been poisoned or had an obstruction. Two years ago he was started on heartworm year round. My Toronto vet clinic found that with the so called "warmer" winters that many patients were starting to show up with various ailments around Jan. due to the melting snow and stuff available for eating - ailments that could be prevented by taking the heartworm meds. So he is about to finish year 2 and so far so good - except of course for wanting to pick up everything in site - from branches to garbage people drop on street. The "leave it" command is not in his vocabulary - he understands it, just won't do it. And Eskies have very strong jaws.

Mouthov
February 17th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks, I knew she was not the only one, she is pretty good and dropping it or leaving it, at least for now...she only has a tiny little mouth and good at letting me getting my fingers in it. She is little still so still trying to put everything in site in her mouth. I didnt think it could harm her if anything bother coming out but maybe she would learn and I thought of obstruction too so we do watch her and clean up what we think could harm her I was just curious.
Lisa

SnowDancer
February 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
My 22 lb. Eskimo has a BIG mouth - and teeth and jaws of death. His friend is a 10 lb. Pap who also is a Hoover, but has a much tinier mouth - for which his Mom is very grateful.

MindysMom
February 18th, 2009, 06:23 PM
My pup has found a whole new world since the snow has melted and thinks everything is to be eaten since I'm obviously trying to starve him! I'm hoping the novelty wears off because it has already for me.........